PDA

View Full Version : Panic buying AvGas

PompeyPaul
30th Mar 2012, 11:56
Anybody? Or is it just petrol?

riverrock83
30th Mar 2012, 12:01
Since it will be after easter anyway...
BBC News - Fuel strike over Easter ruled out by union (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17558294)
I had presumed that bowser / airside drivers aren't striking - but I haven't heard that anywhere.
As for "topping up" now - I'd say W&B is slightly more important...

Dave Gittins
30th Mar 2012, 12:23
Suspect (hope) the average GA field fills it's tanks a lot less frequently than the average Tesco.

Should just be a matter of getting them full once and they should last a few weeks.

Probably a bigger pain for somebody with a farm strip and something that flies on mogas

Jan Olieslagers
30th Mar 2012, 13:20
Excuse my ignorance: why panic? Is it infected with filter-eating bacteriae?

BillieBob
30th Mar 2012, 14:15
The crass stupidity of the great British public never ceases to amaze. The strike, if it happens at all, cannot start until after Easter yet there is panic on the streets and fist fights outside filling stations. Now we hear that some airhead has suffered 40% burns after trying to decant petrol with a milk jug in front of an open flame! As far as I am aware, the strike, if it happens, will not affect the delivery of aviation fuels

Tableview
30th Mar 2012, 14:41
Blame the 'government' for everything, people often say. In this case, it's true! They can be blamed for the strike for not handling labour problems properly, and for not making it illegal for people in vital sectors to strike. It work in other countries.

They can be blamed for the panic buying for issuing half-baked and contradictory advice, and if there's a shortage caused by the panic buying, they can be blamed for that too.

I had to refuel a rental car on Wednesday prior to returning it an an airport - I felt quite self-conscious as I did so, wondering if anyone would think I was yet another ******** tankering in anticipation of a shortage, whereas it was simply so as not to be charged £2.20 a litre by the rental company.

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w497/pprunemike/panic.jpg

xrayalpha
31st Mar 2012, 10:45
As someone who runs a microlight school, we can go through 200l of mogas a day - makes interesting looks at the local filling station, but then the staff are good at explaining!

Avgas is our standby - can always use that (at a cost!) if no mogas - in the aircraft. But will then need mogas for 50 mile round trip to get the Avgas!

PompeyPaul
31st Mar 2012, 19:36
Love the beer sign!