PDA

View Full Version : Horsa glider display over Shropshire

Krystal n chips
7th Apr 2012, 10:29
This little piece may be of interest...

Ludlow Festival fly-past planned « Shropshire Star (http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/2012/04/06/ludlow-festival-fly-past-planned/)

I assume it will still be on tow however given the little matter of a retrieve....and a suitable airfield.

Just wondering if there are any more displays planned...and if so, where and when.

VX275
7th Apr 2012, 10:41
I know Shropshire is mostly rural but 5 days late for an April fools joke is a bit much.:rolleyes:
As much though I'd love to see a Horsa in flight there isn't a flight capable full sized Horsa anywhere in the world. The replica being built at Shawbury by the Assault Glider Project is the best you'll get, but it is never intended to be a flyer (BAE Systems lawyers won't allow it).
However there is a group of modellers that fly RC models of the Horsa towed by model Dakotas.

Krystal n chips
7th Apr 2012, 10:49
I was aware of it's construction, but not that it would a static exhibit only....in that case, yet another piece of "sensationalist" reporting from the paper in question....as well as yet another promotion for Ludlow....the "only town in Shopshire"....cough !