PDA

View Full Version : ATPL(Aeroplane) wants to get ATPL(Heli)

Pappa Delta
9th Apr 2012, 17:32
Hello,

I want to get the CPL Helicopter. I have a FAA PPL helicopter (Not valid) and a full unfrozen ATPL Aero plane. I did my 14 exams in 2005.

Since I have to get some theory anyways, I decided to do the ATPL Helicopter theory.

Since I have already done the 14 ATPL exams for aero plane, I expect to get credits.

After studying the JAR-FCL, I have concluded that according to Appendix 3 to JAR-FCL 2.050, the theory subjects I have to take are:

- Aircraft General Knowledge
- Flight performance and planning (Helicopter)
- Principles of flight (Helicopter)
- Operational Procedures.

Can anybody confirm this is correct?
If not then what is correct?

Best regards

paco
10th Apr 2012, 03:09
That's probably true. Previously in UK all you needed under amendment 3 was POF(H) to get the CPL(H). It may well still be true, but we are researching it. Other countries, definitely Sweden, require all those exams for the CPL(H).

However, the ATPL(H) is a different story. You should have to do a set of bridging exams, but the UK CAA "do not have the faciities" for this. Our workaround is to get the CPL(H) as above then when you have the experience for the ATPL(H) claim an exemption for the IR based on your ATPL(A). The difference between the CPL(H) and ATPL(H) is essentially the IR.

The other aternative is to take all 14 exams.

jayteeto
10th Apr 2012, 07:35
Plus a multicrew type on your licence. My ATPL has just been replaced with a CPL IR under JAR.

MartinCh
10th Apr 2012, 19:42
your FAA PPL(H) not valid? You mean you don't have flight review 'recently' and no current FAA class 3 medical, right? Standalone FAA PPL(H) does not expire.
Good that you have it, for the paperwork requirements for doing the comm theory, though.
As Paco said, UK CAA and heli vs airplane ATPL theory exams issues are :mad:.
Now that there's no heli interim anymore, the bridging exams as per ex-JAR-FCL should be in place.

paco
11th Apr 2012, 01:58
Don't hold your breath, but I will ask my inspector on the 18th. I will then find out if it's worth keeping the bridging course in our training manual.

Phil