PDA

View Full Version : Taking photos of aircraft while boarding?

Andrew R
4th Apr 2012, 12:44
Does anyone know if your allowed to take photos of the aircraft your boarding whilst on the tarmac. For example most airlines no longer use jet bridges so you can usually walk around the aircraft when your boarding.... Would the ground crew or airline staff mind if you stopped for a bit and snapped a few photographs? I'm not talking mobile phone shots, proper DSLR photographs.

Also are you allowed to take photos in the air? I know the cabin crew say no electronic devices on takeoff or landing.

Thanks

Skipness One Echo
4th Apr 2012, 12:54
I got yelled at a couple of times but there is a knack. Be set up and ready to shoot before setting foot on the apron and mentally be prepared to stop, shoot and walk on smiling innocently like an excited tourist.

I know staff are not supposed to shoot on aprons but many do, I got yelled at by BA groundstaff boarding the last Air Southwest out of LGW and told "no photos". I didn't argue even though I had seen a camera crew from the TV there a moment ago. In JFK last month, I had a seven foot tall black rampir get borderline frightening with his gestures. I had dared to shoot an American B757 at the gate, he actually started running towards me at one point and I though he was going to come inside! 9-11 casts a long shadow indeed.

Johnny Tightlips
4th Apr 2012, 13:31
Reminds me of a funny incident I saw last summer. A young boy asked me if he could take a picture of the cockpit and of course I let him, I remember when I used to be like that about 15 years ago! Anyway he went to the cockpit door and suddenly the in charge cabin crew member said no photos were allowed to be taken in the aircraft. Captain told her to mind her own business and the little lad got his pictures and a small tour of the switches as well:ok:

It's sad really that some people make life so difficult for everyone else......

transmitforDF
4th Apr 2012, 13:38
Only in the UK this seems to be a problem, but every time I go on hols I just can't resist to get a snap. I usually try to time my walk, prime the camera then SNAP que bollocking from the ground staff but its worth it! On the ground at LHR I was bollocked by three ground staff for getting a shot of the cx A340 never mind ey :O

750XL
4th Apr 2012, 13:39
Depending on the airport, then I think it all depends on the dispatcher / staff watching the passengers. At military airports or places like Dubai, Saudi Arabia etc then it's obviously a big no-no but in the UK I see no problem.

Personally, I have no issue with any passengers taking pictures on the ramp while boarding / de-boarding my flights as long as they use common sense and don't do anything stupid. For a lot of people, flying is all part of the 'holiday experience' so I see no reason why they can't record that 'moment' on a photo.

Generally, as long as the passenger takes a few quick snaps then continues walking into the terminal building / aircraft then there's no harm. The few times I will say something is when people take it upon themselves to stand in front of the engine (:ugh:) or stand at the bottom of the steps while they get some photos, therefore causing a backlog of pax.

I quite often handle football flights and for some reason the Italian / Spanish supporters always seem adamant on getting a photo taken with myself / other ground staff :ooh:

Hotel Tango
4th Apr 2012, 14:03
At BHX last year I got yelled at by a young ground staff lady for taking a photo of my 6 year old grandson with the nose of the Dash-8 (which we had just disembarked from) as background. I did this without causing an obstruction or leaving the designated pax walkway. Her tone was so rude that I just told her not to be so rude and so ridiculous. I got my photo anyway. It took just 2seconds. Did she really need to make such a scene? Also once had an overzealous member of ground staff (at BHX again) tell me I couldn't use binoculars inside the terminal building (looking out). I told her that no such regulation existed and if it did she could call the cops. I continued to use them waiting for the cops to arrive. They didn't. It's often a case of using common sense but sadly that's a thing of the past with many staff members these days.

750XL
4th Apr 2012, 14:12
At BHX last year I got yelled at by a young ground staff lady for taking a photo of my 6 year old grandson with the nose of the Dash-8 (which we had just disembarked from) as background. I did this without causing an obstruction or leaving the designated pax walkway. Her tone was so rude that I just told her not to be so rude and so ridiculous.

I think lack of training and strict rules / regulations can cause ground staff to act like this. Generally they're barely earning more than minimum wage in ****e conditions and working horrible hours. Sadly I know from experience that they're usually accountable for anything that happens to passengers on the ramp and usually suspended until it's been investigated, even if it was nothing to do with them and wasn't preventable.

Personally, I was never specifically told during training if photos were allowed on the ramp or not, and how to deal with passengers who may start taking photos on the ramp. As I said in my previous post, I tend to use my common sense and let them get along with it unless they're causing a problem.

MKY661
4th Apr 2012, 14:36
Ive never got shouted at... yet. Done it a couple of times at MAN and no problems. Same with GIB. In fact I even asked if I could tae a picture of the plane and they said yes.

Dave Barnshaw
4th Apr 2012, 15:49
We are not all "witless spotters" as Jamesfern suggest,some of us do actually fly aircraft believe it or not. He adds that he can see no problem taking photos inside the aircraft-can't see the point of that one. Folk like to see photos of the aircraft concerned,and not of passengers or wing and engines of the said plane-:=

donnlass
4th Apr 2012, 16:00
We tried to take a picture of the Aer Lingus we had just left when we got to Dublin and the reaction we got you'd think we tried to fire a rocket at it or something.

Mind you I did check the website some time after and it said anyone intending to photograph aircraft had to notify them and pay 200 euro for the privilege!

But I havent seen that on the site since the airport was expanded and a Viewing Platform included in the expansion so I dont know if that is still the case.

Navy_Adversary
4th Apr 2012, 16:20
I wasn't allowed to take a piccie of a VS 747 which I was about to board groundside at LHR, on my way to the USA where i took piccies of SR71s, U2s and F117s, strange world we live in.:8

Cymmon
4th Apr 2012, 17:55
I can't take photo's on board.
My camera is part of my mobile phone.:*

Espada III
4th Apr 2012, 19:58
Yes you can. Simply turn the wireless receiver off (or turn the phone onto flight mode) and you can use all the other functions including camera and MP3 player.

gmidx
4th Apr 2012, 20:37
I asked this very question to the head of airfield operations at the airport that I currently work. My response to this was pax can take pictures anywhere in the airport/airfield so long as:

1) it's not at securoty, border control, customs and
2) pax are not taking pictures of sensitive areas eg fuel farmers etc (possible terrorism survey lance).

I work for an airline as a aircraft dispatcher and often get groups posing for pics at gates, on the ramp and a/c stairs. I often take the pictures for them. I have experienced colleagues and cabin crew shout at pax to stop taking pictures because of "security!". As mentioned as long as it is not in and of sensitive areas, I don't see a problem and so does my airport authority.

Denti
4th Apr 2012, 20:49
Most pilots i fly with and of course myself as well have a camera with them during their normal duty. We shoot quite a lot of pictures, from inside the aircraft and running witless around fuelers, baggage handlers and so on outside the aircraft as well.

As long as it is done in a common sense way we do not mind at all if pictures are taken during boarding and deboarding, and we don't mind if someone takes a picture from the flight deck on the ground. However in the latter case we usually insist of the picture being taken in such a way that we are not identifiable and that it isn't posted freely on the internet (well, we can't really enforce that of course) since our company doesn't really like that and has given out reprimands for pictures of company property that appeared on the net.

MAN777
4th Apr 2012, 21:53
The anorak in me insists on trying to grab a shot of everything I fly on (don't know why, I just do)

My system is as already stated, have the camera ready to shoot and just go for the shot as if your just a tourist, IF someone objects dont argue just nod, drop the camera to the hip and carry on shooting discreetly. Shooting "from the hip" is a recognised technique that pros use in sensitive situations and with practice can give good results. A wide angle lens and keeping the shutter pressed will give you a better chance of getting the shot.

If you know it's going to be a no-no such as in Doha or Dubai just go straight from the hip.

Works for me !

KBPsen
4th Apr 2012, 22:31
It should be realized that airports and aircraft are not public spaces. Besides being full of passengers they are also places of work and both passengers and those who work there, should be able to go about their business in the expectation that they will not be photographed either openly or on the sly unless they agree to it.

Andrew R
4th Apr 2012, 23:03
Hi thanks for the responses.

I'm the anorak too and try and take a photo of everything I fly on. All my photographs are usually taken using an iPhone so it's not too much hassle to pull it out whilst walking up to the aircraft, pausing for a second to take a picture. However in the past at Southampton and BHX I've had ground crew give me the stare of death for pausing to take a photo.

Anyway next week I'm flying out of BFS and wanted to bring my DSLR and test out my new fisheye lens. I really don't want to get yelled at cause it would be extremely embarrassing .

NutLoose
4th Apr 2012, 23:07
KPBSen Mate in the real world you are photographed every hour of every day going about your normal life,

There are some anal security, saw them badgering some guy with steps so he could get a picture over a fence of an arrival, his steps were nowhere near the fence, I remonstrated just let him get his picture and he will be on his way, happy, don't and you will be playing catch up while he tries to get it elsewhere... I got the well he might try to get over the fence... He would of needed to be able to leap small buildings to have reached the fence and as I was on the other side (Airside ) also taking pics of the rare visitor, it was not likely to happen..

As for security and Installations... the average terrorist isn't exactly going to make a visible look I am casing the joint with my camera approach, are they...

As for when boarding, I can understand the staff sort of hurrying people along as they need to make the slot times and having one pax taking pics of the aircraft can result in the lemming effect and delays boarding.... But that is no reason to be rude.

ZFT
4th Apr 2012, 23:08
It should be realized that airports and aircraft are not public spaces. Besides being full of passengers they are also places of work and both passengers and those who work there, should be able to go about their business in the expectation that they will not be photographed either openly or on the sly unless they agree to it.

So you never photograph anything because there is always someone working just about everywhere you go.

KBPsen
5th Apr 2012, 11:28
Just to repeat myself as it seems to have been missed.

Airports and aircraft are not public spaces.

While there is an assumption that in public spaces you may be photographed by anyone, I would think most people, while in a public space, would find it uncomfortable if a stranger where to stop, take a few photos of them, and then walk off again.

Translate that situation to an airport or an aircraft, which are areas of restricted access and more akin too or actual private property, where the stranger with the camera might be thinking it is only a few photos, but for the person at the other end of the lens it might be stranger number 5, 10 or 25 that day pointing a camera in their direction.

On a number of occasions I have noticed people standing with their cameras appearing to take photos while I was doing my walkaround. I have then gone and got my own camera and if they were still there when I got outside again I have pretended to take pictures of them. On each occasion they disappeared almost immediately. They certainly didn't like being photographed, so what made them think I did?

Skipness One Echo
5th Apr 2012, 12:53
I recall the incident, it did look damaged and frankly did appear to the untrained eye to be unsafe. However there is a balance, imagine if some "moronic spotter" had been brave enough to call out the large visible cracks on boarding a certain Aloha B737? Sorry to hear btw that engineers are only able to experess the selves through aggresive profanity. Can't imagine why the paying customer reported them. Utter and complete lack of manners and people skills possibly? Also the threat of violent criminal damage, but you're right,the enthusiast with the camera is clearly the bad guy here.

As to being photographed on the walk round, I am assuming the aircraft was the target more of the time? Did you really get into a pretendy playground game of point the camera at your passengers? Should you not perhaps be otherwise occupied? Goodness me!

KBPsen
5th Apr 2012, 13:24
You seem to have lost sight of the ball, Skipness.

AndoniP
5th Apr 2012, 13:27
In general, people are just taking photos of the aircraft, a memory of the one they flew on when they went to Mallorca etc. If there are a few randoms in the shot who actually cares? Nobody knows them and nobody cares who else is in the shot. It's is the big metal thing in the middle of the picture that matters, and maybe the odd family member or friends in the foreground.

KBPsen, do you honestly believe people are taking photos of other people, or of the aircraft? Why not ask them what they're doing to make sure your assumption is correct?

As for those people taking photos of pilots, well, that's just strange, if true.

KBPsen
5th Apr 2012, 14:20
AndoniP,

Should it not be the person wishing to take a photograph that should ask first? If the answer is no then respect that and move on rather than devise ways of doing it secretly as some seem do to.

As has been noted here in a couple of posts, there are people out there who have no sense of privacy, personal space or common courtesy. That includes people who take pictures of crews, which is not uncommon.

Ask first, it's common courtesy and it's free.

Hotel Tango
5th Apr 2012, 15:09
Whilst I sympathise with I LIKE TEA and KBPsen, I think that they should put it into context and take it as a compliment. They are peoples' holiday snaps: "this was our pilot", and nothing more. KBPsen's reaction would appear to indicate a certain lack of maturity for someone whose hands I'm putting my life into :E;)

Armchairflyer
5th Apr 2012, 17:03
While I agree with crew objecting to being secretly photographed, I still fail to see the problem of someone taking pictures of the aircraft or the airport. IMHO it's not so much a matter of public space or not but rather of persons vs. objects.

MKY661
5th Apr 2012, 17:38
1) it's not at securoty, border control, customs

These are the only places I dont take pictures in an airport. Everywhere else I do. Usually I take a pic when the coast is clear but sometimes it is impossible. One time when I got stranded at AGP I came back with 300+ photos, just at AGP. Many of these didnt have any people in as it was late at night and all the other flights had either gone or were about to go. I obviously understand that people dont like getting a picture taken without them asking.

Piltdown Man
6th Apr 2012, 08:53
I regularly see people taking pictures of my plane and myself. Also, I'll never decline a request for a photo (even though I have 'lens shattering' looks). If that helps make their journey more enjoyable, brilliant! For the more enthusiastic, I'll even offer them the opportunity taking pictures from inside the flight deck. It's part of the job. Quite amazingly I'll even depart on time. But what's for sure, I bloody well SHOUT at any numpty who says you can't take pictures "for security reasons." And to rub it in, I'll take the pictures myself. I'll also get very unpleasant with anyone who is rude to any of our passengers (who pay my wages). If you can't be polite (even when provoked), you should really get another job.

PM

wiggy
6th Apr 2012, 11:24
Given that the vast majority of my colleagues these days have their faces plastered all over facebook I think it's then a bit rich of some of them to then start claiming "no photographs" for reasons of privacy......

Armchairflyer:

While I agree with crew objecting to being secretly photographed, I still fail to see the problem of someone taking pictures of the aircraft or the airport. IMHO it's not so much a matter of public space or not but rather of persons vs. objects.

:ok: :ok:

dazdaz1
7th Apr 2012, 15:02
I recall back in the mid to late 70s I was on a flight to Spain with Britannia Airways the cc offered photos 6x4 of the actual a/c we were flying on for sale.

Later to date, although a regional UK flight I was allowed after requesting a pic of the flight deck to await until all pax had vacated the a/c. Nice couple of pics. There was no security issue. Once the a/c is at the gate/steps the f/d door is opened anyway and from my pax experiences the f/d door is open until roll back for departure.

Daz

jabird
7th Apr 2012, 22:38
I think the basic advice here is "use common sense". In most cases, if what you are doing causes issues, you will be asked to stop taking pictures - and if the suggestions about shooting from the hip are taken, you will still have something to show for your efforts.

Otherwise, snap away knowing full well that, as with any other form of casual photography, 95% of your images will never get off the image taking device concerned anyway!

Has anyone ever got themselves in more trouble than a dressing down? Maybe been asked to delete "offending" images? I know about infamous cases e.g. British spotters in Greece, but they were at a military base.

donnlass
7th Apr 2012, 23:19
In Dublin they near took the camera off us only my partner said that the camera hadnt worked anyway.

They were in a near panic when we tried to take a shot.

We had asked a steward when we disembarked and he said I didnt hear you ask so we thought it would be ok but obviously not.

Skipness One Echo
7th Apr 2012, 23:22
Got a catalogue of boarding shots on boarding an Aer Lingus A321. Dublin seemed quite relaxed IMHO, it's the crippling inconsistency. This was the same trip where I watched the security man ignore the bags on the xray screen as he chatted at the breasts of his buxom female colleague......

Be interesting what would happen if they did try and take my camera from me.

jabird
7th Apr 2012, 23:26
This was the same trip where I watched the security man ignore the bags on the xray screen as he chatted at the breasts of his buxom female colleague......

Lol, well at least the xray was working, unlike at NEV. Everything checked by hand, not sure if the TSA would have anything to say about that?

I also delayed the departure of an Eagle ATR for a minute or two as I was taking pictures with a long lens from outside the airport perimiter. I suppose it "could" have been a rocket launcher, but really?

A truck came out from the airport and told me to stop, which I did and off it went. Presumably, if you did want to use such a device disguised as a camera, the place to set one up with no-one noticing would be nearby SXM?

500 above
9th Apr 2012, 07:33
Ask first, it's common courtesy and it's free.

Unlikely in a scenario when a photographer is landside and an aircraft is airside now is it... Remember also, those 'spotters' pay your wage by flying on your aircraft do they not? Have some respect! it's common courtesy and it's free.

I do however agree that there is no need to photograph crew members inside an aircraft. Unless she's really hot.

wiggy
9th Apr 2012, 13:07
I recall back in the mid to late 70s I was on a flight to Spain with Britannia Airways the cc offered photos 6x4 of the actual a/c we were flying on for sale.

That reminds me as a very young wiglet of going on holiday from Ringway ( to Ronaldsway) in the very early 60's. Somebody - probably the airline (Cambrian), employed a photographer to take happy snaps of us passengers as we boarded which we could buy for a few pence ( I guess the pics are still at the bottom of a box somewhere).

Sadly what was once a commercial opportunity worthy of MOL and a bit of fun has come to be regarded by some as a threat to the nation's security....:sad: