PDA

View Full Version : British Airways 'Executive Club'

MungoP
2nd Apr 2012, 14:40
Anyone out there connected with the so called 'Executive Club' ?

Was wondering if they're winding it down...
When I joined a few years back I could always connect to someone by phone.. they were always helpful.. eager to assist, polite and friendly.. Over the past year it seems to have turned around dramatically..Except when booking a flight (spending money) they've become almost impossible to contact.. The web-site as often as not is 'unavailable' .. 'try again later'.
I've been trying to get missing points added for flights dating back to January and they just ignore the situation... and now trying to book flights where I'm using my points there are no flights available for pretty much the whole summer... Plenty of flights if you pay cash.
Less an 'Executive Club' more like a 2nd class citizen club...
Makes me wonder if they're phasing it out ..
If anyone is thinking about joining it... I suggest you think again.. at least shop around.

TheAdmirableCretin
2nd Apr 2012, 14:59
Had the same experience trying to book a summer flight to the US for a family member a month ago... Ended up flying her out with Virgin.

Gibon2
2nd Apr 2012, 15:20
Should I reply here, or in the identical thread you started in Jet Blast?

VintageKrug
2nd Apr 2012, 19:11
In the first instance, it's always best to submit a missing mileage claim online:

British Airways - Login (http://www.britishairways.com/travel/retro/execclub/_gf/en_gb)

These are usually dealt with in a 2-3 week timeframe.

If the Avios don't show up in your account (and this is often the case where you've upgraded with avios) then you need to call.

Don't call at weekends (fewer staff and supervisors) or early Monday morning (busy with people rebooking for the week ahead). Best time is mid-morning or mid afternoon, when it's quiet (and note it's Easter this weekend, a busy travel period).

I get through to BAEC within seconds and can't recall the last time I waited longer than a minute. No problems with the callcentre whatsoever.

Last year I redeemed 750,000 miles on various flights, all within a day of the date I wanted and in my preferred cabin or one higher.

As far as availability goes, well, it's dynamic so you need to check back regularly. This summer is an odd one as the Olympics are being held in London and this has added a layer of unpredictability and it does seem that BAEC is holding back some award seats; having said that I've booked a reward flight in the peak August period to the US without any trouble using the excellent online availability finder:

https://www.britishairways.com/travel/reward-flights-map/execclub/_gf/en_gb?eId=106160

Hardly a "second class" experience.

Are you UK based, or elsewhere?

MungoP
3rd Apr 2012, 12:28
Gibon2
I originally posted the thread on JetBlast and realised that it would soon disappear under the usual JetBlast torrent of trivia.. wanting a genuine response I re-posted it in this forum..

I'm currently located in the US and pursued it through the US contact numbers and e-mail address...
They first responded by telling me that they were unable to trace me on the flights in question.. very strange knowing what we go through to board an aircraft in the US these days.. After submitting copies (at their request) of 4 boarding passes I was eventually given a reference number regarding the claim... and have heard nothing for two months.. Many e-mails have produced no results and phone contacts through a mind-blowingly tedious automatic system result in getting cut off... the only humans I get to talk to are on the sales side and can't help... suggesting I go through the web-site...

But the worst complaint is not being able to use the 'Avios' to book a flight at any time during the summer months... That is the reason for the comment re: 2nd class citizen...pointless having them...

Skipness One Echo
3rd Apr 2012, 16:17
Is it possible that you flew BA on an American Airlines or other Oneworld codeshare? The rules get complex from here on....

ExXB
3rd Apr 2012, 16:33
Is it possible that you flew BA on an American Airlines or other Oneworld codeshare? The rules get complex from here on....

Although BA may not like it, if you have booked a BA flight regardless of whose metal is used, your contract is with BA. Not the operating carrier. Too bad BA
'customer service' people don't understand the law.

Aksai Oiler
3rd Apr 2012, 17:29
I fly regularly with BA tickets on BA code share with IB metal. Several times I have had to call the Gold Line to complain about IB, and each and every time I get sent packing to IB, which I have now come to understand is a way of palming off my complaint to a carrier with zero customer service, staff with no manners and whom are the most ignorant bunch of benthonic crawlers I can think of... Even BA claim they have no control over IB...

Tableview
3rd Apr 2012, 17:53
Thank you for teaching me a new word I didn't know - benthonic! I thought my vocabulary, particularly when it comes to insults, was pretty extensive.

You're so right about Iberia staff.

The rudest airline staff, scruffy and insolent, both on the ground and in the air that I've encountered in 30 years of short and longhaul flying. I lived in Spain and speak Spanish, so I have a wide range of experience with them and other carriers. Their employees seem to be specially trained to make every part of the experience as miserable as possible. I should add that this is by no means typically Spanish, and I suspect that Iberia has a training academy to instil the very un-Spanish qualities of nastiness and rudeness into its staff.

Add to that, that when anything goes wrong it is dealt with in the worst possible way. Their customer relations department is, by its own admission, too busy to answer complaints within an acceptable time scale.

They treat passengers who don’t speak Spanish with even more contempt than those who do. When I tried to intervene on behalf of an English speaking family who had missed their connection, the monoglot ticket agent at Madrid Airport told me that they were ‘stupid’ (‘unos tontos de mierda’ was the phrase used) for not speaking Spanish.

Most of their cabin crew, particularly on the long hauls to South and Central America, where they have little competition, are bitter and twisted battle-scarred veterans waiting to retire. One gets the impression that the airline is run for the convenience of its staff and their friends travelling on rebated tickets.

Benthonic, bottom-dwelling pondlife, is excellent!

fincastle84
3rd Apr 2012, 18:47
:ok:

We've just returned CPT-LHR with BA using reward flights in Club World & have already booked the same route for next Feb-March, again using rewards but this time in First.

We find absolutely nothing wrong with the Executive Club, you just have to know the correct way to use it & be prepared to book well in advance. An Amex BA Premium card is also of great assistance. If you would like more info please PM me.

Captivep
4th Apr 2012, 05:46
I don't think they would have invented a new tier of membership if they were going to wind it down...

My experience is very different to the OP though.In the last two years I have booked reward flights (from LHR) to Miami twice (once in First and once in Club), San Diego (Club) and Buenos Aires (First).

If you're trying to book reward flights (in the summer) to popular summer destinations that might be the problem.

PeetD
4th Apr 2012, 09:06
Is there anything going on in London in the summer that might make reward flights difficult to find?

G-BPED
4th Apr 2012, 09:08
The 2012 Olympics!

martin102
4th Apr 2012, 16:18
Have to say never had any problems contacting the Executive Club or on flight redemption. Off to New York in early December on Avios in First.

Babaleka
5th Apr 2012, 13:38
I may be going slightly off thread here but I will try and justify that by using my Executive Club membership as a reason for doing so . I have tried corresponding via the BA site , completed three or four surveys and written direct to Customer service with nothing other than what seems to be electronic answers .

* Why is it that membership levels were set to zero at the end of last year? I went from Silver to Bronze overnight and in doing so lost access to the Business Class lounges.It is going to take me the best part of six months to get back up to Silver Class level.

* I am told that air miles cannot be used to upgrade if the flight was booked via a travel agency. How do BA justify that ? As most of my flights are on business they are booked via a (company) appointed travel agency as I imagine is the case with other similar travellers.

On a more positive note :

* Cabin upgrades on the return leg of my last flight (to the Middle East) in Economy and World Traveller Plus make for more comfortable flying - and they look a heck of a lot better.
When do BA expect the upgrade to be completed on all other aircraft ? is the upgrade being doen on the basis of Long haul , medium Haul and short haul ? and Is there any truth in rumours that World Traveller Plus will offer more in terms of meals thus making the extra cost that much more worthwhile.

* For my money the BA CC give excellent customer service doing a job that would drive to to absolute distraction . You have my utmost admiration.

PAXboy
5th Apr 2012, 14:15
Babaleka If I may, a personal view:

Why is it that membership levels were set to zero at the end of last year? I went from Silver to Bronze overnight and in doing so lost access to the Business Class lounges.It is going to take me the best part of six months to get back up to Silver Class level.Exactly! Then you won't make it to Gold in a single year, unless you are a VERY good customer. Separates the wheat from the chaff, dontcha' know. :hmm:

I am told that air miles cannot be used to upgrade if the flight was booked via a travel agency. How do BA justify that ? As most of my flights are on business they are booked via a (company) appointed travel agency as I imagine is the case with other similar travellers. Exactly! Then you won't be able to use all of your redemption miles and it's YOUR fault that you could not. But, as long as you can't spend them, we don't have to have to give you anything.

Simples! :E

By the way, I do agree about the BA Cabin Crew and Flight Crew. It's a shame about their mgmt.

PeetD
5th Apr 2012, 14:28
The 2012 Olympics!

Thanks for that. I hadn't noticed. :D

Babaleka
8th Apr 2012, 09:06
PAXBOY

Do you or anyone reading this know where I might be able to get a response / answers to my questions ? Thanks in advance B

PAXboy
8th Apr 2012, 12:34
If I have a difficult question for any airline mileage company, I always try late at night/middle of the night, if their opening times permit. I try to get them when it's quiet and they have the time to have a chat and give you more information. Even if they can't help - they might tell you who can but bear in mind that their conversations are recorded constantly and they cannot go over the line.

strake
10th Apr 2012, 19:24
I spent enough time at the very "top" level of both BA and VS Clubs to realise that the parts of the Club you apply to join are nowhere near as comfortable and rewarding as the parts which are not advertised but where you are told you have arrived without asking. They were both well above Gold or whatever it is today. In terms of "loyalty", 10 First (or a few Concorde) or 12 UC trips annually ticked the box.

It was fun while it lasted.

Nowadays, I just look for the cheapest fare, turn my iPod on and keep my head down :)