PDA

View Full Version : Used and abused

Kruxl
1st Apr 2012, 08:26
As we all know the Helicopter Industry is a very tough business to get into and sometimes it is though to keep on going. So far I am able to describe my work relationship with current employers and former with basicly two words: Used and abused. :D

As funny as this sounds. It isn`t. Here is a little closer look what I mean:

55 to 60 working hours a week is common and overtime is not even paid.

I am talking about 10 - 14 working hours a day and sometimes 6 days a week.

Relocation after work to another airport with the car, several hours drive.

Regular violations of flight and duty times.

Regular requests of violations against the law.

Always stupid requests from your boss to do medical exams and stuff like that on your days of and so on.

This is not experience from a singel oerator I have made, it is rather a closer look at the whole industry. (At least in Germany)

What is your experience with different operators, helicopter markets in other countries and work relationships. Are there companys out there where you feel well treated and feel happy to contribute your work and experience to them?

Epiphany
1st Apr 2012, 12:18
There are good operators out there who treat their staff well and try to work within the rules. Unfortunately they are becoming rarer. The problem is that these 'good' operators are competing with the 'bad' ones who often are able to bid for contracts at a lower rate because they cut costs elsewhere - i.e. in training, pay and staffing levels.

It amazes me that national authorities do not seem to audit and police these operators other than ensure that their ops manuals and paperwork is compliant. They seem oblivious to what goes on and is unreported.

You report the bad practices and are out of a job, the authorities do nothing and you are replaced with someone who will gladly accept the job.

Welcome to the helicopter industry.

ec155mech
1st Apr 2012, 17:39
isnt that what non conformity reports are for. or the reporting systems at the different CAA's

if filed with the appropriate evidence Im that supports it going on, on a continuous basis. they'll have to do something.

OvertHawk
1st Apr 2012, 18:46
No they won't have to do anything - they'll ignore it until there is an accident then come down hard on the unfortunate commander who happened to be unlucky enough to draw the short straw and have the inevitable happen on his shift. After having done this - proving that they are serious about things - they will go back to sleep until someone else is hurt.

:ugh:
OH

mikelimapapa
2nd Apr 2012, 03:52
I have been standing next to an FAA inspector before and a blatant violation happened in clear view of both of us. I turn to him and ask, "Aren't you going to do anything?" He says, "Nah, too much paperwork." :ugh::ugh:

cladosporangium
6th Apr 2012, 14:22
Unfortunately Epiphany has called it right.......:yuk:

hueyracer
6th Apr 2012, 18:02
Didnīt you learn to "Analyze situation, then take proper action"?

If you donīt like it-change it or leave it...

Violations against the law are non-acceptable.

Bad management has killed many pilots in this business (as happened lately), so make sure youīre not the next alligned....

ESPECIALLY in Germany.....

PO dust devil
7th Apr 2012, 14:35
Why not gather some close friends, slip a pillow case over the boss' head and belt some sense into him. Oh sorry - that is illegal. Someone would do something about that. Still - it could provide some nice feel good time planning it in your mind, even if it never comes to fruition.

epiphany is unfortunately, on the money. Vote with your feet is my very sincere advice, before the work practice reflects on you in some way.:(

DD