PDA

View Full Version : RCAF Wants RAF Pilots

KKoran
31st Mar 2012, 21:27
Britain's loss is Canada's gain.

Faced with a shortage of pilots, Canada's air force is turning its attention to Britain and is looking to hire out-of-work military aviators from that country.

One has been hired so far, with another 20 to 25 skilled pilots and eight other personnel to be enrolled in the Canadian Forces sometime this year.

Canadian Air Force looks to import pilots (http://www.canada.com/news/Canadian+Force+looks+import+pilots/6388982/story.html#ixzz1qjRT5B5B)

MechGov
3rd Apr 2012, 12:51
Anybody have a point of contact for the Canadian who's administering this?
Thanks.

Party Animal
3rd Apr 2012, 13:15
Not too sure about pilots but a number of former Nimrod WSO/WSOps have expressed a serious interest, all helped by the healthy reputation the Seedcorn cadre have gained.

Bob Viking
3rd Apr 2012, 15:12
I hope he won't mind me posting this but here is the contact details for a guy I spoke to a little while ago who was in the know (he is on the Air Force Intake and Liaison Team):

[email protected]

Best of luck,
BV:ok:

RODF3
3rd Apr 2012, 15:27
Anybody have a point of contact for the Canadian who's administering this?
Thanks.

I have PM'd you with some details.:)

dallas
3rd Apr 2012, 20:37
Don't know if it's still the case, but the RCAF used to be much worse funded than the RAF. IIRC the Toronto Sun ran a feature on a CC-130 coming back from Afghan that took literally weeks to get back to Canada because of constantly breaking down wherever it landed en route.

So by all means go for the lifestyle and scenery, but don't necessarily expect any better military funding.

Mightycrewseven
3rd Apr 2012, 21:19
So by all means go for the lifestyle and scenery, but don't necessarily expect any better military funding.

Lifestyle is a small part of it, but military funding isn't. Feeling wanted and valued is a huge driver.

StopStart
3rd Apr 2012, 22:53
Don't know if it's still the case, but the RCAF used to be much worse funded than the RAF. IIRC the Toronto Sun ran a feature on a CC-130 coming back from Afghan that took literally weeks to get back to Canada because of constantly breaking down wherever it landed en route.

:hmm:

You're having a laugh aren't you? I can only assume you have had no contact with the RAF C130 fleet of late.....

Bob Viking
3rd Apr 2012, 23:41
Lifestyle is a small part of it? Are you kidding?! Lifestyle is a huge part of it. You won't be at work 24/7. Besides although they have problems in Canada it is no different to the UK in that respect. However, certainly in the pilot world, individuals are treated way better than the UK. They are paid better (current exchange rate has a reasonable amount to do with that), they get better allowances (no receipts to prove what you had for dinner - how does $70/day for food with no questions asked strike you?!). Depending on where you are houses are way more affordable and substantially bigger. I could go on but I recommend guys do their own research before signing up.
As with everything it is horses for courses but I don't think many people would be disappointed with the lifestyle and work in Canada.
BV:cool:

dallas
5th Apr 2012, 21:17
You're having a laugh aren't you? I can only assume you have had no contact with the RAF C130 fleet of late.....
To be fair, it's been 4ish years...

Robert Cooper
6th Apr 2012, 18:52
Recruiting RAF personnel includes bringing in experienced personnel at higher rank, with recognition of time already served in the British military. British recruits will also be able to become Canadian citizens.

Bob C

Wensleydale
6th Apr 2012, 18:58
I dream of being a Lumberjack......

Monty77
6th Apr 2012, 19:12
Tried and failed, sadly.
Rotary bloke with 5000 and currently fixed-wing with 1000 turbo/piston instructional = soz mate.
They were very nice about it but it seems they will target specific areas, and who can blame them?
Great country and great people.

Wensleydale
7th Apr 2012, 07:51
Tried and failed, sadly.

Monty77. Perhaps you should have changed your handle to "Mountie77"?:)

Gundog01
7th Apr 2012, 09:55
RAAF is still chasing Fast Jet types also.

Z767
11th Apr 2012, 23:24
Hello All,

I was in the RCAF for 17 years and left to join the airlines. After 14 years with the airlines, I re-enrolled back into the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) and my job for the past 1 1/2 years has been as a member of the RCAF's Air Force Intake and Liaison Team (AFILT); of which, consists solely of me and a Master Warrant Officer (MWO) who administers the Non-Commissioned Officers.

I note that a contact of [email protected] has been identifed as a contact point; however, this colleague has not been involved in the initial processing for over a year now and is currently working in a position quite a bit downstream of the process.

I am also posted in a month; and in anticipation of my move I realized that this office was going to get quite busy over the coming years and therefore set up a positional email address so the applicants would not be tied to one specific individual.

Should you be interested in applying to the RCAF, please use the following contact information and I (over the next month) or my sucessor will provide you with all of the information you desire:

[email protected]

Best Regards and having been in a position of uncertainty in the past, may I wish you all the best in your aviation career,

Capt R.W. Byers
Air Force Intake and Liaison Team