PDA

View Full Version : SQ A380 Engine failure

bakutteh
28th Mar 2012, 07:09
Singapore Airlines jumbo suffers engine failure

March 28, 2012, 10:15 amYahoo! New Zealand
A surge in one of Singapore Airlines' A380 engines forced the flight crew to shut it down and return to Singapore, the carrier has said.

http://l.yimg.com/ea/img/-/120328/singaporeaira380getty257_17n4ift-17n4ig0.jpg?x=120&sig=jcLQQGwkidSgpxUMs5QKww-- (http://l.yimg.com/ea/img/-/120328/singaporeaira380getty257_17n4ift-17n4ig0.jpg)

A surge in one of Singapore Airlines' A380 engines forced the flight crew to shut it down and return to Singapore, the carrier has said.
The superjumbo was flying 430 passengers to Frankfurt, Germany when the incident occurred.
According to AP, the pilots shut down the engine and turned back to Singapore, where the aircraft landed safely with the remaining three engines.
"The aircraft is capable of flying safely on three engines and at no time was the safety of our customers and crew compromised," Singapore Airlines said in a statement.
The airline and engine-maker Rolls-Royce will investigate the cause.
The A380 has been plagued with a number of different problems since the aircraft took to the skies.
The European Aviation Safety Agency ordered airlines to inspect nearly a third of the world's A380 fleet earlier this year after Airbus found cracks in the metal brackets in the wings.

I surely hope the A380 doesn't suffer from engine problems like the L1011 owing to the choice of Rolls Royce as the main powerplant supplier.

GANNET FAN
28th Mar 2012, 08:02
I think that implication is pretty close to libellous.

bvcu
28th Mar 2012, 09:44
And of course the other engine type on this a/c has never had a problem.......
Also to put into context how many unreported shutdowns/failures are there that never make the media ???

Basil
28th Mar 2012, 10:15
Never had a failure on an RB-211. My one inflight shutdown was due to borescope plug being left out.

Flightmech
28th Mar 2012, 10:28
I surely hope the A380 doesn't suffer from engine problems like the L1011 owing to the choice of Rolls Royce as the main powerplant supplier.

Incoming!..............................

Akali Dal
28th Mar 2012, 20:33
Wow, when an Oriental made such an observation the incoming missiles and ICBMs alluding to libel makes me wonder...hmmmmmm.

The QF A380 at Batam was a precursor to a few. The L1011 tail engine was initially a big hiccup to the TriStar's ability to challenge the DC-10 and B747 in its early debut. 411A will certainly attest to it if he had not flown west.

EW73
29th Mar 2012, 02:29
Basil........A borescope plug being left out!....but those items are on the independent inspectors list of things to sign off....how did that happen?

Having said that, I know it does, because exactly the same happened to me in a B747-200 out of Lagos heading for JFK, and let me assure you, we didn't really want to turn around and go back, but after a fire warning and shutdown, there was no option.

Still, it never ceases to amaze me how it can happen...

Cheers

Avionker
29th Mar 2012, 07:31
A borescope plug being left out!....but those items are on the independent inspectors list of things to sign off....how did that happen?

Still, it never ceases to amaze me how it can happen...

In much the same way as pilots can land with gear up, or attempt to take off with incorrect flap settings etc. Procedures and checks not correctly followed, or the procedures themselves are flawed.

Unfortunately we humans are fallible, whether we are 'on the tools' or 'driving' the aeroplane.

pwalhx
29th Mar 2012, 13:30
Nowhere in the responses has anyone aluded to the ethicity of the opening poster, in fact because he is in the orient does not indicate he is oriental.
The fact is at least his remarks where contentious to say the least and suggested a less than open minded viewpoint.

jamesferns
29th Mar 2012, 13:35
TBH the content tells all you need to know about the poster ,where he comes from or what his racial origin is matters little, fcukwits exist in all races and creeds sadly

Peter47
30th Mar 2012, 19:11
Bakkuteh

I'd be careful drawing comparisons with the L1011 & the RB211. Yes the RB211 bankrupted Rolls Royce, and for a while Lockheed were selling gliders. I think that RR were rather optimistic with their research and their plans for carbon fibre blades were ahead of their time. (Parrallels with today?) However the RB211 product delivered to the airlines was a good one and well regarded. Many, many products have teething problems.