PDA

View Full Version : Obituary for Sqn Ldr Joe Blyth DFC* AFC*, joined up at 15

airborne_artist
9th Apr 2012, 17:59
"Colin Ian Blyth, known throughout his life as “Joe”, was born on April 1 1925 in Maidstone and was educated at the local County School. Aged only 15, in 1940 he volunteered for aircrew duties in the RAF, having “stolen” his older sister’s national insurance number, allowing him to claim that he was 18."

"On the night of September 24 1942, Blyth’s Whitley crash-landed in the Ardennes. Some of the crew were captured but Blyth was able to head south on foot, en route being helped by French farmers. In Lyons he was picked up by the local escape line and moved to a “safe house” in Marseilles. From there he was taken with other evaders to Canet Plage, near Perpignan. After a nerve-racking wait on the beach, the party was transferred to the Polish-manned felucca Seawolf, and arrived safely in Gibraltar two days later."

"Blyth was an experienced instructor on the Meteor jet fighter when he left for Korea in March 1951 as one of four RAF pilots selected to assist No 77 Squadron of the Royal Australian Air Force to convert from the piston-engine Mustang to the Meteor. Although not authorised to fly on operations, Blyth managed to persuade his Australian CO to allow him to go on a few sorties — in the event he completed more than 100. "

Squadron Leader Joe Blyth - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/military-obituaries/air-force-obituaries/9194400/Squadron-Leader-Joe-Blyth.html)

They really don't make them like that any more.

Argus
9th Apr 2012, 23:58
I've misplaced my copy of the 'Fleet Air Arm Songbook', but if memory serves me correctly, there's reference to a Flt Lt Joey Blyth in a ditty in said publication about fighter pilots in the Korean War.

Don't encounter those of his ilk any more.

Union Jack
10th Apr 2012, 10:14
I've misplaced my copy of the 'Fleet Air Arm Songbook', but if memory serves me correctly, there's reference to a Flt Lt Joey Blyth in a ditty in said publication about fighter pilots in the Korean War.

"Now one newcomer's keen to fly,
It's Flight Lieutenant Joey Blyth,
Two hundred hours a month he'd try,
It's foolish but it's fun."

plus three more verses about JB, including:

"Those fooking jets may be OK,
But I'll take Mustangs any day,
The piston engine's here to stay,
It's foolish but it's fun"

(from K-9 Blues to the tune of It's Foolish But It's Fun)

With acknowledgements to Argus who so rightly says:

Don't encounter those of his ilk any more.

Jack

Argus
11th Apr 2012, 08:00
Thanks Union Jack. Seems to line up nicely with the DT Obit. Pleased to note that statutory senility hasn't yet been overtaken by Alzheimers.

There are other 'gems' in said book, including the tale of two desperados and a forlorn Inuit heroine on the Rio Grande. One of my Alte Kameraden in the FAA was able to receit accurately the entire work when he was totally intoxicated (couldn't recall a word when sober).