PDA

View Full Version : Aviation art. 75th anniversary DC3 VH-ANR

Aye Ess
11th Apr 2012, 21:21
Today is the 75th birthday of Douglas DC-3 VH-ANR. Construction number 1944, was first registered on the 12th April 1937, making it the oldest surviving DC-3 in Australia and one of the oldest in the world. It is beautifully displayed at the Queensland Air Museum at Caloundra. More about it on their website and Facebook page.

Anyhoo,here is a painting of the aircraft circa the 1960s. (Acrylic on stretched canvas 40cm x 50cm)

http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a401/alan_spears/AnsettNSWDC3.jpg

Fris B. Fairing
11th Apr 2012, 22:42
Well spotted Alan and a lovely painting as usual. Can we now look forward to another painting to celebrate her first flight on 24 April? If that doesn't give you enough lead time you could recreate the events of 17 July 1942 when the aeroplane carried her most famous passenger. On this day General Douglas MacArthur flew from Melbourne to Canberra to meet with Prime Minister Curtin. If there are any photos of the event we are yet to find them. This shouldn't present too much of a challenge to you given that you have already crossed over to the dark side by painting choo choos.

Rgds
Ron

Aye Ess
11th Apr 2012, 22:58
Hello Ron,actually I was alerted to the anniversary yesterday while perusing my Facebook page and the Queensland Air Museum's post. The painting was already completed. It sure has had quite a history. Currently working on an East-West Airlines F27. Railway art is now 'station'ary.

DC3Qld
12th Apr 2012, 00:16
A great picture Alan, really well done, love the reflection off the blades. I can just about hear her coming in if I close my eyes and dream. Just one thing though, I believe by the time she was carrying Airlines of NSW colours she had already been converted to viewmaster configuration. Keep them coming!

Jabawocky
12th Apr 2012, 00:19
No oil runs?

I bet they don't get added in like the ballast:E

Another outstanding piece of work:ok:

Aye Ess
12th Apr 2012, 00:29
DC3Qld....you are quite correct. In fact Frisbee Fairing (The Human Aviation Encylopedia) has just sent me a PM alluring to the viewmaster windows. Jaba is referring to my lack of ballast between the sleepers of my train painting,BUT,my little Jaba.....I am, as we speak, donning my beret,scarf and smock so that the correction shall be done today. Please check back for the amendment. Windows are such a 'pane' :E

Animalclub
12th Apr 2012, 01:00
I thought that there was only one viewmaster... a Qantas aircraft subsequently taken over by TAA - I think VH-AEW. (Can't be right I see that this is an Auster!)
In the 60's we had a great number of international tourists and we tried to accommodate them on this aircraft... they loved it.

cac_sabre
12th Apr 2012, 01:44
ANM ANR and TAK
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r68/sabrejet/DC-3TAKsm.jpg
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r68/sabrejet/tak14.jpg

Aye Ess
12th Apr 2012, 02:21
Nice work cac_sabre. You work in three dimensions,I have only to work in two,but then create the illusion of the third. My DC3 photos has also VH-INI as a viewmaster,although maybe that was a re-registration to one of the others.

Anyway,off to Dulux to buy some window paint. If they don't have it,'wattyl' I do?

Jabawocky
12th Apr 2012, 02:28
You seriously going to ruin that great work with oil runs......I was just kidding ya :ok:

Pretend it just had a wash and nice clean engines.......for another 30 min anyway :}

Your gags are not getting any better either AS....:sad: Wattyl you do ;)

Rollingthunder
12th Apr 2012, 02:49
http://www.gerasimon.com.au/images/DC3_paintings.jpg

DC3Qld
12th Apr 2012, 03:38
Animalclub, I believe the aircraft you are thinking of is VH-AEQ served last with BPA but currently lying in pieces on a farm in central Victoria.

an-124
12th Apr 2012, 05:05
Does anyone know the address / contact details of the farm?

Aye Ess
12th Apr 2012, 08:01
So I dressed like an artist..beret,smock and scarf. Put one hand on my hip and minced into the paint shop to purchase some window paint. The manager told me to leave !! Why ?? Because I was in a no smocking area.

Anyhoo, BEHOLD the marvels of (not so) modern viewmaster windows. Now VH-ANR is technically correct. Even oil runs for Jaba. :)

http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a401/alan_spears/ANSWDC3.jpg?t=1334202734

Piano Man
12th Apr 2012, 10:24
Truly fantastic as always and the prettiest aircraft ever made (IMHO)! Aye Ess you have done it again.

Two of my fave photos lately are the ones of the DC-3!

717tech
12th Apr 2012, 10:26
Fantastic work!

Fris B. Fairing
12th Apr 2012, 23:03
Speaking of Viewmaster DC-3s, VH-ANR was the first aircraft modified in Australia. The work was performed by Fairey Aviation at Bankstown between July and October 1958. Other Australian Viewmasters were:

VH-AVL ex QAL converted prior to sale to SPANZ as ZK-BYD
VH-IND converted by Ansett at Essendon sold to SPANZ as ZK-BYE
VH-ANM converted by Ansett at Essendon sold to SPANZ as ZK-CAW
VH-AEQ TAA Dismantled and in poor condition on a farm near Swan Hill
VH-TAK TAA Wrecked nose section at Mitiamo Air Museum north of Bendigo.

ZK-CAW survives as a McDonalds restaurant at Taupo, NZ.

The conversion of VH-IND and VH-ANM also involved removal of Wright 1820 engines and fitment with P&W 1830.

Rgds

Piano Man
13th Apr 2012, 00:19
Whilst on the subject of the DC-3/Dak, did anyone watch the programme "Bomber Boys" on SBS last Saturday. They showed Colin McGregor really man handling the DC-3 during take off and whilst landing.

You can only have the utmost respect for the pilots of the early day of airline flying. A far cry from the likes of our automated 737/A320 etc that we have today.

Apologies for the thread drift. I'm going back to stare longingly at Aye Ess' work again!

Aye Ess
13th Apr 2012, 00:39
Thanks 717 & Piano. I too have a soft spot for the DC3. I always wanted to fly one and one day I did. I worked for Air Qld on the Twin Otter and one day I hitched a ride on one of the company's DC3. It was a scenic flight around the coast and islands off Rockhampton. The captain went back to chat to pax and let ME fly it. Of course a real endorsed pilot was in the other seat,but I got to pole it around for one hour.

Well folks,what did I tell you about Frisbee? What he doesn't know about aviation ain't worth knowing.

Piano,drift all you like on my threads,this is a no stress area. I also loved 'Ice Pilots'. It was typical American drama,but the photography was breath taking.