PDA

View Full Version : 80 Year Old Lady Lands Twin

Savoia
3rd Apr 2012, 10:53
Woman, 80, with no flying experience, miraculously lands plane after her pilot husband collapses mid-flight

*She stayed airborne for over an HOUR before radioing for help

*81-year-old husband-pilot later died in hospital

*One of two engines lost power - and fuel was running low

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/04/03/article-0-12725420000005DC-57_634x352.jpg
This twin engine Cessna was successfully landed in Wisconsin by an 80-year-old first-time pilot after her husband collapsed behind the controls

A woman aged 80, who had never flown before, successfully managed to land a twin-engine Cessna after her husband passed out at the controls.Somehow the elderly novice kept the plane airborne for over an hour - only radioing for help when low fuel levels caused the right engine to fail.The woman, as yet unnamed, then showed nerves of steel to safely steer the aircraft onto the tarmac of the Door County Cherryland Airport in Wisconsin.

The first-time pilot was expertly helped by an air traffic team and a second pilot sent up to fly alongside her and coach her to the to the ground.

Her husband, who authorities say suffered a medical condition while flying, was later pronounced dead.The 80-year-old woman suffered only minor injuries, the result of a bumpy landing, and was treated at a nearby hospital.

The mid-air drama took place after 5pm on Monday, six miles south of the Midwest town of Sturgeon.Authorities have yet to release the names of either husband of wife, but Door County Sheriff Terry Vogel has praised the quick-thinking bravery of the elderly novice.'She's not a licensed pilot and has very little on flying an aircraft,' he said.'We're very proud of her for doing what she did. It was a very difficult situation with her husband unconscious next to her. It took a lot to collect her thoughts and get that thing landed.'Federal Aviation Authorities will investigate the incident.

Talkdownman
3rd Apr 2012, 16:38
Hope, yet, for ageing Pilots' Assistants…

Anthony Supplebottom
4th Apr 2012, 04:59
81 and still flying a twin! Way to go. :D

HS125
4th Apr 2012, 13:00
Excellent Save!! :D

Just looked it up and the runway isn't exactly generous, Its only 75' wide and, OEI, along with the 421's wide main gear track that can't have been easy for someone of that experience under that kind of stress.

Condolences and A BIG high 5 from me!

taybird
4th Apr 2012, 15:02
What an incredible lady! And well done to the team who coached her down. Such a shame that she lost her husband, but I guess he'll have died doing what he loved, with the person he loved. And that's clean, too, no need to be smutty.

Pace
5th Apr 2012, 00:17
The report I read in the London press stated that she landed after a number of attempts! That is all the more amazing! As if true she managed a go around with all that entails and a circuit back to try again! and all not in a simple single but a complex twin.
On top of that she handled an engine failure and a one engine landing!!!
For an old lady who has also suffered the shock of her husband collapsing to manage all that with No experience full credit to her! Totally Gobsmacked.
(I do not think a young woman in her 20s with no experience could manage that never mind an 81 year old)

who had never flown before, successfully managed to land a twin-engine Cessna after her husband passed out at the controls.Somehow the elderly novice kept the plane airborne for over an hour - only radioing for help when low fuel levels caused the right engine to fail.

Pace

Savoia
5th Apr 2012, 08:15
Helen Collins is certainly a remarkable lady and I tend to agree with Taybird in that Mr Collins most likely passed-away doing what he loved.

I am hoping that some video footage of this extraordinary event will arise but, in the meantime, the Telegraph seem to have secured some of the audio recording:

Video: Radio exchange with 80-year-old pilot as she made emergency landing - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/9187696/Radio-exchange-with-80-year-old-pilot-as-she-made-emergency-landing.html)

I do not think a young woman in her 20s with no experience could manage that never mind an 81 year old
Some of the younger ones of today are ill-equipped (emotionally and in terms of experience) having being 'cosseted' by modern lifestyles devoid of the challenge and sobriety which would have surrounded those, such as Mrs Collins, who grew-up in 30's and 40's.

cldrvr
5th Apr 2012, 09:32
Not to take anything away from Mrs. Collins effort in bringing the aircraft down, but she did receive flying lessons in the past. This could well be the AOPA friends and family "co-pilot" program. Not knowing where she received her lessons, but some credit should go to wherever she received them, they surely taught her to stay calm.

She had taken basic lessons in taking off and landing 30 years ago, her son told the Associated Press news agency.

Well done Mrs.Collins.

hvogt
5th Apr 2012, 11:30
Condolences and A BIG high 5 from me! What a distasteful comment.

HS125
5th Apr 2012, 14:17
I'm sorry if anyone was offended I was merely congratulating incredible calm under pressure and a very very impressive whilst attempting to offer some empathy at what in the aftermath must be a very difficult time.

Turkish777
5th Apr 2012, 20:25
Theres another longer audio clip I just found....

What an amazing lady! :ok:

Audio - 80 Year Old Woman Lands Plane After Pilot Dies - YouTube

Anthony Supplebottom
8th Apr 2012, 22:16
So what is the age limit for flying multi-engine privately in the US - 100?

MarcK
9th Apr 2012, 00:12
There is no age limit for any aircraft type flown privately in the US.

MungoP
9th Apr 2012, 12:07
Nor on Part 135.. (Air Taxii/ general aviation) You can go on earning your living as a pilot just as long as you can retain at least a class 2 medical. The FAA are way more user friendly than our lot.