PDA

View Full Version : BA's fleet becoming a disgrace... Is it any wonder people abandon old carriers?

AdamFrisch
1st Apr 2012, 18:28
I fly almost monthly between Europe and the US and most often LAX-LHR. I hadn't flown BA in a while as I'd been rather underwhelmed every time beforehand. But this time the price was right and the flight times we're appealing, so I thought I'd give it a go. At $1600 R/T in economy, it was certainly not the cheapest LAX-LHR tour I've done, but certainly not the dearest either.

Boy oh boy, what a mess. In no way am what I'm about to say a reflection on the poor crew, they did the best they could with what they had, but a serious wake up call to BA and the fleet they choose to use.

It started rather bad for the poor guy next to me getting dripped in the head by condensation that wouldn't stop. They couldn't relocate him as the flight was full, so they offered him a blanket for his head to soak up the drips(!). The entertainment system was the old 4:3 square LCD's barely larger than my iPhone. The screen was so fuzzy and unsharp that it was impossible to watch anything on it - clearly been in service too long. But the coup de grace was the photo I took of the reading lamps in the overhead - this has obviously not been cleaned for months:

http://www.adamfrisch.com/images/ba-filth.jpg

The most tired, filthy, smelly, old 747 was what BA thought was a great idea to put on this route, you see. The 747-400 felt like it was from the 80's and so did the rattling interior. Maybe it's passed them by that Los Angeles is the entertainment capital of the world and that many of the travellers might be experienced travellers, very vocal, used to good service and talk amongst themselves when it comes to recommneds etc.

All the national carriers these days have become a total disgrace. Last time on Lufthansa from LAX-MUC they had a 747 with the old CRT display in the aisle we all had to share, no IES at all. That's what they run to Hollywood with? Exactly which of the nice airplanes, with IES, do they think are better spent elsewhere? Which routes are those - I'd like to know. How many old airplanes without IES does Emirates have? Or Air New Zealand? Virgin? Same with BA - they run 777's to Asia that I've heard are nice and well kept after, but the US gets these old pieces of junk? Can someone on the inside explain the philosophy as I fail to see the logic.

BA - take note from Air New Zeeland on the LAX-LHR route. Brand new 777-300's. Power outlets at every seat so you can work. Every seat. IES screen bigger in size than my home TV. Clean, crisp, minimalistic seat design. Food the same - less, but very nice quality. The tray completely uncluttered. Second meal is actually a breakfast, not BA's diabetes inducing snack pack with a sugared muffin, sugared yoghurt, cake and raisins.

I will never fly BA again on this route. In Europe they're better - my connection to Lisbon was much nicer. Why can't they at least attempt to be that on long haul?

Large fries
1st Apr 2012, 18:37
BA now use B777 on LHR-LAX

Large fries
1st Apr 2012, 18:47
Picture of BA777 at LAX, taken just a few hours ago.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/555492_187095938073517_100003193366960_303232_1189519223_n.j pg

CaptainDoony
1st Apr 2012, 18:51
Well I flew this week from LHR-EWR on a 777 (G-RAES) and it has one of the best economy class products on the market IMO. The 747s are already starting to be phased out and BA use the 77W on some of the LAX runs.

And to answer your question about putting the 747 on the route it is for the greater capacity the 747 has i.e. 70 in J

8674planes
1st Apr 2012, 19:48
While on the subject of airlines I flew the gatwick to Atlanta route last year on Delta's 767-300 N171DZ Iwas disapinted with that we did not have oour own T.V monitors on the head rests. Instead they had the uncomftable and ugly drop down screens from the cabin roof. This was the case on the return journey as well. It said on delta's website that most of their long haul fleet had USB stations and the new entertainment systems on boad the aircraft. Unlukily for me that was not the case.

Skipness One Echo
1st Apr 2012, 19:57
Some of the B744s are in great shape, some quite poor, with 52 aircraft built over an 10 year period, there will be differences. The situation on the day though was completely unacceptable for the fellow who got wet, though in my experience this is not typical of the BA economy product.

Only one of the three daily LHR-LAX routes has just been upgraded to a B777-300ER, the BA279 / 278.

I did four sectors on Delta and two on American last month, and the transatlantic sectors on the Delta B767-300ERs were quite retro with the best not surprisingly being a new B777-200LR on a domestic sector.

What was the date and we'll see what aircraft was involved, then we can comment on age etc.

Cazza_fly
1st Apr 2012, 20:11
It is a shame to see/hear the BA 747 interiors (atleast in World Traveller) are now becoming in such a worn out state. I know BA currently have no plans to upgrade or refit this area of the 747 aircraft, although they are apparently giving many a light spruce up and deep clean over the next few months.

BA are however investing heavily in improving the interior of many of their other long-haul aircraft. Hopefully they will realise that giving a more standard product offering across the entire fleet is the way forward.

777:
The improvements that are planned for a large part of the fleet are to match those of the newer 777-300ER cabins. These include, new Recaro seats in World Traveller and World Traveller Plus. All cabins will receive upgraded Thales Inflight Entertainment systems each with larger seat back/individual screens. This update is currently only planned for the GE-powered 777-200 aircraft that do not have the standard AVOD IFE system which can found on some of the GE-fleet and all of the RR-powered 777-200 and 747 aircraft.

While I understand the decision not to upgrade the 747 fleet with the new seating and IFE systems, (as these will slowly start to be phased out in the near future) Hopefully the remainder of the 777 fleet will soon be scheduled to follow, so to offer a standardised product on this fleet.

767:
This fleet is also currently experiencing a cabin refresh. Both the Long-haul and short-haul configured aircraft will receive updated overhead lockers and new lighting. New seat covers will be fitted throughout all classes and the Club World seating will be reupholstered to match the look across the rest of the fleet.

Another area in which BA are investing with their Long-haul fleet is with the introduction of brand new aircraft. The 787 and A380 aircraft is also expected to have the same seating and entertainment systems that are now being fitted to the above refreshed 777 aircraft.

Kinocker
1st Apr 2012, 21:20
Interesting...I'll be flying LHR-LAX and back in a couple of months with BA, scheduled to go out on a 777 and back on a 747. Sounds like it will be two very contrasting flights.

Although nothing will be comparable to a NYC trip I took last year in terms of contrast, out with AF on the upper deck of an A380 and back with Delta down the back of a ridiculously awful 767. Retro doesn't begin to describe it. Basically if you ever have the opportunity to fly transatlantic on a 767 with Delta pay whatever it takes to get an alternative. Hopefully compared to that BA's 747 won't seem so bad!

AdamFrisch
1st Apr 2012, 21:49
My LAX-LHR was BA282 just two days ago, so very recent.

I agree about Delta - the US carriers are all in a separate class of sh*t by themselves, AA being the worst. The only thing one can fly domestically is Virgin America. Avoid the US carriers like the plague.

Flyboy91
2nd Apr 2012, 00:06
All be thankful you weren't flying Air Asia for 14 hour non-stop flight to KL with nothing more than an uncomfortable seat! crap (expensive )food and no tv! :yuk:

TwinAisle
2nd Apr 2012, 06:20
To add my thoughts....

I recently flew LHR-DXB on one of BA's 767s. Normally, I'd be on EK or VS, but both were full that night.

The aircraft was a disgrace. Lots of chipped fittings, a tear in the fabric of the bulkhead, a deep scratch in the window (that was ingrained with dirt, so not recent). It was also filthy - I had to use my wet wipe to clean the mean tray, it was covered in a dry red wine, food from the previous flight and what looked like damp and gelatinous coffee. The window was almost opaque with grime, and what looked like mould between the plastic inner and the outer pressure window.

The IFE was indeed video on demand - but four channels (that I tried to watch) all were so quiet as to be inaudible (other channels were OK). The screen, as someone else noted, wasn't much larger than my iPhone's.

The catering tray was too wide, meaning mine hung into my neighbour's space, and her's then overhung the aisle. Not safe. Catering was presented as 'chicken or something with pasta, I think' - the chicken was a red hot curry; thankfully I like hot food, but many who had gone for the 'safe' chicken choice found it too spicy.

I appreciate that this fleet is up for refurb, but why on earth are BA using this on DXB when they are up against EK?

Skipness One Echo
2nd Apr 2012, 12:04
but why on earth are BA using this on DXB when they are up against EK?
Emirates have some VERY varible and old aircraft, the trick is to keep them off prime business routes like LHR. The older B777s are dedicated to the likes of the Gulf reionals, Bangladesh and Pakistan for a reason.....

BA went through a period of money saving and penny pinching and the product still suffers as a result today. If continuous investment and renewal is interrupted, it can take years to get back to where you were. There's no excuse for a manky aircraft though and sounds like someone needs a kick up the backside.

Evanelpus
2nd Apr 2012, 12:26
Interesting...I'll be flying LHR-LAX and back in a couple of months with BA, scheduled to go out on a 777 and back on a 747

I suggest you take a rain coat with a hood!

All be thankful you weren't flying Air Asia for 14 hour non-stop flight to KL with nothing more than an uncomfortable seat! crap (expensive )food and no tv!

You get what you pay for. If you are expecting the same service/amenities you get from a scheduled carrier there is something radically wrong with the thought process. Pay cheap, get cheap.....simples!:ugh:

edi_local
2nd Apr 2012, 18:27
I've not experienced BA longhaul (although I will be going LHR-ORD//TPA-LGW in a few weeks, both 777), but have plenty of shorthaul flights with them under my belt. The vast majority of them have been out of LHR on the airbus fleet, which have always been immaculate, as have the EMBs on the LCY routes, I cannot say the same for their LGW Boeing fleet at all.

I was on a particularly scabby 737 a few years back from LGW-PRG. My arm rest was duct taped down, to prevent the rubber coming away from the metal bit and the row behind us was closed off, all 3 seats were folded down and had "not in use" covers on them. The tannoy was very quiet and muffled and the cabin fittings generally looked run down and one panel next to us was coming lose!

Our 757 back from BUD was in much better nick. I last used a BA 737 a few months ago EDI-LGW and it was not in a much better state than the one I used in 2006. In fact it was just the same. Worn out seats, lose window blinds, torn carpets. Looked like they hadn't been taken care of inside at all. Are BA replacing their LGW 737s with Airbuses any time soon?

I can't say BA are alone in this though. KLM have some pretty tired looking 777s that I have used recently. On a recent flight from AMS-JNB my tv screen broke 2 hours outside of JNB and the headphone socket on the (empty) seat next to me didn't work right! No cabin crew around to report this to, doubt they could have done a lot in mid-flight anyway. They were also missing the crown from the "KLM" lettering on the bulkhead wall at the front of the rear economy section. The KL Fokkers have seen better days, but their EMBs on the cityhopper routes are fantastic.

Anyone know if the 777s used LHR-ORD are generally in good condition or do they stick older fleet on that route? I chose the late morning flight to avoid the AA codeshares. I wasn't aware at the time, but a 747 is being used on one of the afternoon flights, so I hope I made a good choice! :ok:

smith
2nd Apr 2012, 19:43
all were so quiet as to be inaudible (other channels were OK

The earphones they give you are notoriously bad, take your own iPod earphones and the sound is pretty good. I flew Delta to Miami on 767 and BA on 747. Thought both were pretty decent flights. Only thing is the Delta stewardesses must have had a mean age of about 68. They all looked pretty fit from behind with their blonde hair, but when they turned round you could tell they were good lookers in their day but now looked like old lushes with their sharp haggard faces :cool:

Aero Mad
2nd Apr 2012, 19:47
They all looked pretty fit from behind with their blonde hair, but when they turned round you could tell they were good lookers in their day but now looked like old lushes with their sharp haggard faces

I could rant about the sexualisation of society, but perhaps it boils down to you not needing to ogle the stewardesses. If you want that sort of thing then perhaps you should have invested in a copy of The Sun or even Nuts as you passed through departures.

500 above
2nd Apr 2012, 19:50
I dread the LHR -DFW trip personally when I go for my sim training. The T7 was a pleasure to fly in down the back. Since going to the 744 it's pure misery. Adam, I noticed recently the same filthy overhead reading lights. Not a good advert for BA.

Mr Angry from Purley
2nd Apr 2012, 20:10
Flown BA 747 and 777 recently no issues great flights. I'd rather fly safe with BA on an old aircraft than fly a new aircraft with some of the other "new" carriers out there....:\

smith
3rd Apr 2012, 08:19
I could rant about the sexualisation of society, but perhaps it boils down to you not needing to ogle the stewardesses. If you want that sort of thing then perhaps you should have invested in a copy of The Sun or even Nuts as you passed through departures.

Ha Ha ha, chill out man, it's nice to get a bit of eye candy now and again on a long haul flight. Dunno what it is but most American airlines, espescially Delta have really old, bus pass pulling trolly dollies.

Skystar320
3rd Apr 2012, 12:05
Nice April fools joke :8

cym
3rd Apr 2012, 12:08
flew BA SIN - SYD (777) and BKK - LHR (747) over the last month. Both aircraft fine and brilliant service - BA has a great offering for the fares charged

MidlandDeltic
3rd Apr 2012, 12:59
Flown BA 747 and 777 recently no issues great flights. I'd rather fly safe with BA on an old aircraft than fly a new aircraft with some of the other "new" carriers out there....http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wibble.gif

Hmmm. I take a different view; if an airline cannot maintain interiors in a clean and presentable condition (a relatively cheap area of work), then how are they managing with the expensive bits elsewhere on the aiirframe?

Dirty, worn interiors indicate that there is a "couldn't care less" attitude somewhere. Maybe replacing worn seat covers or scratched windows isn't as rewarding as the higher tech bits, but it is still important and not doing them has a cost - as the OP indicates.

TwinAisle
3rd Apr 2012, 13:03
There really is little excuse for a dirty aircraft, especially on a 'premium' route departing from your own base.

I've got the return ticket to look forward to at some point; I'll change it to the 747 service, see what that is like...

Mr Mac
3rd Apr 2012, 13:21
Skipness one echo
Would agree with you, EK do have some older a/c and they cascade them from premier routes, to shall we say poorer areas of the world. However they have less of these older a/c than BA currently do, and are replacing them at a quicker rate than BA. Another reason not to chose BA IMHO never mind the LHR Shuffle.