PDA

View Full Version : Airpark and Taxiway Roads.

nomorecatering
4th Apr 2012, 09:07
A few years ago I visited Cameron Park in CA. A residential airpark about 100miles West of San Francisco. When you turn off the runway you find yourself taxiing down a residential street.

Houses and kids playing footy and soccer, and the most sureal sight of a cars and a planes parked side by side in the garage of the houses. All the streets had signs "cars must give way to aircraft".

Would CASA allow planes and cars to share the same asphalt here in Oz.

Is the market in Oz big enough to support an airpark, in that sure, a few might build houses but would they be stuck with an unsellable house.

Could such an airpark stimulate the demand for private GA aircraft. We desperately need some more GA activity. Even if you can afford to buy a private plane, basing it at capital city GA aerports is rapidly getting either impossible, or finacially prohibitive. Theres plenty of people with money, and they do spend,just look at the marine industry, go to any boat show and you will see what I mean.

What we really need is some more airparks, yes there are a few in Oz, but something grand like Spruce Creek in Florida.

PLovett
4th Apr 2012, 10:03
100miles West of San Francisco

Isn't that rather wet or do they use amphibians there. :}

nomorecatering
4th Apr 2012, 10:12
Damn.....somone spotted the deliberate error. I mean East of San Fran.

Di_Vosh
4th Apr 2012, 10:19
Sadly, I think you know the answers to these questions already. :{

DIVOSH!

VH-XXX
4th Apr 2012, 10:47
Don't we have air parks already here not unlike what you have describe?

Would it matter that it was private property and would they have the right to stop it?

I guess I also know the answer to that one too!

Howard Hughes
4th Apr 2012, 11:22
I know of at least three in Oz, none of which I would want to live at. As soon as someone opens one within a reasonable commute to a capital city, I am there!:ok:

Jabawocky
4th Apr 2012, 11:55
HH

in your part of the world there would be a bunch of greenie whatevers demanding a curfew from 3PM till 10AM and a max movement rate of 1 per hour.

Sound familiar:E

Plazbot
4th Apr 2012, 15:13
"We desperately need some more GA activity"

Why? What specifically is the desperation for?

OZBUSDRIVER
4th Apr 2012, 18:19
Good idea re-air parks. Closest one to ML would have to be TEM. The way that one is set up would be the way the CASA would want all of them set up. Airside is still divorced from the public side.

I am very interested to see what develops over the years out of TYA. A huge amount of land surrounding the aerodrome is owned by people sympathetic to or part of the aerodrome. Not only does it keep out money hungry anti-aerodrome estate agents and noisey nosey minority groups, it does leave open an avenue for air park type developments with access to the aerodrome.

baswell
4th Apr 2012, 21:27
Yes, come and have a look at YTEM this weekend, for some reason there's a *lot* of aircraft coming here. (be sure to read the SUP)

It's not quite what you describe, it's all a bit utilitarian here; not the "normal" suburb that just a happens to have aircraft like some in the US.

Some of the ones in the US you could probably quite easily convince your non-flying pilot to move to, this one, I am not sure.

Still, it is a great development and more places should do it.

Wish my local (Gawler) would. It's close to civilisation and at the very least, it would be another way to make sure the place doesn't get turned into a housing estate when the lease runs out. (Way too soon)

baswell
4th Apr 2012, 21:28
Why? What specifically is the desperation for?
You are a pilot, right? Like having airports at all? And easy access to technical services and don't pay too much for them?

Economies of scale my friend, economies of scale...

Howard Hughes
4th Apr 2012, 21:46
HH

in your part of the world there would be a bunch of greenie whatevers demanding a curfew from 3PM till 10AM and a max movement rate of 1 per hour.

Sound familiar
You forgot the acres of solar panels required and the under runway crossing for wildlife...;)
Closest one to ML would have to be TEM.
Don't forget Holbrook!

Also came across this (http://www.blueskytumut.com.au/) one via a search, that makes at least four!:ok:

metalman2
4th Apr 2012, 22:07
There were two proposed in the Hervey bay area in the last few years, I don't know the details but both fell over, citing council dramas( I lived in the area for 20 years , council attitude is very wrong). The one at Pacific Haven seems to have worked well and there was talk of one at YMYB since the council got caught trying to illegally sell it. Mt Beauty looks good but it's a long way from anywhere , I don't really know why every council wouldn't want to have an air park , if you could sell the surrounding land to people who like aircraft noise it would have to be much more peaceful for the complaints dept. I'd heard the one Evans Head was having issues with locals , not sure how many solar panels they have or wombat tracks .YCAB has done well with the kangaroo reserve though just need to get some house blocks happening

kaz3g
5th Apr 2012, 23:41
Don't forget YYWG where the council has shown great initiative and has just increased the runway width.

Kaz

Typhoon650
5th Apr 2012, 23:53
Eurobodlla shire council have been considering an airpark style development for several years, but no forward progress that I know of as yet:
http://www.esc.nsw.gov.au/media/9821/Casys_MoruyaAirportPlanningReport.pdf

Nautilus Blue
6th Apr 2012, 01:35
Would CASA allow planes and cars to share the same asphalt here in Oz.

The way that one is set up would be the way the CASA would want all of them set up. Airside is still divorced from the public side.

I suspect getting CASA to allow cars near planes would be a piece of cake compared to getting VicRoads or equivalent to allow planes near cars and pedestrians.

mcgrath50
6th Apr 2012, 01:58
Or the ASIC people? Would every family member need an ASIC, what about when little jimmy has friends over, do we have to get them VICs? :ugh:

sprocket check
19th Apr 2012, 07:28
Unless the aerodrome is certified or registered, I don't believe CASA would have a say or an interest. (Someone prove me wrong please)

Worrals in the wilds
19th Apr 2012, 07:59
I know of at least one cattle station in Queensland that has its driveway marked up with cones as a taxiway for the runway beside the house.
Scared the crap out of me the first time I drove on it. :\