PDA

View Full Version : Turbot sensors

pilot9248
2nd Apr 2012, 14:33
Hi,

recently I've come across some sensors called "turbot". Apparently they are used on gas turbine engines for the purpose of measuring certain parameters inside a turbine section, but which exactly I have yet not been able to figure out.
To cut a long story short, I'd like to know where the name turbot comes from, whether it is some kind of abbreviation (and please do not talk about fish ;)) or just the name of the sensor.
I'd also like to know which parameters of a gas turbine engine you can monitor using a turbot.
btw I have carried out some research, unfortunately nothing useful so far.
Many thanks!

tonkaplonka
2nd Apr 2012, 15:45
TURBOT stands for turbine over temperature sensor. They are fitted to the M12 of RB199 engines. Fiddly buggers to fit. They are made from firewire and are welded to the middle of the LP turbine stator.

pilot9248
2nd Apr 2012, 18:35
Cheers mate! That makes perfect sense. I never really paid much attention to the turbot while working on the RB199, probably because I have never worked at module assembly. I always thought they were fitted for monitoring the gas temperature at the LPT stator stage 1, in addition to the TBT and EGT measuring. Quite recently we have met again ;) as two of them are fitted to the LPT of the TP400.