PDA

View Full Version : Use ASIC for upgrade?

DarkSarcasm503
28th Mar 2012, 10:53
I've heard rumours that flashing your ASIC at check in on a commercial flight might get you an upgrade of some sort.

I'm a PPL (so not employed by an airline if that makes any difference to the answer) who's planning to go overseas in a few weeks. Is it worth shoving my ASIC in my handbag and pulling it out at check in (and then putting it away again, I'm not planning to wear it around the airport)? Or is this all just a rumour?

baswell
28th Mar 2012, 11:03
Always wear your ASIC when in an airport. You never know where it may lead... :)

(just food and beverage discounts for me so far)

DarkSarcasm503
28th Mar 2012, 11:07
I figured I'd pull it out if I was buying food and stuff but not planning on wearing it as I'm just walking around with my wheely suitcase, seems a bit too much like "Hey look, I fly aeroplanes when I'm not wandering around YMML looking grumpy" :}

baswell
28th Mar 2012, 11:22
Nah, the only people that know what it is are the ones that work there and use theirs for the same purpose on their own travels. :D

TOUCH-AND-GO
28th Mar 2012, 11:24
(just food and beverage discounts for me so far)

You wouldn't get much of a discount anyway with the prices at the airport.."bottle of coke please, that's $4.50 sir *flashes ASIC* oh sorry that's $4.20 sir" :}

Like baswell said "You never know where it may lead...", I got into a Jetstar A330 cockpit :)

Plow King
28th Mar 2012, 12:04
Is it worth shoving my ASIC in my handbag and pulling it out at check in

Seems to work for Alan Joyce...........

VH-XXX
28th Mar 2012, 12:50
Who on earth would give you an upgrade for "flashing" your ASIC?

I really don't think the person on the check-in counter of Virgin Blue would give a toss that you fly a 1964 Cessna 150 on your weekends.

If you are lucky you might get a discount on your coffee and waive the foreign currency fee at Travelex.

These days at Qantas, you are unlikely to even see a check-in worker. I flew tonight and there were none to be seen, I actually had to get a ticket to get in line to see one (but didn't need to in the end).

xxRED BARONxx
28th Mar 2012, 13:01
My mate was wearing his ASIC around at melbourne international when he was approached by two airport security officers and asked why he was wearing it.. he said because he wanted to get a discount in the duty free shop and they told him they'd "let it go" but to take it off immediately because it looks suspicious. Mind you my mate is an arab... not implying anything :oh:

peterc005
28th Mar 2012, 13:46
I've had an upgrade on Qantas International after using my ASIC as ID on check-in.

VH-XXX
28th Mar 2012, 14:25
Upgrade to what?

Business class?

They gave you a $6k airfare because you showed your ASIC card?

It's not going to work on Domestic as you don't see anyone at check-in any more.

Worrals in the wilds
28th Mar 2012, 14:52
Give it a go, but don't expect miracles. Upgrades aren't nearly as common as they once were. :sad: There are a lot of ASICs around, too. Whichever airport you are flying out of will have several thousand on issue.
You have a reasonable chance of scoring discount coffee, though I've noticed that the local pirate port f&b staff now ask non uniformed, ASIC wearing people if they're actually on duty, which suggests that they're onto this particular racket. :hmm:

Fieldmouse
28th Mar 2012, 20:28
There is a real groundswell around the airports to face down OTS over ASICs and get rid of the damn things. Unpoliceable, unenforceable, meaningless, pointless, expensive and a lot of other adjectives.

zappalin
28th Mar 2012, 22:01
I got the fee for currency exchange waived with mine, also was able to stick around and have a chat with the blokes in the cockpit after other passengers had disembarked.

...Then got grilled hardcore by security as to what I was doing there and was seemingly lucky to get off without a fine. Don't get too flashy with it.

rioncentu
28th Mar 2012, 23:19
Every pimple-faced 16 years old behind the counter at Maccas at the aiport wears one.

I am not sure how it is of any benefit to anyone based on that.:ugh::ugh:

baswell
28th Mar 2012, 23:30
Who on earth would give you an upgrade for "flashing" your ASIC?
Few, if any, check in staff would have the authority to just give someone an upgrade for no good reason.

Except if there is an operational reason, i.e.: economy is over booked and they need to move some people up. Of course, they will choose the more deserving people, like those with a high status, young women traveling solo or with female friends only (seriously, it is the best way to get an upgrade) and those in the industry.

So it would not surprise me if you increase your chances of an operational upgrade by casually wearing your ASIC. (Don't rub it in or act like you are entitled to it.)

Atlas Shrugged
28th Mar 2012, 23:37
I've heard rumours that flashing your ASIC at check in on a commercial flight might get you an upgrade of some sort.

Flashing your tits would probably work a lot better!

coarsepitch
28th Mar 2012, 23:39
Have been upgraded domestic once previously however as Baswell said, assumedly there was already an operational reason such as overbooking and the ASIC only 'helped'. This was also in the days when there were actual check-in staff rather than an LCD monitor to talk to.

peterc005
28th Mar 2012, 23:56
The upgrade I received was a few years ago, but I can't remember if it was to New York or Los Angeles.

Got bumped from Economy to Business. I've flown a lot over the years and had a few free upgrades with various airlines.

I think it helps if you are well dressed and pleasant. Timing seems to be the thing, not too early, not too late. Guess they were full in economy and looking for people to upgrade.

There are different types of ASIC and AVID cards. Retail staff at airports seem to have different types.

Pilot ASIC cards are different because they include your ARN.

Wish they'd make the stupid things five or ten years, not two years.

Also got a 30% discount on my Seringetti sunglasses at the sunglasses shop at DFO Moorabbin when they I was wearing an ASIC (pilot discount).

rmcdonal
29th Mar 2012, 00:03
You don't need a ASIC to get a look at the flight deck of an airliner, all you have to do is ask. Most pilots would be happy (time permitting) to show you the flight deck after landing at your destination.
I doubt it would help much in getting you an upgrade, check in would have a list of people on each flight they would like to upgrade (frequent flyers, government employees, company reps).
As for wearing it around the airport :rolleyes: Keep it in your bag and pull it out at the duty free for a discount, other than that its of no use.

Keg
29th Mar 2012, 01:01
I've never heard of them being used for an upgrade before. More likely you'll be laughed at. People pull a lot of stunts to try and get an upgrade and an ASIC is probably a pretty lame one.

However, I've used mine (that said, it's got a big QANTAS across the bottom) to get exit rows on both Jetstar and Virgin when I've been forced to fly them. A police badge would probably work just as well too. :}

grrowler
29th Mar 2012, 01:22
Could be wrong, but I was of the understanding it is illegal to display your asic unless you are on duty and it is required for your duty. If it isn't illegal, poncing around the airport with your asic swinging from your neck trying to get 2 bucks off your coffee certainly should be!

Monopole
29th Mar 2012, 01:33
There are different types of ASIC and AVID cards. Retail staff at airports seem to have different types.

Pilot ASIC cards are different because they include your ARN.
. There are 2 types/colours. The grey coloured ASIC is for landside only. The Red ASIC is for Airside. Pilots would have the red card. They are not "different". It is the same card with the same authority as OPs staff, refuelers, engineers and anyone else with a VALID reason to be airside. Retail staff would not have a valid reason to be airside and would be issued with the grey cards.

I have never been upgraded when checking in and using my ASIC as ID. I have been upgraded a few time when self checking in (and once got bumped up to the jumpseat of a 76. It was not as fun as it sounds).

and yes, grrowler, is correct. It is actually illegal to use your ASIC for a purpose other then what its intended to be used for. If you happen to be wearing one in uniform at the airport while on duty and the nice lady at Dome gives you a discount, then thats your fortune.

puff
29th Mar 2012, 01:35
As far as I am aware you are only allowed to wear it when you have a 'legal' reason to be in that area for the requirement to have an ASIC. IE you don't have to wear one in the terminal if your not operational crew, so you don't need it. To get the discount in the terminal simply show it out of your pocket before ordering, I would not be wearing it around in customs controlled areas without a valid reason! Duty free in BN at least has a 10% discount for the ASIC, but gives 20% if 'operational crew', used to give the latter to everyone but obviously was impacting too much when everyone with an ASIC was using it!

The airlines consider them 'valid' ID in terms of identification, so certainly does not hurt in showing it to ID yourself for checkin, and may help with getting an emerg exit. Keg esp if you were in uniform, Virgin does seem to like to put especially Cabin and Tech Crew in emergency exits, simply for the basis of their EP training and backgrounds, which makes sense from a safety perspective.

porch monkey
29th Mar 2012, 03:40
The reason they give the cabin and tech crew the exit rows isn't because they're being nice. It's their lame way of "looking after" you for fatigue, as you will usually be operating the next sector. And rest assured, if the flight is full, and the paying customers have all booked and paid for blue zone seats, then the crew miss out.

ozbiggles
29th Mar 2012, 04:46
Hmmmmm
I get annoyed when I have to do written test for ASICs.
Looking at some of the comments here shows a few people might need to re sit those exams before they lose their ASICs and probably their jobs.

Keg
29th Mar 2012, 04:51
Porch, Puff, there's no way I'm travelling DJ or J* in uniform. It certainly wasn't duty travel. It was 'leisure' travel (of sorts) and I specifically asked for the exit row on the basis that it makes sense to have someone there who has half a clue as opposed to a half tanked began with no idea.

Worrals in the wilds
29th Mar 2012, 05:57
I know a few nurses and ambos who often get exit row seats on request for the same reason.

VH-XXX
29th Mar 2012, 07:41
I used my ASIC 10 minutes ago on checkin at Jetstar Hobart and instead of golden service I got a golden shower. Too early for check-in and was told that the Qantas club now closes in Hobart at 5pm or when the last QANTAS flight leaves. Sucked in when I read in the conditions that I can use the Qantas club when flying on Jetstar, after all I booked through the Qantas website. To add to that rant, last night I flew on Qantas specifically because they were serving dinner on the 7:55 pm flight, we were then 50 minutes late and they served a stale sandwich for "supper." LAME Qantas and I'm not talking about your mechanics. :mad:

On the positive side I just got a discount of $1.34 on my Chicken Parma burger and 5 fruits Goulburn Valley juice totalling $12.06 from 1848 Espresso Bar Hobart Airport, thanks guys :ok:

porch monkey
30th Mar 2012, 00:27
My point wasn't about what people got when they are out of uniform. It was adressing the post that surmised VA crew "got looked after". Generally, the only way you'd know they were crew is that they would be in uniform. So I can see where the assumption comes from. Simply correcting a misconception, nothing more.

P.S Have to say Keg, you used "makes sense", and aviation in the same post. I have to ask, how long have you been flying? :ooh: (It's a rhetorical question mate, I know the answer!)

Pass-A-Frozzo
31st Mar 2012, 07:06
I used my ASIC 10 minutes ago on checkin at Jetstar Hobart and instead of golden service I got a golden shower. Too early for check-in and was told that the Qantas club now closes in Hobart at 5pm or when the last QANTAS flight leaves. Sucked in when I read in the conditions that I can use the Qantas club when flying on Jetstar, after all I booked through the Qantas website. To add to that rant, last night I flew on Qantas specifically because they were serving dinner on the 7:55 pm flight, we were then 50 minutes late and they served a stale sandwich for "supper." LAME Qantas and I'm not talking about your mechanics. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/censored.gif

On the positive side I just got a discount of $1.34 on my Chicken Parma burger and 5 fruits Goulburn Valley juice totalling $12.06 from 1848 Espresso Bar Hobart Airport, thanks guys :ok:

So you payed Jetstar and you're pissed off that QF didn't provide a full lounge service. Perhaps we need to rewind back several years and review the threads about Jetstar offloading costs to QF?? :ok:

porch monkey
31st Mar 2012, 07:55
Yeah, that's gold right there really........:ugh:

Pass-A-Frozzo
31st Mar 2012, 07:57
I'm all for freedom of choice, Porch. But if you want QF Lounge, book QANTAS. You know the deal.

Must say that QF need to more clearly 'announce' when they are feeding people dinner.

As I see it now, they don't serve anyone dinner unless in Business

They serve some random combination of Carrot and egg between small slices of bread, and call it dinner. Wonder if the head of catering eats that for dinner when he gets home :E

If QF serve that, that's fine - but don't call it dinner. Call it a 'snack' at best

MakeItHappenCaptain
31st Mar 2012, 08:29
Jetstar, peanuts, monkeys.....:cool:
Not referring to non-cadet flight crew either.

porch monkey
31st Mar 2012, 09:33
Sorry PAF, I was referring to the paid for jetcrap expected QF lounge comment. Wasn't having a dig at your observation......

VH-XXX
31st Mar 2012, 10:26
As a Jetstar customer you are entitled to use the lounge. I booked a Qantas flight through the Qantas website which was on a Jetstar aircraft and some $70 more for the same flight.

Hobart specifically now closes their lounge at 5pm, presumably as a cost-cutting measure.

What also happened recently was my Qantas flight was cancelled and intended up on a Jetstar flight that cost half as much, but alas the lounge was open late in Devonport.

It's all in the terms and conditions. Interestingly Qantas mainline only fly to Honolulu once a week, however they still open the lounge for the more regular Jetstar flights.

They still serve a hot dinner in economy particularly on city-flyer flights. The flight was levelled with 'dinner' but they served 'supper' plus they charged for alcohol. I've never had a cold sandwich before, but then again this wasn't a city-flyer flight.

Di_Vosh
31st Mar 2012, 12:52
What also happened recently was my Qantas flight was cancelled and intended up on a Jetstar flight that cost half as much, but alas the lounge was open late in Devonport.

Maybe it's the late night, but could you explain that one a bit further please XXX?

J* don't fly into DPO; only Qlink (I've got no idea when the regional lounge is open at DPO)

DIVOSH!

VH-XXX
31st Mar 2012, 22:20
Good spot there sorry Divosh, it was Launceston. The regionals are all starting to look the same!

Launny has a nice little lounge with swipe card access. Nicely stocked fridge and a big TV and wireless Internet - all you need really.

Di_Vosh
31st Mar 2012, 22:58
:ok:

kaz3g
1st Apr 2012, 12:25
I had mine attached to my handbag ans security told me to put it away. it fell out again as I was boarding QF for an interstate flight and I got a business class upgrade... Ya just Neva know

Kaz

VH-XXX
1st Apr 2012, 12:55
So let me get this straight, we have a bunch of female lawyers wanting to or flashing their ASIC cards trying to or successfully getting free upgrades?

I've tried flashing my ASIC a total of 6 times since this thread started and only got 10% off my sandwich. Go figure.

Are you sure it's your ASIC's that you are flashing?

YPJT
1st Apr 2012, 20:42
Could be wrong, but I was of the understanding it is illegal to display your asic unless you are on duty and it is required for your dutyThere might be certain company policies prohibiting it but I'm not aware of any specific regulation prohibiting the wanky practice.

porch monkey
2nd Apr 2012, 00:04
I' starting to suspect not, XXX. However, if they are prepared to show and be judged, then we could make a worthwhile assessment, couldn't we.......:suspect:

YPJT
2nd Apr 2012, 00:46
And as I sit here in a FNQ Q club lounge, there is a tosser with his lanyard around his neck proudly displaying his ASIC. :ugh:

Worrals in the wilds
2nd Apr 2012, 01:13
Dearie, dearie me. :rolleyes:
I think you're right about the regs, although the Customs restricted areas at international airports are a grey issue.
As long as you're not in a restricted airside area such as the apron or baggage makeup I don't think the wearing of an ASIC constututes a breach. IIRC it's only if you're using it to go somewhere you aren't authorised to be.

It's definitely very uncool though. :}

VH-XXX
2nd Apr 2012, 01:58
And as I sit here in a FNQ Q club lounge, there is a tosser with his lanyard around his neck proudly displaying his ASIC. :ugh:

Maybe it fell out of his man-bag like the previous posters ASIC ?

Worrals in the wilds
2nd Apr 2012, 06:48
39YUXIKrOFk
Photoshop in an ASIC or two and there we have it...:E

aditya104
2nd Apr 2012, 07:17
The ASIC or VIC is issued for the use of the individual named on the card and only whilst on duty.

An ASIC or other approved ID does not permit you to enter the Customs Controlled Areas at your leisure. There are
penalties under the Customs Act 1901 for those who offend. Failure to comply with the conditions of entry means
you could be investigated, prosecuted and fined. You could also lose your ASIC and/or access privileges and your
right to work at the airport.

This information can be found in Airport Security Awareness Guide (http://www.sydneyairport.com.au/corporate/service-directory/~/media/Files/Corporate/Service%20Directory/ID%20and%20Access%20Security/SecurityAwarenessGuideV3.pdf)

Worrals in the wilds
2nd Apr 2012, 08:20
Define 'use'.
Not a trick question.

Arguably, 'use' means to use it to gain access to an area that you would otherwise be prohibited from entering, such as the apron or baggage makeup area.

The other argument is that 'use' also includes wearing the thing around your neck, even in an area such as an unrestricted domestic departure lounge where there is no actual advantage to doing so. Again arguably, that's not 'using' it, as you are not exercising your ASIC privileges by displaying the card. You're not getting anything or going anywhere you wouldn't without it. What's the unlawful intent?

Defrauding the airport coffee shop is more of a community service :}, and many airport businesses such as Travelex have a relaxed approach to 'staff' discounts even if you tell them you're not actually working. If the 'only on duty clause' was applied to the letter, everyone could be busted for wearing them while on the way home in uniform, and dashing into the shops. That's not happening.

Either way, unless the shiny, happy people at OTS have recently changed their views, it hasn't been on their radar as a serious issue. While Customs are good at breathing fire and brimstone, have they actually charged anyone with this offence as a standalone? Also not a trick question. I'd be interested if anyone knows of a case, and even if none exists I certainly wouldn't push them on the issue.

P.S. I still think it's pooncey, a bit like getting dressed up in a pilot's uniform to go to the shops the day after you pass GFPT. :hmm:

YPJT
2nd Apr 2012, 09:11
VH-XXX,
Maybe flashed it to get into the lounge. I can't believe they'd fall for that though.

P.S. I still think it's pooncey, a bit like getting dressed up in a pilot's uniform to go to the shops the day after you pass GFPT So Warrals, you've been to the local shops near Jandakot then?:}

Shagpile
2nd Apr 2012, 09:27
Got $4 off a thai green curry at YSSY last week :)

Kharon
2nd Apr 2012, 09:41
Shagpile - Got $4 off a thai green curry at YSSY last week http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/smile.gif

True value correctly defined. :D

T28D
2nd Apr 2012, 12:31
How can a Green Curry be worth more than $4 ??????????

jas24zzk
2nd Apr 2012, 12:35
I was thinking similar...maybe they gave him a dollar to eat it:eek:

LeadSled
2nd Apr 2012, 15:21
This information can be found in Airport Security Awareness Guide (http://www.sydneyairport.com.au/corporate/service-directory/%7E/media/Files/Corporate/Service%20Directory/ID%20and%20Access%20Security/SecurityAwarenessGuideV3.pdf)

aditya104,
That's the SACL booklet, nothing to do with the security regulations, and really quite misleading.
If you happen to have an ASIC card, it's good for the staff prices, instead of the extortionate retail prices the mug punters are forced to pay at most big airports.
At Sydney, $2.00 for a mug of coffee beats the hell out of $5.50 and more.
Tootle pip!!

aditya104
2nd Apr 2012, 18:57
AFAIK one can't use the ASIC privilege of accessing secure areas of the airport when not on duty. While granting the card, the Airport Authority wouldn't mention the retail shop discounts as a privilege.

Worrals in the wilds
2nd Apr 2012, 21:46
AFAIK one can't use the ASIC privilege of accessing secure areas of the airport when not on duty. Correct. While it's drifted a bit from the OP's question, my understanding is that we are talking about people who wear their GA issued ASIC while wandering around non secure public terminal areas in the mistaken belief that it makes them look more important.
It does happen...:hmm:
I can understand digging one out for a coffee/retail discount, that's by grace and favour of the retailer.