PDA

View Full Version : Closed Thread - Understanding Failure

Lightning Mate
5th Apr 2012, 14:43
I note that "Cryptic" has been shut down due to what has been perceived as low interest level/posting. This is despite the fact that there have only been a few occasions where nothing has been posted for two days.

Now check the thread "What a Way to Go - 1950s Style"

Last post today - previous post July 2011 - nine months dormant.

WTFO??????????????

edit: and since the threads' inception it attracted 700 replies and over 19,000 views!!!

Tankertrashnav
6th Apr 2012, 08:42
I agree LM. Certainly was a thread which only appealed to a certain audience, but those of us who did partake enjoyed it. I was rather hurt by PPRuNe Pop's description of our "sorry" efforts to keep the thread going, I thought some of the recent clues were rather clever. Frankly I dont see what harm we were doing - anyone who wasn't interested could stay away. I ignore many threads which don't interest me but it doesn't mean I want to see them closed.

NutherA2
6th Apr 2012, 09:50
I agree 100% with LM & TTN, I think this thread was entertaining, cheerful and thankfully free of rant. I miss it, can't understand why the closure decision was made so abruptly (or, indeed, at all) & would like to see it restored to service.

skytrain10
6th Apr 2012, 09:50
Tend to agree David/tankertrashnav. Although my contirbutions were somewhat limited (my cryptic skills are clearly lacking) I did enjoy the odd occasion when I joined in. Interesting that you highlight the participation - I have looked at the interest levels of numerous threads and the "take-up", ie percentage or replies to views is interesting:
Cryptic: 3.6%
What Cockpit: 1.4%
Challenge: 3.5%
and....
Did you fly the Vulcan: 0.3%
Now I realise the above is unfair in that the latter thread I'm sure holds the greatest level of interest, but despite over 500,000 views, the actual participation level is only 2.5 times more than cryptic.

If cryptic has failed it is because there are few players and it is generally slow moving. From a personal viewpoint whereas I love crosswords, I have struggled with some of the more complex clues, some of which going back a month or so appear to have required in depth knowledge of aeronautical engineering!

Lightning Mate
6th Apr 2012, 09:54
We could always start Mk3.

Tankertrashnav
6th Apr 2012, 10:23
Yes LM but I think we deserve a response from Pprunepop - perhaps he was just having a bad day!

Lightning Mate
6th Apr 2012, 10:32
Less than 24 hours since the start of this thread and so far five replies and 250 views.

ducksoup
6th Apr 2012, 10:50
All the quizzes seem to be inhabited by very few people and for my money are misplaced in this forum.

Noyade
6th Apr 2012, 12:31
misplaced in this forum.

Tend to agree with you.

Any chance of opening up another section, below Jet Blast....call it, say, "The Games Room".

Possible?

Tankertrashnav
6th Apr 2012, 15:09
Ducksoup and Noyade -misplaced? - so don't look at them. I have never been able to work out what the heck "my beautiful Weber" is doing in Military Aircrew, but the point is it's popular among its own devotees, and does nobody any harm. Just because some of us can't tell the difference between a Stradling Sparrowhawk Mk II and IIa doesn't mean to say we should be banished from History and Nostagia! Or do you want this section to be exclusive to Air Britain anoraks?

Lightning Mate
6th Apr 2012, 15:11
:D:D:D.......

PPRuNe Pop
6th Apr 2012, 15:19
OK. You can have one. This has been done before and repetion is not a good idea. I would have kept it open but the idea goes back aways and I was not having a bad day other than to exercise what I am here for.

Its not going on and Mk.3 would be dealt with swiftly.

I started this forum many years ago and by and large it has maintained both history and nostalgia. We have allowed 'fun' games but the time comes when enough is enough.

More Nostagia, more aircraft history - that is what this forum is about. NOT a quiz forum.

Sorry, but let us stick to the forum title. I am sure you can find another place for your quiz games.

PPP