PDA

View Full Version : Green card into USA

Jarvy
29th Mar 2012, 14:55
When I arrived at Newark yesterday the US citizens where being pulled in front of green card holders (me). Never had that before, is it a new thing or just at Newark?

malcolm380
29th Mar 2012, 18:04
never happened to me, and I am a green card holder who flies into Newark regularly.

vctenderness
30th Mar 2012, 07:55
I wish they would bring that system in to UK airports. It would be nice to see British citizens being put in front of everyone on planet earth at immigration unlike today!

Level bust
30th Mar 2012, 12:19
It would be nice if UK had as many desks open at Heathrow as they did at Washington, for all groups of travellers!

Monday morning 0700, inbound rush, 4 desks open for EU passport holders. There were more desks closed than open!

esa-aardvark
30th Mar 2012, 18:44
A few years ago I entered the USA at Atlanta. At the time I
had a G2 visa, but still had to stand in line as US citizens went
ahead. Should a country favour it's own citizens ? UK plc
certainly doesn't.

sherburn2LA
31st Mar 2012, 04:33
I have crossed the pond coming up on 100 times my experience is entirely the opposite, At various places ORD, DFW, LAX most commonly I have waited up to an hour as a GC holder and longer than that as a visitor / visa holder although about 10 minutes is more typical provided I barge most of the people on my flight out of the way between deplaning and the desks.

Coming into the UK divided pretty evenly between MAN and LHR mostly T3 I don't ever recall waiting even 5 minutes and my observations of the visitors lines is that they are considerably better than in the US.

ExXB
31st Mar 2012, 09:09
As a Member State of the European Union the UK extends to nationals of the EU, EEA and CH the same courtesy as uk nationals. However we commonwealth nationals ( and other ex colonials ) are dealt with in a separate queue. This despite not requiring a visa to enter the UK, being a legal resident of Switzerland and being a long suffering spouse of a UK national.

Its not always so bad, the last two times I beat my wife to the baggage carousel. :ok:

geeohgeegeeoh
2nd Apr 2012, 04:58
Its random. I've been prioritized, de-prioritized, queued, booted forward, glared at for standing in the wrong line (the slow one) and smiled at and invited to bring my wife with me.

all as a UK passport holder, flying J.

"it just depends"

L'aviateur
3rd Apr 2012, 14:41
In recent years I've found the US immigration to have improved massively and to be generally very helpful and friendly, queues are rarely that long. Seems to the baggage queues in places like Miami are longer.

Although my best experiences of US Immigration are when arriving on private yachts and having them come down and complete the formalities over a coffee.

The only problems I've ever had are entering on a C1-D, entering on B1/B2 and VWP have always been friendly and efficient.

glad rag
3rd Apr 2012, 22:02
I wish they would bring that system in to UK airports. It would be nice to see British citizens being put in front of everyone on planet earth at immigration (http://www.pprune.org/#) unlike today!

Edinburgh flugplatz midnight last friday, LOADS of people coming from Amsterdam wondering why they were queuing for 15 mins to get into their own effing country whilst those "with non EU passports" were rocking up and blasting through with no wait.

Oh hang on it's our gubberment wanting to take care of it's precious citizens "innit":(

Funnily enough @ the outbound dest @ the start of the week the rather well tooled up and imposing locals gave not a jot to those from AMS........ :E

RevMan2
4th Apr 2012, 10:36
I always find it most curious that (especially in LAX) the walking/talking signposts stand around yelling "US citizens Line 3" and look baffled when asked where the rest of us should be headed, mostly answering by waving their arms in the vague direction of somewhere else.
I've only had one minor run-in there when someone as tall as me (but of significantly greater mass and width) decided to hold the ONLY non-US Resident line and shunt passengers from the FIVE US - Resident lines in front of us.
After 2 minutes, I challenged this marginalisation, only to end up with a nose about 5cm from mine and a glare which indicated that it wasn't a wise move.

Got the line moving, though, and even garnered some scattered applause from the back of our line.

But I do hate it when they ask you the same questions as on the customs form over and over again. Do they SERIOUSLY think that you're going to give a different answer?
And they get VERY annoyed when you say "Yes, exactly as I've declared with my signature on your form"...