PDA

View Full Version : Unruly Childeren

framer
30th Mar 2012, 19:48
From MSN News Website:

A US flight crew were forced to call police over the unruly behavior of two children from the same family travelling with their parents.
The children, aged three and eight, repeatedly refused to obey orders to put on their seatbelts by the captain and flight attendants during the SkyWest flight from Long Beach to Portland, KTLA reports.
Police boarded the flight upon landing and lectured the family on airline safety and regulations.
A statement from parent company Alaska Airlines said the measure was necessary as the children were creating a disturbance in the cabin.
"During the flight, the children became disruptive and wouldn't stay in their seats and wouldn't fasten their seat belts, which is against federal regulations," Alaska Airlines spokeswoman Marianne Lindsey said.
The family was allowed to continue on their Alaska Airlines connecting flight to Seattle.

captplaystation
30th Mar 2012, 20:34
Most airlines won't allow dogs in the cabin, better my Westie than these Urchins :=

Right Way Up
30th Mar 2012, 20:37
What a waste of police time..........most reasonable Captains should be able to deal with this.

captplaystation
30th Mar 2012, 20:40
Most reasonable parents (or at least those from a different generation ) would be able to deal with it, or would probably have done so years previously :oh:

Right Way Up
30th Mar 2012, 20:42
Too true.....would have taken just a look from my parents to get me sorted. :O

Piltdown Man
30th Mar 2012, 21:13
...most reasonable Captains should be able to deal with this.

I don't agree. In the air, this sort of thing requires tact and diplomacy which is something most cabin crew have. I'd also back the cabin crew all the way with whatever they decide but I can tell you for free, I'd insist that these people find a different mode of transport for their onward journey. If this happened to me, this would be the last time they ever flew with us. Families like this either have to stay at home or confine themselves to surface transport.

Right Way Up
30th Mar 2012, 21:43
Piltdown Man,

I agree with what you say but I don't think the police are really required, especially if in this case the family continue flying on the airline.....smacks of overkill. In my experience the majority of cases are dealt with well by the crew. If their efforts don't work I will have strong words with the parents and explain their responsibilities whilst onboard. If that doesn't work then I will recommend that my airline could do without their custom. Not exactly sure where the police fit in the process. (especially with kids involved)

Rwy in Sight
31st Mar 2012, 19:51
Maybe the parents would be more attentive at police comments rather than cabin crew orders!

cavortingcheetah
31st Mar 2012, 20:23
Aren't most US flight decks firearm friendly?

Impress to inflate
12th Apr 2012, 08:57
I have just traveled with Cathay from London to HK. I was in the lounge enjoying a bite to eat and a read of the paper when in walked a mum and 2 little sh^ts. They sat near the food area at which point the mum pulled out her iPad and Skype called her hubby. The Sh^ts then spent the next 30+ mins running around and shouts nearly knocking over people carrying hot food and drinks. They then moved to the quiet area of the lounge and kept the shouting and bad behaviour up. At that point I had to leave, not due to a flight but because I could feel the red shutters coming down. An hour later while boarding, I had a seat at the front of economy then low and behold the sh^ts were in Business and kept the bad behaviour up, mum sorting the kids out while on finals with the seat belt sign on etc. Mum didn't give a rats what the kids did or how they behaved in the business lounge or on the a/c

Old 'Un
12th Apr 2012, 23:31
A pat on the back used to suffice, a little low and a little hard. Wait.. That's not PC now, is it? Illegal in NZ now in fact. There goes the neighbourhood.

Tableview
13th Apr 2012, 05:47
I remember years ago a little brat was misbehaving, running up and down the aisle making aeroplane noises and annoying everyone. CC asked parents to control him, they said they couldn't and anyway they'd paid his fare so he was 'allowed' to be on the 'plane. Passengers asked kid to sit down and parents to control him, nothing happened.

Stewardess took kid into galley. I was sitting very close and heard the slap. Kid was heard screaming briefly, then silence. Stewardess returned kid to parents, : "Shame, he touched the hot water urn and got a fright." Rest of the flight. Silence. Way to go, but of course not allowed in these tragic days.

Mr Mac
13th Apr 2012, 08:18
Have had issues with kids on planes both in the back and in Business over the years and have had to learn to live with it as unfortunatly you can not move, or throw kids and parents out. Have found that if parents have nannies with them kids can be very well behaved and also if plane has good ICE.

I did once get my revenge on a train from London to Leeds when previouse trains had been delayed and my train became very full. I was in 1st class with business papers over table when what can be best described as an Earth mother / Greenham Common protester sat opposite me with 2 kids. Kids drove toys all over papers and were generally objectionable to hole carriage. Mother had only 2nd class ticket but said she would not stand for hole trip and guard no where to be seen. Kids started running up and down carriage trigering auto doors for fun. Door was to my left shoulder. After some miles totally fed up I stood up and placed overnight bag on edge of sensor for door which caused it to open, carefully removed bag door stays open until little urchin running at full tilt down carriage puts foot on sensor when it closed in his face, Claret evrey where big nose bleed !. Mother went beserk with BR Guard (was a long time ago) when he turned up but two other passengers observed what I had done, and when de training smiled and said "classic" . Generally like kids (do not have any maybe that,s why) but unruly ones and their parents are nightmares in enclosed spaces.

manintheback
13th Apr 2012, 16:13
Flew club last week to Dubai and back again. The cabin was packed with families (including mine) babes to teenagers. Obviously all very well heeled or on a miles upgrade like moi. Behaviour from all throughout impeccable. Excellent and hardworking CC as well (well done BA, keep it up).

Its all about the parents.

Rollingthunder
14th Apr 2012, 03:02
I fly 60,000 miles a year as pax. I've never experienced unruly kids on board.

Once had aisle seat with empty beside me. Young girl (maybe 2 1/2) comes down the aisle and stops. Looks at me, I smile. She then clambers onto empty seat (armrest was up), proceeds to walk over my legs to get a view out the window. My hands went around her waist to steady her. A few minutes later FA comes down the aisle looking. Gives me a smile - I gave her my help expression. Mum arrived shortly thereafter.

Tableview
14th Apr 2012, 08:17
Young girl (maybe 2 1/2) comes down the aisle and stops. Looks at me, I smile. She then clambers onto empty seat (armrest was up), proceeds to walk over my legs to get a view out the window. My hands went around her waist to steady her. A few minutes later FA comes down the aisle looking. Gives me a smile - I gave her my help expression. Mum arrived shortly thereafter.

The tragic thing about this kind human gesture is that if it had been in the UK (I'm assuming it wasn't?) you'd probably have been labelled a pervert by some interfering busybody.

Rollingthunder
15th Apr 2012, 01:33
That did enter my mind but the alternative was her falling off my leg.

Mark in CA
16th Apr 2012, 09:06
Reporter: How do you like children?

W.C. Fields: Well done.

Mr Mac
16th Apr 2012, 10:23
Mark In Ca

Old joke from WC but still good in some cases !. Over heard the following about 15 years ago in a bar in Leeds in the UK just before Xams. One gentleman was listing out presents that were being obtained for his children to his colleague. He had obviously a large family and listed 4 sets of presents when his colleague asked after a child called John who had not been discussed, and received the reply that "they had hung him as example to the others !!". It was a joke.

grimmrad
26th Apr 2012, 22:39
While I do not understand parents not controlling their kids (which, believe me, can be tough on a long flight, especially with smaller children at 2 or 3 years) - I would immediately sue any person laying hand on my kids, justified or not.

And remember - children are only reflecting their parents parental ability.

Piltdown Man
28th Apr 2012, 17:03
Which reminds me... A little while ago, I was told that a child (guess 6-7 years old) refused to sit in their seat and fasten their seat belt. "He won't do it!" says his mother and "I can't make him". It didn't take long for the little git to sit down and shut up because mummy didn't want to walk home. So there is no need for laying hands on any kids, as a parent you just have to pay for the trouble they cause - as ever!

Sunnyjohn
28th Apr 2012, 21:07
We came across a similar experience at VLC. After boarding, the cabin crew explained to a mother that her three year old son (a guess) would have to have a seat belt. Said lad steadfastly refused by kicking and other violent behaviour. The staff were fantastic and did all they could as tactfully as possible but the lad was adamant. The captain apologised and taxied back to the apron where an aiport bus met mum and son who left the aircraft apparently without a care in the world, stepped onto the bus (fortunately they had no hold luggage) and off they went back to the terminal. We've never seen anything quite like it. It was just as though they'd got on the wrong bus and were getting off to get on another one.

bondim
29th Apr 2012, 07:35
I recently had a mother literally dragging her 5 year old onboard, the poor kid was kicking and screaming on the floor in fear of flying! Turns out the older brother had been teasing him that "they were all gonna die". Shame on the mother for not controlling her older ( round 11) son and criticizing me for not managing to "coax" the little one into coming onboard. In the end, the boy had a visit to the flightdeck and calmed down. Yet, the mother's main concern seemed to be "her money back" if they had been unable to board. :ugh:

MidlandDeltic
7th May 2012, 16:34
While I do not understand parents not controlling their kids (which, believe me, can be tough on a long flight, especially with smaller children at 2 or 3 years) - I would immediately sue any person laying hand on my kids, justified or not.

Not supporting physical punishemnt, but that attitude is part of the problem generally, not just on planes.

When I was young, I knew not to get into trouble - or at least get found out. For example, I knew full well that if I got into trouble at school, I would be in even more trouble with my parents later. These days, the default response seems to be that parents back up their offspring against those in authority.

My kids have always known full well to behave when travelling, from a very young age. It needs enforcing that they do take heed of what they are told by officials, and do as they are told - something which the "stranger danger" culture seems to argue against. Unfortunately, many (and class does not seem to be an issue) seem to think it OK to let their kids run riot, but they will suddenly turn into responsible angels when they turn 3/7/11/15 or whenever.

Rollingthunder :

Once had aisle seat with empty beside me. Young girl (maybe 2 1/2) comes down the aisle and stops. Looks at me, I smile. She then clambers onto empty seat (armrest was up), proceeds to walk over my legs to get a view out the window. My hands went around her waist to steady her. A few minutes later FA comes down the aisle looking. Gives me a smile - I gave her my help expression. Mum arrived shortly thereafter.

Nice story, but in this day and age I would have prevented the child from reaching me (arm forward to seat in front to block the way) and pressed the call attendant button immediately. Too risky sadly to do anything else as a male travelling alone.

Sober Lark
8th May 2012, 09:07
If you fly with commercial airlines you're going to have to accept unpalatable food, lack of leg room and contact with arrogant, immature, irresponsible adults. You're even going to meet adults with feelings of entitlement. Some of you may be unlucky enough to have your flight diverted because of antisocial or alcohol induced vulgarity. Some of you will even view a diversion due to a fellow passenger having an in flight heart attack as bothersome. Generally children are fine its the adults that have the problems.

DX Wombat
8th May 2012, 09:36
Its all about the parents.Absolutely, but many of them have been brought up with the attitude that whatever they want they get and have no idea of consideration towards others.

Most airlines won't allow dogs in the cabin, better my Westie than these Urchins
Not on board an aircraft, but recently some friends and I had some time to kill so went to a pub for lunch. Because of access problems one friend needed to sit near a window. The only table free was next to some young-ish mums with an assortment of children at least two of whom were badly behaved and one of whom, aged five, stood on a seat then walked across the table - thankfully without his shoes.
As we were leaving I commented to the manager that whilst I appreciated the fact that they did not want dogs inside the pub and had no problem with that, my two who were in the car would have caused no disruption at all, unlike the little dears who had been sitting next to us. He smiled ruefully and said "I know."

"Please may I have a bowl of water and a biscuit?"
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/DX_Wombat/Bryn/P1012238.jpg
Bryn is his favourite, dog-friendly pub which has, sadly, now closed. :{

radeng
8th May 2012, 12:22
When at college many year s ago, we would often take the Head of Departments Border Collie out a luncht time. He really enjoyed having an ashtray washed out and then half a pint of Tolly Cobbold bitter put in it for him!

Apparently made him sleep in the afternoon....

Bryn the Sheepdog
8th May 2012, 17:26
What a kind person you are Mr Radeng. :) The Chief Spoilsport won't let me have any beer, she says it's not good for me. You wouldn't like to adopt me would you? http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/DX_Wombat/Bryn/puppy_wagging_tail-1111.gif

radeng
9th May 2012, 08:33
Sorry Bryn, the bosses here don't accept dogs. They don't even accept other cats!

DX Wombat
10th May 2012, 13:44
Quite right too Radeng. Bryn is now sitting in the corner mulling over his actions and would like to apologise for that request. :sad:

radeng
12th May 2012, 13:46
Pat his head for me, and tell him I'm sure he's very lovely - for a dog!

grimmrad
12th May 2012, 17:05
@ MidlandDeltic "Not supporting physical punishment, but that attitude is part of the problem generally, not just on planes."

Its not an attitude - its MY job to deal with MY kids and I do it MY way (and I have always got them to behave on a plane, even when very young - and were are flying frequently with grandparents all over the world) and I do not wan't or like anybody to interfere physically. By law I am the one who has to take care of the kid and no one else, everything else is battery.
So far I got most of the flights compliments from people around me how well behaved the kids were, even when I though it could have been better. I am pretty strict but refuse certainly any physical violence. One trick I play is to say if they are not behaving the captain is coming and they are not allowed to be on the plane (even in mid air) - funny, actually I am quite close it seems to reality. And I may add that my kids love to fly.

Maybe I am oversensitive since the result of child abuse is seen by my profession .

tvrfreak
30th May 2012, 07:19
Threats of lawsuits are only a deterrent in some parts of the world, and only against some people. It's a good thing your children are well-behaved, or you might have found that sticking up for your "principles" in this manner might not have been the best strategy.