PDA

View Full Version : Plane down last Sunday

Say Cheese
4th Apr 2012, 16:23
Hi all,

I have just spotted this on the front page of the local papers website.
Pilot praised for landing plane safely near homes (From Bucks Free Press) (http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/9631484.Pilot_praised_for_landing_plane_safely_near_homes/)

Seems to me that they are stating the obvious when they say "he had not intended to land there."

Does anyone have any more info on this or is able to identify the make and model of plane from the somewhat poor photo? They describe it as a 65 year old vintage plane and it looks like some sort of taildragger.

However all in all it looks like the pilot made a successful landing after what I assume to be an engine failure. So congrats to him on a successful avoidance of potential disaster.

peterh337
4th Apr 2012, 16:48
"metres from a row of houses"

It must have been a lot of metres :E

treadigraph
4th Apr 2012, 16:49
Looks like a Tipsy Trainer to me...

Jan Olieslagers
4th Apr 2012, 16:58
Don't think so - that was a tandem seater, wasn't it? The photograph suggests side by side seating. My own bet is for some Miles product.

VictorGolf
4th Apr 2012, 17:13
I'd go with treadigraph. It's a Tipsy Trainer, which was a side by side 2 seater. The big round rudder gives it away.

fwjc
4th Apr 2012, 18:25
Tipsy Trainer 1 G-AISA
Pilot Steve Slater. Below is his post from Facebook posted Sunday at 2300. Nobody hurt, a textbook forced landing so good job as far as I can see.

Nice to meet local farmers, but not this way.......

Catastrophic engine failure (with no prior warning) at 1,200 feet, but thankfully a non-damaging forced landing.

Not what I had planned for the evening bimble...

Now tomorrow's challenge is to recover a 36-foot span aeroplane with a seized engine, by road back to base........

B*gger.