PDA

View Full Version : Looks Like another Airfield closing to GA!

BWBI
27th Mar 2012, 22:32
Devonair are in the process of closing down their operation at Little Rissington in the Cotswolds ( Formerly RAF but now MOD )

The Devon Dove spares are going to be stored on a Farm for the time being.

The GA aircraft based there are all moving out and a few Gyrocopters and perhaps a small number of microlite aircraft belonging to Retired RAF Personnel will remain or be kept there in the future.

The Airfield will continue to be used by the VGS at weekends and certain weekdays ( normally school holiday times ) and also by the military for their activities, but it looks like the end of the road for GA certainly for the time being.

The Hangar is superb and likewise the the three runways so it is to be hoped that GA can eventually find it's way back there.

So all in all a very sad day.

However if flying in the vicinity be aware of the possibility of VGS or military aircraft using the Airfield and Brize is your'e friend in this respect.

peterh337
28th Mar 2012, 07:21
What I don't get in cases such as these is why a number of wealthy aircraft owners don't get together and buy the place, or something similar.

Blink182
28th Mar 2012, 10:00
What really saddens me , is the fact as Taxpayers we have already bought and paid for these facilities:(

HighTow
28th Mar 2012, 10:49
I feel ignorant - I never knew they was any flying still at Rissy. I'd become convinced that they'd ceased flying all together there years ago.

Whopity
28th Mar 2012, 15:21
Is it not a case that one company has ceased to rent the facilities and another could equally well take its place?

BWBI
29th Mar 2012, 12:14
From what I can gather a Retired RAF Officer is keen to take it on but only to house a small number of Gyrocopters and perhaps a few microlites all owned by Retired ex or current military staff.

That would make some sense as to the MOD way of thinking due to the Airfield still being used for some Military Training Operations.

So it dosn't sound good news for your'e average GA Pilot hence the reason I guess why they have all moved out or more likely told to go!

From what I can remember nearby Brize Norton offered a similar limited number of hangerage opportunities to EX Military Staff but I may have got that wrong?

Whopity
29th Mar 2012, 16:40
Even current military personnel were kicked out of the Brize hangars some years ago.