PDA

View Full Version : Camera's underneath the aircraft?

PrestonPilot
9th Apr 2012, 22:59
I was just watching aircrash investigation and this accident was on: Nigeria Airways Flight 2120 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigeria_Airways_Flight_2120)
Now the tire caught fire, and was subsequently raised into the aircraft when the landing gear was raised. If the pilots had a camera aiming down at the wheels they could have seen the fire start. As it happened they didn't know what had happened and only realised there was a fire much too late. I know that Formula 1 car's have cameras positioned around the car and they are at optimum design for weight and aerodynamics and I'm sure they wouldn't have camera's fitted if it affected them, so why not aircraft?

FLEXPWR
10th Apr 2012, 00:43
Good point. I think technically, it is a rather simple matter. On the other hand it takes years to get anything certified in aviation, so my guess is wait another few years, cameras are already located for bird's eye views.

One more thing in the example you show: this would require to look at an additional screen and check the gears before retraction. Very impractical. I can't see any procedure to be developed in this direction. Could be useful to check an incorrect indication, but to look at the status before gears up, can't see it happening.

As the Wiki Article mentions, the cause was found to be underinflated tyres. I guess it cost less to inflate tyres than fitting cameras. Also retrofits on an old generation aircraft would be a costly exercise.

Flex

aveng
10th Apr 2012, 01:28
Every big jet also has a wheel well fire detector circuit. Usually the annunciator is right next to the gear lever. So if it goes off the crew select gear down.

Gin Jockey
10th Apr 2012, 03:14
Um I don't wanna c&^%up your thread or anything, but any reason for all the apostrophes i.e. "camera's" ???

grounded27
10th Apr 2012, 06:20
Hey, as an AV tech, just another worthless system to keep me in high demand!:D

Efe Cem Elci
10th Apr 2012, 07:50
Once had someone ask why airliner cockpits don't have side rearview mirrors like cars as it can be rather difficult to see the engines from the flight deck, especially in the smaller members of the family (737). And another time it was airbags in the yokes to protect pilots from serious injury during landing/takeoff incidents resulting in a crash. :ugh:

As mentioned by OK465, the A340-600 has these to aid in taxiing and manouvering.

De-Icing from inside the cockpit (on taxi camera) Airbus A340-600 - YouTube

Piltdown Man
10th Apr 2012, 08:32
Cameras would be an excellent idea but for two things. For some reason, Aviation authorities appear to be unable to certify anything from a third party within a reasonable period, always deferring to the manufacturer for approval which gives rise to the second reason: The sheer greed of the manufacturers. The appear to be unable/unwilling to allow any modification unless they get a HUGE cut, thus making worthwhile ideas like this too expensive.

PM

Examples: AOM changes which increase an aircraft's operating envelope. A piece of paper that costs thousands to obtain, for each airframe. Or adding a "standard" EGPWS callout at $5,000 per call per airframe.

RR_NDB
10th Apr 2012, 16:05
Hi,

Cameras should exist where you need a good view of important "sectors". You have it underneath.

Could be "outside" MEL and are CHEAP.

Mac

PS

Cameras would save Discovery (leading edge tiles damage), would help JAL 123 crew, etc. Could be pan and zoom capable.

I saw it installed in SAA A340-600.

PS2

On top (of high wing A/C) could had help UTair ATR72 crew

TURIN
11th Apr 2012, 11:37
777-300 has one on the fwd fuselage directed at the nose L/G and also one on each tail plane L/E.

grounded27
12th Apr 2012, 01:26
Still just more or less a novelty, there are no real practical applications as applied to aircraft safety. Thermal sensors etc have been used effectively, a camera near or inside a gear well would likely foul quickly and be short on the "to do" list of things for flight crew to monitor.