PDA

View Full Version : CASA ATPL Air Law Exam (Tour of Duty)

krbys
9th Apr 2012, 05:52
I have a question about Tour of Duty in Australia (CASA CAO.48.3).

CAO.48.3 is the regulation of tour of duty for three pilots.

3.9 Following a tour of duty a pilot shall have a rest period of not less than 12 consecutive hours except that, after operating under the provisions of paragraph 3.12 of this subsection and where a tour of duty exceeded 11 hours or the flight time exceeded 8 hours a pilot shall have a rest period of not less than 24 hours before being rostered for duty under the provisions of subsection 1.

3.12 Notwithstanding the provision of paragraph 3.2 of this subsection, where a tour of duty is restricted to not more than 14 hours, a seat approved by CASA as capable of providing adequate rest, may be provided for resting flight crew members in lieu of bunks or berths.

Suppose the conditions as below
-TOD of three pilots with rest facility of seat exceeds 11 hours (or exceeds 8 hours in flight time).
-Next duty will be done by three pilots.

My question is how long minimum rest is necessary in above case. I think that 12 hours rest is enough and 24 hours rest will only be applied if the consequent duty will be done by two pilots because last part of 3.9 specifies "before being rostered for duty under the provisions of subsection 1". Here, subsection 1 is the regulation for two pilots operation.

But as I saw the answer of some practice exam, it says the adequate minimum rest is minimum of 24 hours in above case.

I wonder if in this case we can take minimum of 24 hours rest.

Please let me clear if somebody knows this issues well. I will take AALW tomorrow.....

Regards,

Gligg
17th Jul 2012, 16:44
I am thinking it might make life a bit easier by just taking the relevant CAO's and CAR's listed in the syllabus to the exam, ie taking the rest out of the folders - less to flick through. Has anybody run into trouble with the exam moderators doing this? Nothing is mentioned on the ASL site expressly forbidding it.

Gligg
17th Jul 2012, 17:57
Sorry krbys, I have somehow posted my question on the wrong thread.... but in any case good luck with the exam!