PDA

View Full Version : RAF Devons - 21, 26 and 207 Squadrons

Lee Howard
1st Apr 2012, 11:32
Chaps

Is there anyone here who flew RAF Devons with either 21 Squadron Andover, 26 Squadron Wyton or 207 Squadron Northolt, roughly between 1969 and 1974? Specifically looking for anyone who might have flown the aircraft to/from Hawker-Siddeley at Chester when they were converted to C.2/2 standard (with the Heron-type canopy).

MTIA

Lee

LesleyP
10th Apr 2012, 09:25
My late husband, Dick Hayward, flew with 207 Sqn 1969-1972 and he was in and out of Hawarden (Chester?) in '69 and there is an annotation in his log re. an acceptance check on VP965 for 15 Dec 1969 The 207 Sqn Association might be able to help you with more definite info.
Lesley (a chapess!)

Lee Howard
10th Apr 2012, 21:30
Lesley

Many thanks for the reply. Good stuff. Any chance you could confirm any of the dates he flew aircraft to/at/from Chester? Was VP965's date at Chester or at Northolt?

Much appreciated.

Rgds

Lee

Tinribs
18th Apr 2012, 19:51
Dear Lesley

Your husband taught me the Devon at Farnborough on 23 March 1983

We could borrow an aeroplane to do the civil instrument rating and I was vastly impressed with the instructional ability and kindness of Sir

His help lead to my passing the civil instrument rating first time, not that common, and then a happy second career with airlines various

Without your man it wouldn't have happened and so a sincere thank you to a lady who must have been part of the masters work

Lee Howard
21st Apr 2012, 20:55
BUMP! :ok:

Tinribs
26th Apr 2012, 17:00
Wos "Bump" mean

MrBernoulli
26th Apr 2012, 18:55
It's like 'thump', only harder.

Actually, what Lee Howard did was to add a (recent) post to the thread, thereby 'bumping' it up the list of threads on the forum, making it much easier for all PPRuNe-ites to see and find it! :ok:

Lee Howard
2nd May 2012, 20:04
Indeed I did, sadly with no further response.

Still looking for anyone connected with RAF/RAE Devon ops (see my other thread on Aviation Nostalgia header).....:hmm:

Lee Howard
13th May 2012, 08:27
Although I've had some very useful PMs and generous offers of assistance, is there no one else lurking in the shadows on here with stories to tell of Devon/Heron ops?

Tinribs
19th May 2012, 19:39
In the 80s it was the custom to allow service pilots to use some of their training allowance to take a civil instrument rating when approaching retirement. This was not the error it might seem because the service gained insight into civil flying on the cheap and was often able to update training ideas for free by debriefing those who passed the test

On my test the aircraft was needed at Farnborough the next day for a flight with a full load of passengers, this meant that no more tha half a tank of deicing fluid could be carried. But we had to produce the aircraft fully serviced for the instrument rating which included a full tank of fluid which would take about three hours to consume. Since the instrument rating test lasted about 40 minutes and the flight back to Farnborough about thirty the deicing system had to be on for most of the test flight. My tester. Mr Fish, really couldn't understand we were going to dump the fluid over the side because we couldnt empty it out on the ground

Lee Howard
23rd May 2012, 12:57
Great anecdote, Tinribs! Happy if I quote you on that one?

Anyone else with anecdotes about flying the Devon?

flyingflea
24th May 2012, 15:00
I helped maintain the RAE Farnborough Devons between 1981 and 1983 as an young airframe/engine tech. From what I remember on cold mornings we pumped hot oil around the engines before they were started and also regularly changed the push rod tube seals that were prone to harden and leak. The de ice was fluid pumped through thin porous strips attached to the leading edge - quite Heath Robinson. The gear was operated with pneumatics which were pretty inefficient and difficult to maintain.

I remember once during heavy maintenance, machining new wing spar bushes as the originals were scored - presumably no originals were available.

In those days RAE encouraged techs to fly on post maintenance flights, part treat and part incentive to do it right!

1984 - Dakota engine change Xmas eve......those were the days

Tinribs
24th May 2012, 15:17
Fluid de icing was unusual but used on several slow ish types including the Varsity Devon and Shackleton.

The system had some porous strips on the leading edges through which noxious green fluid oozed via an electric pump. The fluid slid rearwards in the airflow to cover the flying surfaces and prevent ice adhereing.

I think it went wrong on the Shak 3 because the aircraft cruised at a slower speed due to heavier weight and therefore higher angle of attack. All the fluid went over the wing and over the tailplane, ice covered the upper wing, tailpane in some conditions. I think a shak crash was attributed to this but can't say for sure

Lee Howard
6th Jun 2012, 21:21
I've had some terrific responses to my request for information which have all helped to paint a most interesting story. But I'd still welcome contact with other former Devon crews (and maintainers) - especially those of 21, 26 and 60 Squadrons.

Anyone?