PDA

View Full Version : ICAO PPL to FAA (or JAA) PPL

Over_G
11th Apr 2012, 09:57
Hello all!

I have a little question about conversion my PPL(A). My 70 flight hours were build on A-22LS aeroplane, which meets the definition of FAA light sport aircraft. So, shall FAA recognise my PPL and flight hours, or not?
And another question:
As I know, there is no analogue to LSA in Europe, so it's just an aeroplane (like in Russia). Am I right?
Also I've got the answer from some european flight school, which contains following words:
"The problem is that this type of aircraft is not certified in (...) as a suitable for PPL training according to EASA/JAR requirements."
What kind of requirements do they mean?

Genghis the Engineer
11th Apr 2012, 10:10
If you have an ICAO PPL, then getting a 61.75 FAA licence on the back of it should be no trouble at-all. The Aeroprakt is as good as any other aeroplane for the purpose.

In Europe things are a bit different, but not much. I believe that the A-22LS has an MTOW of 600kg? Therefore it is just another aeroplane in Europe and not a microlight; your ICAO licence is just that, and in most of Europe you either have PPL privileges or can fairly readily obtain them (here in Britain you can just fly, so long as you have a current licence and medical, and stick to G-reg aeroplanes VFR).

That the aeroplane has no European CofA is completely irrelevant, as is that this is an LSA in the USA, the hours count, as does your ICAO PPL.

If you are looking to start a CPL somewhere in Europe, your licence should be valid for that purpose also.

G