PDA

View Full Version : Flight simulator physics for MD-902

nlittley
27th Mar 2012, 15:34
Hello there,

I originally posted this in a topic from last year, but I realise dragging up old topics sometimes doesn't work out so here goes...

For some people (myself included) flying a real helicopter is likely to remain a dream due to certain personal income limitations, so we find ourselves in the simulated world.

Basically, there is a chap called Fred Naar who has written a piece of software which tries to make the flight behaviour of helicopters much more realistic in Microsoft's Flight Sim. It runs outside the main programme and uses real physics to calculate flight dynamics, as FSX is pretty rubbish at it apparently. He has built NOTAR support into his program but he needs some real pilot input as to how it behaves. So could a real 902 pilot please comment (and perhaps offer to test?) to see how realistic Fred has managed to be. There are numerous pilots commenting about other helis over at hovercontrol.com which I is mentioned every so often on this forum, and the word is that Fred is pretty spot on overall, but it's specifically the NOTAR behaviour that I am interested in as I like flying the MD-902. I've been trying to tweak it but I've no idea if I'm doing it right.

Current main query is - how much lift influence does the NOTAR system have? As it is, the simulated dynamics require fairly heavy rearward cyclic to maintain a level attitude at hover and take off. Fred has modelled it so that there is a thrust component from the NOTAR which generates lift and so tips the helicopter forwards. Is this accurate? Also, do I understand correctly that the coanda effect is supposed to minimise/eliminate the need for anti-torque on initial lift off if there is no wind?

To Aubrey (who created a model for a different sim last year) if you are still around, how does your model feel in x-plane? I understand x-plane doesn't have NOTAR support - did you find a work around?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Nathan