PDA

View Full Version : IR validity period

Talking Point
28th Mar 2012, 19:06
Just wondering (and yes I have search unsuccessfully) how long an IR is valid for? I know we have to sit the renewal exam annually, but how many years can you go before having to sit the course again. 3 years come to mind.

Many thanks,

212man
29th Mar 2012, 01:25
I have search unsuccessfully

I take it you've heard of LASORS?

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/srg_lts_LASORS2010_Section%20E.pdf

paco
29th Mar 2012, 02:12
5 years after the date of last expiry.

Phil

Brilliant Stuff
29th Mar 2012, 11:07
In my case the CAA decided to overule Lasors :confused::confused:

212man
29th Mar 2012, 11:46
Did they explain what their logic was?

One minor point for the OP - the annual check is a 'revalidation' not a 'renewal.'. A 'renewal' is what you do if you don't get the rating revalidated within its validity period.

902Jon
29th Mar 2012, 14:59
To paraphrase LASORS:-

Less than 5 years since the expiry of IR = Training as req'd + Proficiency check with approved examiner.

Between 5 and 7 years since the expiry of IR = Training as required + Flight Check with CAA Flight Staff Examiner (Single Pilot Aircraft) or (multi-pilot aircraft) pass a type rating skill test with or observed by a UK CAA Flight Operations Training Inspector.

Over 7 years since expiry of IR = As above + Applicants will also be required to re-take the IR(H) theoretical knowledge examinations. Applicants will be required to complete theoretical knowledge instruction through an approved training provider, the amount of instruction will be at the discretion of the Head of Training.

i.e Don't let it go so long that you have to do all the exams again! :uhoh:

If you have been exercising the privileges of a fixed wing IR, this does change things again. As my friend, a CAA FOI tells me, LASORS are not law, but for guidance only.

Brilliant Stuff
31st Mar 2012, 09:52
Because they are the CAA......Who knows?? Bond sorted me out and I have a few grey hairs now.