PDA

View Full Version : Bone Domes

kokpit
8th Apr 2012, 18:20
Had this pop up in conversation with some of our colonial friends, and suspect I should have known the answer, but don't :uhoh:

What's the white / silver reflective tape (two pieces 1 vert 1 horiz) forming a cross on the top/back of a bone dome for?

Cheers,

Sloppy Link
8th Apr 2012, 18:27
Ermmm....reflecting?

dropintheoggin
8th Apr 2012, 18:32
IIRC they put black tape over it on Tucano pilots' Mk4s because the reflection of it in the front cockpit glares too much for the backseater.

Useful for the SAR guys to spot you in the drink I suppose...

kokpit
8th Apr 2012, 18:37
Thanks for that Sloppy, I knew it wouldn't take long, guess you're bored of eggs right now ;)

Milo Minderbinder
8th Apr 2012, 18:39
been there before
Needs merging
http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/270259-helmet-cross.html Fourth hit on Google

Alternative view is that it tells rescuers where to drill to carry out an emergency trepanation....

kokpit
8th Apr 2012, 18:44
Thanks Milo.

cornish-stormrider
8th Apr 2012, 18:54
Aiming point for the lineys tomato cannon??

Sloppy Link
8th Apr 2012, 21:13
Not fitted at all on some bone domes.

oldmansquipper
8th Apr 2012, 22:34
Reflective tape was fitted to bone domes as an aid to location. It was originally an aircrew "WIBNI" (Wouldn`t It Be Nice If...).probably after a BOI. At the time Bonedomes were silver (Mk1 &1a) or white (Mk2)

Then... another BOA (bunch of aircrew) realised that, on low level ops `X marks the spot`, particularly with the green Mk 3s & 4s of the 70s/80s. So...Squippers had to cover up the cross with black tape....

Then... another BOA, post BOI, realised that if you needed to strip off the bodge tape to make yourself visible it could be impossible to remove with cold wet hands...so the tape was removed...then replaced with a new tape cover over 2/3rds of the tapes adhesive area...Simples!.

Then... another BOA (F4j mates??) wanted to look different and have white helmets again (to relieve heat stress, its said) so the tape came off

Then... another BOA (F3 mates??) wanted helmets to match their jets - AD Grey...and so on and so on...:ugh:

It seemed every time someone commented on a BOI usually "reflecting" - (excuse the pun) the view of the week...Squippers had to change everything..No problem - its what we do (or..did in my case) .

A bit like the removal of speech facility on PLBs with intro of SARBE 7 - it was an Aircrew Requirement that started it all - Squips just do as they are told...Such requirements usually stay as long as the person who thought of it is in post .....or it embarasses a `senior` (No names, but try shouting into a SARBE 7 to to attract the SAR boys...its not very effective - allegedly);)

salad-dodger
8th Apr 2012, 22:50
tape on, tape off, must have been a tough job :suspect:

wasn't you banging on about being the EA for aircrew gloves the other day was it? That must have been another toughy :ooh:

Salad-Dodger

Unchecked
8th Apr 2012, 23:47
Hhhhmmmm. Flying Support personel having to do something to support those that fly. Shocking. Next you'll be telling me you collected a wage for this madness.:rolleyes:

ihoharv
9th Apr 2012, 01:51
My fave bone dome memory is attending the Aviation Medical Training Center RAF North Luffenham, Rutland, circa 1980 and a Sikh Turbaned Cpl pronouncing in a wonderful Indian-ish accent "there are two sizes of bone dome and one of dem is your size..."

Oh well - had to be there, I guess.

And then off to the 8-25K decompression to get reacquainted with Eau du Ruddles.

BBadanov
9th Apr 2012, 02:14
Ermmm....reflecting?

Yes, we used to have white helmets in Oz with reflective tape (in the squadron colours) forming a 'V' on the visor cover (before Alpha helmets) and a strip down the back. From above for a SAR crew, this would show up as an arrow pointing which way the head was facing.

sisemen
9th Apr 2012, 02:40
Well, salad dodger and Unchecked. What a wonderful sense of teamwork and appreciation for those sub-human lesser mortals that beaver away in the background to keep the aircrew flying and safe. Your attitude should be held up as a model for all :yuk:

When I fly I am very aware of the efforts put in by all and sundry to make my aircraft safe and flyable. But maybe that's because, once upon a time, I wasn't a pilot - merely a blunty - and can see all aspects.

Easy Street
9th Apr 2012, 04:52
Why was a post entitled 'in defence of the squippers' when nobody had actually criticised any squippers up to that point? Everyone's on a hair trigger round here, it would seem!

Tashengurt
9th Apr 2012, 07:52
Amazing how the simplest thread degenerates into prissy bitching.
Fwiw, yes the tape was a pain to remove. No, it wasn't the end of the world to be doing it in a nice warm office with the radio on and a brew.
There you go. statement of fact, no offence taken, given or intended. Simples.

Unchecked
9th Apr 2012, 07:52
M'eh - to be fair the squippers are actually the good guys at our Stations flying prevention branch. And yes there are many other good guys but actually there are many, many rotten stinkers where I work. Very bitter, twisted souls " you broken MY aircraft again, Sir" - said nowadays without even a hint of humor. Everything met by SNCOs, SACs and Cpls with a shrug of the shoulders and the word Sir seems more and more sarcastic the more I hear it.

I know morale is low, but there's no excuse for a lack of professionalism. It certainly focuses the pre-flight walk around. Again, I do recognize the gems out there.

My reason for posting ? Well, just the whole ground crew moaning about aircrew attitude that I see every day at work and detected here. It's fine up to a point, but now used as an excuse for everything.

Grobling About
9th Apr 2012, 09:13
I was deeply saddened to read Unchecked’s post. As a JEngO and subsequently SEngO, I servedon a number of squadrons. In thatposition I had a unique opportunity to see both sides of the argument. What I also learned was that everybody and Imean everybody from the most junior SAC to Squadron Commander wanted to do thevery best job that they possibly could. Theproblem is that there is never enough of anything, be-it aircraft, people, tools,spares, support equipment, hours in the day. Everybody is trying to do their bit and somebody or something is always trying to prevent it, or at leastmake it difficult and everybody’s failure is somebody else’s fault.

Today I work for an ‘evil, money-grabbing’ Contractor,supporting one of the RAF’s few remaining fleets. Again I occupy a unique position working withboth the RAF and DES. I cannot believehow bad the morale is in both organisations and the absolute feeling ofhelplessness that seems to pervade. Again there is the inevitable search to blame mutual failure on somebodyelse and I can see how such a feeling flows down to every level of the organisation. The shortage of aircraft, people, tools,spares, support equipment and hours in the day don’t seem to have changed, butwe also need to add the continuous pace of out of area detachments and appallinglymaintained facilities.

Even in the ‘good old days’ of the cold war it was the sameand usually there would be 2 squadrons with the same number, by that I mean theaircrew and the groundcrew. Returning tothe thread, the squippers sat closer to the aircrew and were always seenas the good guys when everything else was going wrong. Whatever the case, recognition andappreciation was the key and with efforts on both sides, led by the SquadronCommander and the SEngO, driving mutual recognition and appreciation of thetask performed by each of the team, it was possible to create a single squadron, improved moral, efficiencyand performance. I do still firmlybelieve that every single man and woman is still trying to do his or herabsolute best. Is there ananswer? Probably not but what I wouldsay is that things will only continue to get worst when people who should beworking together fail to appreciate and respect the efforts that each ismaking. Everybody, DES, RAF, aircrew,groundcrew, contractors, all of us are enduring an unprecedentedly difficulttime. Success comes from workingtogether against a common enemy, whoever that may be.

wiggy
9th Apr 2012, 09:26
Useful for the SAR guys to spot you in the drink I suppose...

No "suppose" about it.....:ok: :ok:

diginagain
9th Apr 2012, 11:14
Always useful in the middle of Germany.

Thud_and_Blunder
9th Apr 2012, 11:41
ihoharv,

I well remember suffering at the hands of that easily-identifiable fella in 1976 - he shoehorned my bonce (beret size 63) into a Medium Broad Mk2 that I had to suffer for the first half of my Linton course. It was only after the 6th or 7th earseal rupture (2 of them in flight) that I was allowed to be re-measured; the superb squippers at 1FTS provided a Large and allowed me to fly without headaches for the first time in months.

...and yes, I had tried changing it earlier but my creamie Fg Off QFI thought that the ex-pongo A/Plt Off stude was trying to make excuses for crap results.

P6 Driver
9th Apr 2012, 13:37
Always useful in the middle of Germany.

Or..

Always useful when you're in trouble and need to be seen - the location's irrelevant.
:ok:

sisemen
9th Apr 2012, 14:01
Everything met by SNCOs, SACs and Cpls with a shrug of the shoulders and the word Sir seems more and more sarcastic the more I hear it.

Might I suggest that there may be a lesson for you right there Unchecked?

cazatou
9th Apr 2012, 14:36
sisemen

I CONCUR

Unchecked
9th Apr 2012, 15:45
Ha ! If only I was a 'Sir', I might just be offended !