PDA

View Full Version : Time to Wing-Walk

Rollingthunder
4th Apr 2012, 14:48
Allegiant

Passengers' fury as airline launches $35 fee for carry-on bags

A second airline has announced plans to charge passengers an extra fee, just to take their handbag on a plane.
Allegiant Air said it will be charging flyers $35 for carry-on luggage from Wednesday, which matches the charge for checked bags.

The fee, which has not yet been publicly announced, will go live on the airline’s website at midnight on Tuesday.

Hotel Tango
4th Apr 2012, 18:21
Must have been an April Fool joke. If not, they will go bust very quickly as their customers abandon them in droves.

TightSlot
4th Apr 2012, 20:01
Sadly, looks to be true...

See HERE (http://www.jaunted.com/story/2012/4/4/133458/7722/travel/Allegiant+Air+Announces+Carry-On+Baggage+Fees,+Because+They+Can)

jubilee
5th Apr 2012, 08:06
That's one charge MOL missed.
J

Hotel Tango
5th Apr 2012, 14:45
Unless he wants to commit commercial suicide!

Piltdown Man
6th Apr 2012, 09:37
You know a company has earned a worldwide reputation when it is used as a comparison. So when you want to make a comparison with a thieving, greedy, couldn't give a sh!t, rip off company, who do you use?

Allegiant rolled out the tried-and-true Ryanair-esque argument

PM

Old 'Un
12th Apr 2012, 23:28
Unfortunately a path to the future, sorry to say. Many airlines are finding that the 'carry-on bag' allowance, as opposed to the checked bag, is being abused by passengers. I have seen pax trying to stuff obviously oversized/over-weight bags into overhead lockers. All this could be avoided if greedy/cheapskate pax played by the rules for carry-on bagggage, AND THE CHECK-IN STAFF ENFORCED IT!

Being cynical, I suspect some airlines see it as a source of extra income because flights are departing well under max weight limits coz no-one is taking checked-in luggage in an attempt to keep their costs down.

My spin on it, FWIW.

Le Vieux

LondonPax
16th Apr 2012, 17:39
It's not just a money thing, though. Even on airlines where you don't pay for checked bags (except excess) pax bring on ludicrous oversized bags that are bigger than the allowance and more numerous. That's surely because they don't want to wait for an hour at the other end for their baggage.

I don't bring on oversized bags but I certainly try to travel light and not check anything in if I can help it for that very reason.

BaronChotzinoff
16th Apr 2012, 18:51
Might make for some ingenious means of disposing of ones goods about ones person (and from the sound of it, you WILL have to transport your passport up your bum crack!)