PDA

View Full Version : Personal milestone

Genghis the Engineer
26th Mar 2012, 23:07
I'm sure that you chaps will appreciate the significance of this.

After an NST pass a week or so ago, my first "right through" student got a first time pass in his NPPL GST today.

It was an NPPL(M) --> NPPL(SSEA) upgrade appropriate to my CRI, and it's additional to some other instruction I'd done: conversions / tailwheel mostly. But it still feels like a significant milestone in my flying, and I'm really quite proud of it.

I'll arrange to talk to the examiner in the next couple of days for a debrief on how well trained he felt the student was - I'm sure that there are more learning points than the many I've received en-route so far, and I'm determined to get them and hopefully any future student will get the benefit of that.

But in the meantime: damn that felt good!

(Mind you, the student seemed pretty chuffed when he phoned and told me as well!)

G

Big Pistons Forever
27th Mar 2012, 00:21
Congratulations on the start of what I hope is a long and enjoyable ride in the right/rear seat ! I still get a big thrill when my students do well.

One thing to consider is a formal debrief from the student. I get a note pad and sit down with every student and ask them what part of the course they found difficult and which were easy as well as what they felt I could have done better (I always start with a point of my own self criticism to break the ice). There is no question in my mind that the feedback I have gotten over many years and many students has greatly improved my instructional skills.

I would also suggest you keep a lesson journal. After every flight write a paragraph about what went well and what needs improvement as well as what should be done next. If there is a gap between flights your notes will be a good reminder of what is needed to be done and for longer courses a continuous record will point out recurring skill issues.

Cows getting bigger
27th Mar 2012, 06:07
Well done. There will be other milestones that make you equally proud, one of mine being a chap who came back as an FI where I always felt that the high standards he delivered were partly due to the manner in which he was originally taught.

Ollie Onion
27th Mar 2012, 09:59
Well Done :ok::ok:

Aware
27th Mar 2012, 11:30
Well done nice feeling. A lot of my former students have progressed far beyond my abillties, which is also a good feeling when you started them off. Will not be long before some of them will be doing my renewals. Buts that whats being an instructor is all about, training and getting them moving on to the next hurdle, or getting them to stay current where they are, and improving skills, more of a manager than an instructor sometimes I feel, but never the less satisfying.

Duchess_Driver
27th Mar 2012, 14:05
G2

Well done fella.....:ok: