PDA

View Full Version : Abu Dhabi and RNAV

rennaps
27th Mar 2012, 07:48
Can most of the aircraft that fly into Abu Dhabi have the capability to fly RNP 1, not just RNAV 1?

Also can they fly RF legs?

Some help with these questions would be appreciated

Ben_Al_Katre
28th Mar 2012, 04:51
The aircraft requirements for RNAV 1 and 2 are identical, while some operating procedures are different. The RNAV 1 and 2 navigation specification is applicable to all ATS routes, including routes in the en‐route domain, standard instrument departures (SIDs), and standard arrival routes (STARS). It also applies to instrument approach procedures up to the final approach fix.

The RNAV 1 and 2 navigation specification is primarily developed for RNAV operations in a radar environment (for SIDs, radar coverage is expected prior to the first RNAV course change). The Basic‐ RNP 1 navigation specification is intended for similar operations outside radar coverage. However, RNAV 1 and RNAV 2 may be used in a non‐radar environment or below Minimum Vectoring Altitude (MVA) if the implementing state ensures appropriate system safety and accounts for lack of performance monitoring and alerting.

For RNAV 1 and RNAV 2, the following navigation criteria are defined: GNSS, DME/DME and DME/DME/IRU. Where DME is the only navigation service used for position updates, gaps in DME coverage can prevent position update. Integration of inertial reference units (IRUs) can permit extended gaps in coverage.

RNAV 1 and RNAV 2 routes are envisioned to be conducted in direct controller‐pilot communication environments.

hope yo will find this information useful.

greetings

rennaps
28th Mar 2012, 10:01
I know all that Ben

But it doesn't answer my questions which were Abu Dhabi specific

Ben_Al_Katre
29th Mar 2012, 05:59
hello renaps

The RNAV / RNP designation depends mostly on the airspace designers' needs and on the navigation capabilities of the onboard NAV system (FMC). RNAV 5 is used in the Middle East (MID) and European (EUR) Regions; it is designated as B‐RNAV (Basic RNAV) in Europe for Continental en-route airspace concept. RNAV 5 operations are based on the use of RNAV equipment which automatically determines the aircraft position using input from one or a combination of the following types of position sensors: VOR/DME; DME/DME; INS or IRS; and GNSS. For RNAV 5, direct pilot to ATC (voice) communication is required. Radar monitoring by the ATS may be used to mitigate the risk of gross navigation errors.

Terminal airspace UAE: arrival and departure

In the UAE, the existing terminal airspace concept, which includes arrival and departure, is supported by RNAV 1 applications. The European terminal airspace RNAV application is known as P‐RNAV (Precision RNAV). Although the RNAV 1 specification shares common navigation accuracy with P‐RNAV, this regional navigation specification does not satisfy the full requirements of the RNAV 1. The pilot must be able to use RNAV equipment to follow flight guidance for lateral RNAV 1 no later than 153 m (500 ft) above the airport elevation. The altitude at which RNAV guidance begins on a given route may be higher (e.g. climb to 304 m (1,000 ft) then direct to .)

The UAE required Navigation Specification (RNAV / RNP) by Flight Phase is as follows:

RNAV 1 for arrival, initial, intermediate, missed approach and departure portion
of the flight.

RNP APCH 0.3 for the final aproach.

RNAV 5 is an en‐route navigation specification which may be used for the initial part of the STAR outside 30 NM and above MSA.

RF legs are waypoints connected by a constant radius course similar to a DME arc therefore, this directly depends on the FMC capability rather than a particular State or Aispace requirement.

Hope this time, I managed to answer your query. Greetings

rennaps
29th Mar 2012, 08:14
Ben I Know all that but that still doesn't answer my questions

I don't need to know what RNAV/RNP/P-RNAV/PBN/RF is. I know what these concepts are, probably better than any one.

What I am asking is:
I repeat

Can most of the aircraft that fly into Abu Dhabi have the capability to fly RNP 1, not just RNAV 1?

Also can they fly RF legs?

Ben_Al_Katre
29th Mar 2012, 09:44
Well, in that case I think you are asking the wrong question then, dear Rennaps.

I can only think now of two possible interpretations to your enigmatic query my friend:

If, by CAN, you meant if the airplanes know "how to" fly an RNAV / RNP, well, the answer is YES for as long as the NAV system is designed to make the respective updates based on GNSS, DME/DME etcetera or;

If by CAN you meant: is it authorized by ATC, well, in that case you CAN'T read, otherwise I don' know which part of (quoting myself): "The Basic‐ RNP 1 navigation specification is intended for similar operations outside radar coverage".

One of the requirements almost in every major airport in the world (class B or Class C airspace) is to have an operating or fully functional Transponder. I know you are very experienced so I assume there is no need to explain the inter-relation between xponders and ATC radars right?. As a corollary, I think you should change the term ( quote) "Just RNAV 1" since it is a lot more restrictive than RNP 1.

Last but not least, I would say YES to the question if an airplane CAN fly an RF fix to radius approach but, you would have to select it from your airplane data base and select a lateral mode such as LNAV or similar. I can assure you the airplane will master RF better than any pilot could do. just for the record, the plane can go to an as low as ANP of 0.01 ~ +/- 18 meters.

Warm regards my friend

rennaps
29th Mar 2012, 10:16
Let me rephrase the question

Do most of the carriers (airlines) flying into Abu Dhabi have the on-board equipment to enable them to fly RNP 1 and RF legs?

Oh and by the way RNP 1 is more restrictive than RNAV 1, equipment wise.

casablanca
29th Mar 2012, 17:23
I used to operate into Abu Dhabi quite often in the MD-11. We had a mixed fleet and some were GPS and some only INS aircraft..
They all were approved and capable of this although if I remember correctly the chart specifically required GNSS, which made us non-compliant in the non GNS aircraft.

djuggler
5th Apr 2012, 19:11
my answer is YES. but what's the point of your question?