PDA

View Full Version : Pushing back under reverse thrust?

scudpilot
11th Apr 2012, 12:55
I seem to recall that when the Korean Airlines 747 was shot down, as a consequence, an IL62 was stranded at @ LHR because no one would (understandably) service it.

Am i correct in saying it pushed back from the stand using reverse thrust and without the aid of a tug.

Did I imagine this?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
11th Apr 2012, 13:00
Plenty of aircraft can push back by using reverse thrust. I don't recall the IL-62 incident but it would, presumably, have been feasible with marshallers in attendance although whether it would have been allowed I don't know.

10 DME ARC
11th Apr 2012, 15:20
scudpilot - You are correct happened as per, without any real problems. I was at work in London Centre so never saw it but heard r/t.

AdamFrisch
11th Apr 2012, 15:53
Couple of years ago:

DC9 PUSH BACK WITH REVERSERS - YouTube

DaveReidUK
11th Apr 2012, 16:52
That must have been an interesting manoeuvre, given the IL-62's notorious CG problems. Presumably the pogo-stick earned its keep on that occasion.

PAXboy
11th Apr 2012, 17:33
Whilst, in emergency all a/c can do this - it is not usually done.

The DC-9 and 717 series have high mounted engines, you would not 'blow back' in a 737 as the pods are low slung and you could pick up a lot of FOD. You would need to ask for permission before doing this.

As I recall, a 73 in the USA a couple of years ago did a blow back in heavy snow and complicated his life very considerable, as he stirred up all the snow and ice on the apron and some was ingested.

Lastly, you do not normally do this on a busy apron because of the heavy wind that you then send across the apron. This can blow things into someone else's engine (whilst it's off) and blow people off their feet etc.

Propliners can do this too. They set the pitch and get reverse thrust. When my nephew was on the J41 he told me that they often did it at the small fields that they visited but the procedure was to ease open the throttle and close almost as soon as she moved. Then WAIT for her to stop rolling back, then centre the pitch, then apply the brake. If you touched the foot brakes whilst she was rolling - she would promptly sit down on her backside. :ooh:

ATNotts
11th Apr 2012, 18:12
Many years ago I spent a couple of pleasant hours on the viewing terrace at Albany NY (if I recall correctly it was on top of the pier) watching DC9s and 727s pushing back under their own power. It was quite a novelty. I wonder however just how economical it must have been.

Never saw it done in UK though, but I imagine that BMA and Dan Air must have done it at some time with their DC9s and 727s.

750XL
11th Apr 2012, 20:33
As far as I know, at most commercial UK airports power backs are not permitted. However, the Saudi C130s that visit MAN every now and then perform powerbacks in pairs, it's great to watch :ok:

Reverserbucket
11th Apr 2012, 23:46
Whilst, in emergency all a/c can do this - it is not usually done.

Tried it in the 146 once but it didn't seem to work :}

PAXboy
12th Apr 2012, 00:25
ReverserbucketTried it in the 146 once but it didn't seem to work :}VERY GOOD! :ok: Yes, caught out there with my sweeping generalisation.

You must be thrilled to have a thread that suits you so well ... :p

The SSK
12th Apr 2012, 09:00
I can recall an incident at Newcastle, at the time when the terminal was on the opposite side of the runway to where it is now, a landing BKS Britannia not quite making the turnoff, and backing up the runway and round the corner onto its stand – the apron would have been otherwise unoccupied, as was normal in those days. I bet the captain was an ace at parallel parking too.

WHBM
12th Apr 2012, 09:44
As far as I know, at most commercial UK airports power backs are not permitted.
Certainly the Scot Airways Dornier 328s at Edinburgh have done powerbacks away from the terminal - haven't had one there for a couple of years so not certain if they still do. Also notable is the instant transition once on the taxiway from reverse to forward, instead of several minutes to unpin the tug.

However, for jets I have always thought it a US thing, never seen it anywhere else. If you are out on the ramp at the time without ear defenders it's quite a show, as reverse thrust is not particularly efficient and it needs quite a high power setting - was once disembarking from a Jetstream 31 at Fresno CA when the American MD80 alongside was doing it, which deafened us all.

Whilst, in emergency all a/c can do this....Can you please tell me where the relevant knob for this is on my PA28, I must have missed it - and it will save my back when pushing around at the fuel pumps :)

TURIN
12th Apr 2012, 09:57
BA757 had to reverse off the runway after the unpleasantness with the Airtours 737 at MAN many years ago. We also used to ' marshal' the J41s back from stand. Not done nowadays of course due to elf n safety innit.

flying officer kite
13th Apr 2012, 09:23
ive been on a Loganair Twotter that did a power back in Glasgow..by jove it made some noise!!

NorthernChappie
13th Apr 2012, 12:26
Haven't been on an Eastern J41 that hasn't powered back in about 300+ departures from ABZ over the years.

englishkev
13th Apr 2012, 12:42
Just to back up NorternChappie's comment about Jetstream 41's, I seem to recall that was one of the main selling points to the American domestic operators.

oldpax
13th Apr 2012, 12:49
Beverleys used to do it a lot!!

Opsbeatch
13th Apr 2012, 13:23
Used to do it on ATR's and Sheds when positioning them around the airfield when the tug was U/S!

OB

Groundloop
13th Apr 2012, 17:51
However, for jets I have always thought it a US thing, never seen it anywhere else.

Was on an Air Canada 727 that did it at Toronto.

Peter47
13th Apr 2012, 18:32
I remember the IL62 incident on the the BBC news. They said that the departure lounge was evaculated as a precaution.

I remember flying on a NW airpass in 1986 and reverse thrust pushbacks were common, at least on the DC9. I've not seen any in the last few years - I presume that its no longer considered safe.

If Boeing is successful fitting an electric motor into the 737 nosewheel I dare say that we will see a lot more pushbacks without tugs.

tb10er
13th Apr 2012, 20:09
Back in the late '80s, I spent a whole afternoon at New Orleans watching several 737s pushing back under their own steam.