PDA

View Full Version : Crew Oxygen above FL450

nomorecatering
11th Apr 2012, 12:19
Most countries have a requrement for at least 1 crew member to be on O2 when above FL410/450. The altitude varies between countries.

However, there's more than a few videos on the net where the crew are way above FL450, as shown by the PFD, but neither crew are on O2. Now from the look of the crew, ie., how they are dressed, as in non uniforms, they could be private ops rather than an AOC operation.

Is this rule on O2 above FL450 often disregarded by owner operators. Is an explosive decompression non survivable at FL510 if the crew is not already wearing a mask. I understand the TOUC is around 6 seconds. seems that some rely on the auto descent feature that newer jets have.

Thoughts anyone?

mattman
11th Apr 2012, 12:28
Wow is this "attack private ops week (month, year)!"

Just in a bit of deffense, the guys could be positioning and could be AOC or under an AOC managment flying the aircraft owner.

Assumptions are the mother of all F"£$ Up's!!!!!!!

machone
11th Apr 2012, 12:33
A statement but what is your point.

M-ONGO
11th Apr 2012, 19:50
My boss does not like his staff wearing S&M type attire during flight ( well, at least not the FD crew)

BTW, do you fly a Hawker or some other kind of puddle jumper?

Edit...

http://www.pprune.org/biz-jets-ag-flying-ga-etc/475142-moving-up-1-pilot-cj4-2-pilot-citation-10-a.html

I guess it's a CJ judging by that post of yours. Never mind, you'll get above the weather one day!

On a more serious note, when they make an Eros that accepts b&h through the bit between my tash and the very faded rubber seal (not through age, because of Caribbean night stop UV erosion) I may choose to go on oxy.

If you need some time above FL280, maybe we can come to some kind of pay to fly arrangement? I'll fly (off 02) and you pay?

Did you wear oxy on the single pilot CJ?

Joking aside, is this post a wind up?

M-ONGO - always available for M reg charter under FAR 134.99

Empty Cruise
11th Apr 2012, 21:12
V little to do with regs - v much to do with common sense.

Did operate above 410 regularity, and always with one of us on O2. Boss didn't like that either - until we sat down and explained the rationale. Then he was suddenly very keen on the idea :ugh:

Wish people would look at what rules are just for rules' sakes - and which rules have been bought in the blood of some hapless pilots with too little imagination and their even more hapless pax :ouch:

Scroll Lock
12th Apr 2012, 22:23
M-ONGO.

whats your problem?

Grum
13th Apr 2012, 08:28
It would be interesting to know what percentage of crews actually follow this procedure.

What do you think?

mutt
13th Apr 2012, 11:49
We do...... bloody uncomfortable....

Above FL350 if one crew leaves the cockpit, above FL410 both crews required to wear O2.

Have heard of FAA ramp checking the O2 quantity for aircraft flown above FL410.

Mutt

hawker750
13th Apr 2012, 12:25
Both crew on O2 when we fly our Hawker above FL 410

Grum
13th Apr 2012, 12:54
Ok. and at FL 410? Only if one crew leaves their position?

hawker750
13th Apr 2012, 13:13
yes.
would not matter if the FAA checked our oxygen levels. De Havilland/Hawker Siddley/Bae/Rathyeon/Hawker Beechcraft/ etc/etc/ could never build an aircarft that did not leak oxygen. Every Hawker I have owned/operated (6 of them) have depleted oxygen when not in use. Any one here gor a leak free Hawker?

Globally Challenged
13th Apr 2012, 13:51
Don't ever recall hearing someone making an ATC report wearing an EROS

mutt
13th Apr 2012, 14:17
Ok. and at FL 410? Only if one crew leaves their position? Yep, as i said its bloody uncomfortable.......

Mutt

Scroll Lock
13th Apr 2012, 21:53
hawker750 Both crew on O2 when we fly our Hawker above FL 410

?? a 750 cant go any higher than 410 !!!