PDA

View Full Version : Hooray- New Uniforms For All

Kitbag
9th Apr 2012, 09:34
Well that is how the DT are putting it. When will the MOD spinmeisters learn to do their job?

Diamond Jubilee Uniforms Unveiled (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/royalty/9160149/The-Queens-Diamond-Jubilee-ceremonial-military-uniforms-are-unveiled.html?frame=2174486)

Makes it sound like there have been specially designed suits for the parade; in these financially tough times that is definitely the wrong message to be broadcasting. Would have been better to stress the traditions behind the uniform surely?

Also just to be PC, why no Gurkha's or girlies?

dallas
9th Apr 2012, 10:19
The bloke in the second photo wearing the tiger doesn't seem to be a bugler - or is that cutbacks? :8

Dengue_Dude
9th Apr 2012, 10:29
Wow, makes the tears run doesn't it . . . sadly down your trouser-legs.

What an enormous piece of irrelevance.

Ali Barber
9th Apr 2012, 11:14
First pic, 4th from the left, front row: Will he eventually grow into his uniform?

TheWizard
9th Apr 2012, 11:32
The Regiment officer (assumption as he is in MTP) at the back right seems a bit confused as to what he is supposed to be doing.
Saluting maybe?!

A2QFI
9th Apr 2012, 11:38
I am unable to see any substantial change to what is worn day to day. The DT is not helping by implying that anything new has been brought in for one off parade

MG
9th Apr 2012, 11:55
There's nothing new here at all, and in fairness to the Telegraph, there's no implication that they are new, just a photocall to show what will be worn in June. Good to see, apart from the Guards, that the army are dressing up! :ok:

Union Jack
9th Apr 2012, 12:10
Also just to be PC, why no Gurkhas or girlies?

Agree with A2QFI, but to be fair, the Royal Marine Bugler in the first photo could be a girly - and just to be non PC - the Lieutenant Commander in the first photo is definitely throwing up a pretty girly salute!

Jack

glojo
9th Apr 2012, 12:10
Nothing like getting the facts right..

Reference the query regarding the bugler in photograph #2

Go to #11 and see another image of that man and this time he is described as a being in the Coldstream Guards... Far be it for me to gossip but I would suggest he is not even a 'pongo'

Dare I suggest he is actually a Royal Marine, but then I guess we are talking about the Telegraph and NEVER let the truth get in the way of a good yarn.

recce_FAC
9th Apr 2012, 12:57
Looks like the RAF are still buying their best uniforms from George at ASDA.At least us Pongo's look smart when we put on our Sunday best.

NutLoose
9th Apr 2012, 13:18
http://www.uniformmarket.com/magazine/010405/graphics/BARCO_McDonald_Crew.jpg

:rolleyes:

P6 Driver
9th Apr 2012, 13:26
Some of those wearing berets appear not to know that the cap badge should be correctly be positioned over the left ear. Beginners, obviously.
;)

airpolice
9th Apr 2012, 13:40
Who or What is the guy on the far right of photo 2? The uniform is light blue but he's not mentioned in the text.

As for the Bugler, do they carry the Bugle in that big drum shaped box tied to their shoulders?

As for picture 3, Warrant Officer second Class Terry Gardener Senior Drum Major of the Royal Air ForceI wasn't aware the RAF had any Second Class Warrant Officers, but every day's a schoolday. Looks like it' s actually Senior Drum Major: Warrant Officer Terry Gardner.

NutLoose
9th Apr 2012, 13:49
Some nice furs on there that would look better on their original owners.

Two's in
9th Apr 2012, 15:42
the Lieutenant Commander in the first photo is definitely throwing up a pretty girly salute!

I think he's just got the sun in his eyes, that, or the hairy-arsed Bootneck behind him broke his wrist prior to getting on parade.

langleybaston
9th Apr 2012, 15:56
Once upon a time, not so long ago ...........

The Royal Marines were in two branches, the Royal Marine Light Infantry, and the Artillery.
In those days, it was might have been correct to refer to "buglers" because they were LI, and LI have buglers.

However, the men with drums in the aforesaid illustrations are definitely drummers, even to the drum badge upper right.

Except for the bass drummer, we can expect all RM drummers in full dress to carry the slung bugle, as part of normal drummer kit.

I think! [My expertise, for what it is, does not extend to the RM].

eglnyt
9th Apr 2012, 16:25
Members of the RM Band Service are either Buglers or Musicians. Those in the Corps of Drums are Buglers and play Bugle, Herald Trumpet and Drum. They can be identified by the thin red stripe on the trousers and the drum badge. Members of the Band are Musicians and can be identified by the thick red stripe and a music lyre badge.

langleybaston
9th Apr 2012, 16:53
Fascinating: buglers with a drum badge ............

Thank you, we live and learn.

Danny42C
9th Apr 2012, 17:31
The lovely Mace on the right of Pic 2 :

We had one exactly like it in 3608 FCU at Thornaby in '52, presented by the Lord Lieutenant of the North Riding.

Some idiot ran a truck over it - cost us an arm and a leg out of Non-Public Funds to have it fixed by Boosey & Hawkes (wasn't insured!).

Adjutant's fault; who was the Adjutant ?; Oh, dear.

Happy days, Danny42C

air pig
9th Apr 2012, 19:24
But is that Lance Corporal Johnson Beharry VC in the back row in combats?

Regards

Air pig.

Rigga
9th Apr 2012, 19:47
Has the bloke in #12 trapped a load of Blackbirds? Or is he a Cook going to make a Blackbird Pie?

Tankertrashnav
10th Apr 2012, 09:50
Picture 1, the five guardsmen in bearskins. Virtual prize for the first to identify which of the footguards they are in, from left to right. My ex Scots Guards dad taught me how to identify them as a kid and its one thing I never forgot.

Dont think that's Beharry VC, unless he's put a pound or two on recently

Oh bugger, just noticed if you scan through the pics they are all identified. Then of course they make the usual mistake of referring to them in the caption as a Grenadier Guard etc, the correct term being Guardsman. Another thing my old dad taught me!

500N
10th Apr 2012, 10:08
Tanker

I had just listed them in order and then noticed the edit to your post.
Anyway, all in good fun.

Not sure how you tell them but was the method your father taught you
to do with how the buttons are spaced ?

MightyGem
10th Apr 2012, 13:15
Warrant Officer second Class Terry Gardener Senior Drum Major of the Royal Air ForceWell, at least he got a mention in piccie 3, which is more than he did in piccie 2.

pasir
10th Apr 2012, 14:42
What a sad sight - Fred Kanos Army lives on !

Tankertrashnav
10th Apr 2012, 14:55
Not sure how you tell them but was the method your father taught you
to do with how the buttons are spaced ?

That's right 500N. In order of seniority, Grenadiers singly spaced, Coldstream in pairs, Scots in threes, Irish in fours and Welsh in fives.

Also less visible in that photo Grenadiers have grenade collar badges and a white plume (not a hackle), Coldstream a garter star and a red plume, Scots a thistle and no plume, Irish a shamrock and a blue plume and Welsh a leek and a green and white plume.

And now we are miles away from Military Aircrew - sorry!

sisemen
10th Apr 2012, 16:23
The little black number as worn by Dan Hughes looks more appropriate for a gays charabanc trip.

And they obviously ran out of material for trousers of the little leopard skin bloke.

And it is now obvious why the Guards regiments ought not to have relaxed their height criteria looking at the little feller with the apparently overly large bearskin.

The RAF guys look to be the smartest of the lot.

jindabyne
10th Apr 2012, 19:40
:(

It was ever thus ---

But why is the ponsie little RN Lt Cdr scribbler saluting?

Still have my very smart, and well-preserved RAF No1 and Mess kit uniforms, if anyone's interested! I keep them out of pride, but I think when I'm gone they'll probably either be burned with me, or EBay'd. They certainly don't fit me anymore - but then not a lot does:( (Maybe they'd fit Foldie?)

recce_FAC
10th Apr 2012, 23:12
http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/statusicon/user_offline.gifhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/buttons/report.gif (http://www.pprune.org/report.php?p=7127789) http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/buttons/reply_small.gif (http://www.pprune.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=7127789&noquote=1)ha ha ha , you cannot be that blinkered. ASDA dress uniforms .

pasir
11th Apr 2012, 19:41
The Circus comes to town -

Skilly
11th Apr 2012, 22:44
The Royal Marine Rupert (Rear left) has his sleeves rolled up. The current directive states the new PCS-CU uniform is to have sleeves rolled down. Obviously the info has filtered down to the marines yet, either that or he's special.

Lima Juliet
11th Apr 2012, 23:07
Skilly

If you look close enough the bootneck is wearing CS95 made from MTP - it is not PCS CU. The first batch of MTP that went to 3 Cdo Bde was made in CS95 pattern until we moved to the new "combat pyjamas" that is PCS CU.

You are correct on sleeves down and shirt out after CGS' directive for PCS CU - however, I have yet to see RAF directive from CAS for "down and out" for the pyjama look - which IMHO looks :yuk:

So there is always hope that Sir Stephen will direct "up and in", which would be great :ok:

Otherwise, we may as well add NT to the name of PCS CU to get it named properly!

LJ

Unchecked
11th Apr 2012, 23:23
Have you tried rolling the sleeves up on the PCS ?

They're a right CU (NT).

sisemen
12th Apr 2012, 03:11
Like the wooly pully introduction some (many) years ago which was designed for no tie what's the betting that, at some stage, somebody on the Air Staff will decree that combats look smarter with a tie when not actually being worn in combat.

Climebear
12th Apr 2012, 09:08
LJ

AP1358 (AL14) has been amended to include PCS CU. It states that the lightweight jacket is designed to be worn outside the waistband of the trousers. (Which is different to saying that it is to be worn outside the waistband of the trousers). Nothing on sleeves though.

My understanding is the RM have directed up and in for PCS.

The RN are trialling a Dark Blue version of PCS CU that they appear to be wearing up and in.

It would appear that the RAF will be trailing a blue/grey version of PCS CU to be worn by all those people (stand fast RAF Regt) who currently wear CS95on UK MOBs because of the practicality not because they need to be camouflaged.

Skilly - the down and out for PCS directive is from CGS (ie for the Army). He doesn't (yet) have the authority to give direction on the wearing of uniform by the other 2 Services. That said, from the several threads on ARRSE, it would appear that siginifcant elements of his own Service are ignoring his direction.

CB

rmac
12th Apr 2012, 18:18
LOL Siseman

27 years too late...Bruggen 1985, RAFP SD814, done in DPM ....and....blue shirt, black tie and white hat, the height of military chic no less ......:O

madlandrover
12th Apr 2012, 22:01
the Lieutenant Commander in the first photo is definitely throwing up a pretty girly salute!

Yes, but he is a submariner...

Union Jack
12th Apr 2012, 22:55
.... the Lieutenant Commander in the first photo is definitely throwing up a pretty girly salute! - UJ

Yes, but he is a submariner.... - MLR

Oh no he's not, MLR - better have the old eyes tested before your next lesson!:ok:

Jack

PS Not many girly submariners around either ....:=

November4
13th Apr 2012, 08:20
PS Not many girly submariners around either ...

For the moment....

BBC (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16088431)

pasir
13th Apr 2012, 14:19
If smartness is the aim - uniforms of the US armed forces of WW2 are worth considering. - The cut, finish, fit and quality of an ordinary GI buck privates uniform could make that of a British officers resemble something out of a used clothes store.

Today - sadly some US forces uniforms seem to have lost much of their
previous qualities.

madlandrover
13th Apr 2012, 19:40
Oh no he's not, MLR - better have the old eyes tested before your next lesson!

Definitely - those looked rather like dolphins falling off his left shoulder. And the distinct resemblance to a slightly camp 2.5 who was BRNC staff 9 years ago :ok:

NB: no need for my eyes to work - that's what I have students for :E

mini
13th Apr 2012, 23:35
I have to admit that I'm no lover of the IDF, for various reasons...

But you've got to award them the gold medal for efficiency...

They spend their Shekels on defence, f**k all else.

By all means parade for pomp et al... pissing taxpayers money down the drain for the benefit of Sky et al?. How much did this parade cost?

Harley Quinn
14th Apr 2012, 18:14
How much did this parade cost? It hasn't happened yet

The guys get paid whether they're walking round London or Helmand. (Probably cheaper to have them in London, no Op Bonus)
The uniforms are standard issue for the particular branch of the armed forces- its a non-story.

The parade/s will raise trade, thus raising taxes both direct and indirect. The Treasury (hence the country) should have a net increase in the tax take well beyond the cost of tailoring some uniforms.
Remember the parades are in celebration of our Sovereign not a State that's been in existence only a few years longer than she has been our Head of State.

I'm rather more pi**ed off with the use of the Armed Forces to dig LOCOG out of the clag by providing free security for close on 3 months.