PDA

View Full Version : Which day for a trip to MAN airport?

dodos9
31st Mar 2012, 23:28
Hello guys!

Since I have two weeks off school now, I decided that one day I will get up in the morning (which I hate!) and go to Manchester airport for some spotting (this word sounds too professional to me; all I do is just watch the planes and take a couple of photos and basically enjoy the day; no serious photography). The thing is that I am not sure what day to go there (the best part of the day seems to be morning with the heavies coming in from over the Atlantic; it's the day that I am not sure of).

The planes I would like to see are the less frequent heavies i.e. A380, B747, A330, MD-11. Of course I will enjoy the more often ones like A320s, B737s, B757s, B767s etc. too, but the heavy ones are the ones I would like to see the most.

A380 - Not a problem really as it comes in everyday, so this one seems to be sorted

B747 - Virgin flies it from KMCO, but sometimes they fly this route with A330s and I actually checked on their website that one day both, A330 and B747 come in. Also Air China Cargo flies to MAN I think, so it'd be good to see this one too

A330 - Not that important, but it'd be nice to see when it so happens to be coming in from KMCO (Monarch flies them around Europe too I believe)

MD-11 - Well, this seems to be the one I would like to see the most. As far as I know, I comes from KDTW as GEC (Lufthansa Cargo), however I cannot seem to find which days they come in to MAN

I would be grateful if any of you who definitely know more than I do about this could help me to choose the best day to go there. The best seems to be when MD-11 comes in from KDTW, B747 comes in from KMCO and Air China Cargo, A330 comes in with B747 from KMCO (not as important!), and of course daily A380 service. Or maybe you know even more flights that I would find interesting?

Thanks in advance

dodos9

EDIT: I have only just found that B777 comes in from Singapore early morning too, so it'd be nice to see that one too! And Cathay Pacific B747 is also at MAN sometimes.

AircraftOperations
1st Apr 2012, 01:18
Since you seem to know where many of the flights come into MAN from, then I suggest you just look at the timetables on the airport or airline website to find out which days and times the flights operate.

There is also an airport specific Aviation Society website which lists arrival/departure times with flight numbers and types which will give you a good guide. (search TAS Manchester)

As far as I know, the LH Cargo MD-11 doesn't come in from Detroit, but is usually twice a week (Wed & Sun?) in the early evening. The TAS site would help you, but remember that cargo flights might arrive more off schedule than many passenger flights.

And I don't think China Airlines (not Air China - different airline & country) fly to MAN anymore now.

JSCL
1st Apr 2012, 12:33
Virgin 747 more likely to be seen Sun, Mon and Weds during the day. It does the Grantley Adams and Orlando runs.

A330 - you will see every day with Qatar. The GEC MD-11 flies most Sunday nights, due 9-10pm I think so you won't get to see that. Just go to AMS and see some MD-11's :)

Don't do spotting unfortunately, but this is just what I know from observing what passed over my house every now and then :)

donnlass
1st Apr 2012, 14:25
You might be wise to buy FlightCheck which is the Official Monthly Timetable for Manchester Airport.

You can buy it for £2.50 at WHS Smith or the Viewing Park Shops or see online at:

Flight Check - Home (http://www.tasmanchester.com/flightcheck/index.html)

Hope you enjoy your day.

spannersatcx
1st Apr 2012, 15:08
The VS 744 is in everyday as is the 330, CX varies as lots of flts cancelled due economic downturn, it's in Wed and Sun next week around 0950.:sad:

dodos9
1st Apr 2012, 20:38
Thanks a lot for all the replies so far!

@AircraftOperations
The passengers flight, yes, I can check but it's the cargo ones that I cannot seem to find anywhere. Thanks for pointing out that website to me. It's got a lot of information there.

@JSCL
Thanks for the info. I wish I could go AMS. It's like an MD-11 theme park there!

@donnlass
I actually found this on the website given by AircraftOperations. I even tried today at my local WHSmith's but they didn't have a clue what I was talking about. I checked on that website and there only a handful of places where they are sold. I will be going city centre on Tuesday and then I will definitely get one there.

@spannersatcx
Are you sure that Virgin's 747 comes in everyday. I recall seeing A330 when walking to school quite often. I don't think that two Virgins come in the same day from over Atlantic. Correct me if I am wrong. Thanks

donnlass
1st Apr 2012, 21:27
Hi dodos you will find them with the other aircraft and transport magazines.

Hope this helps:ok:

spannersatcx
2nd Apr 2012, 10:00
Are you sure that Virgin's 747 comes in everyday. I recall seeing A330 when walking to school quite often. I don't think that two Virgins come in the same day from over Atlantic. Correct me if I am wrong. Thanks
You are wrong.

Ringwayman
2nd Apr 2012, 21:07
Go tomorrow and you should see 2 Emirates A380s. One on the normal schedule, and one routing Toronto-MAN-Dubai (times for this 0940 arrival, 1100 departure). Now if this slips.... there's a possibilty of both on the ground at the same time