PDA

View Full Version : GAPAN Master 2012: Air Marshal Cliff Spink

Flying Lawyer
26th Mar 2012, 22:49
Air Marshal Clifford Spink CB CBE FRAeS has been elected Master of the Guild of Air Pilots and Air Navigators (http://www.gapan.org).

https://www.gapan.org/image/377/300/photograph.jpg

Cliff started his flying career on the Jet Provost at Cranwell followed by advanced flying training on the Gnat. After tactics/weapons training on the Hunter and Operational Conversion Training on the Lightning he was posted to 111(F) Sqn at RAF Wattisham flying the Mk3/5 Lightning. (Weekends were spent as CFI of the local Gliding Club).

Following a weapons instructor course he was reposted to Treble One before moving to 56(F) Sqn in Cyprus on the Mk 6 Lighting. It was during this period that the Turks invaded the island and 56 Sqn were heavily involved in the subsequent air operations. The squadron returned to Wattisham in 1975 and Cliff finally left the Lightning Force the following year, having amassed 1,300hours on the ‘most exhilarating rocket ship any young man could wish to fly’.

A ground tour followed, during which he reacquainted himself with the Chipmunk 'to stay sane.' In 1979 a refresher on JP5 followed by some Hunter FGA 9 weapons training preceded his introduction to the Phantom FGR2 at Coningsby. After a short course it was back to 111(F) Sqn now flying a mix of FGR2/FG1 Phantom at RAF Leuchars. Cliff was to be associated on and off with the F4 for the next 10 years and this included 2 ½ years as the Squadron Commander of 74(F) Sqn, ‘The Tigers’, flying the F4J (UK), and a year in the Falklands as Station Commander of Mount Pleasant Airfield.
Aside from flying the F4M in the South Atlantic, he also flew the Hercules and the Sea King helicopter.

Returning to the UK, he converted to the Tornado F3, before taking command of RAF Coningsby. A couple of weeks later he went to Saudi Arabia as the Tornado Detachment Commander at Dhahran for the duration of the Gulf War.

Back at Coningsby in April 91, he had his first trip in a BBMF Hurricane and in the next two years also flew the Spitfire II, V, XIX in addition to the Tornado. The end of 1992 was to see a drop in Cliff’s front line fighter flying, although he stayed qualified on Tornado, Hawk and Nimrod until he finished as a Group Commander in 1998.

Cliff continued to fly the Warbirds following his introduction to them on the BBMF. The majority of this flying has been done at Duxford and he regards himself as 'one of the luckiest and most privileged pilots’ to have flown a variety of famous and historic aircraft. These include: Spitfire II, V, IX, XI, XIV, XVI, XIX; Hurricane II, X; Bf109G; Buchon; Mustang; Sea Fury; Corsair; Thunderbolt; Kittyhawk; Wildcat; Polikarpov I-153; T-28 Trojan; Vampire, T33 Silver Star, F86A Sabre and Hunter.

iRaven
26th Mar 2012, 23:18
Not to mention "an ex Trenchard Brat" or Halton Apprentice...:ok:

ihoharv
26th Mar 2012, 23:21
My God, what a life!
Congratulations Sir.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
26th Mar 2012, 23:34
Hard to think of a leader I respect more. He certainly cut through the politics when he was Stn Cdr at Coningsby, and I have a lot to thank him for.
Congratulations, Sir!!

Halton Brat
27th Mar 2012, 06:56
Of course he was a Halton Apprentice......la creme de la creme........Air Commodore Sir Frank Whittle et al..........:ok:

HB

BOAC
27th Mar 2012, 06:59
A most worthy holder of the post. I too have the utmost respect for him, having first met him as a student at.the 'College of Knowledge' in the late 60's and the inevitable 'occasional meets' over the years. One of our finest.

Wander00
27th Mar 2012, 07:29
One womnders why no "K"? Seems to be well wothy of such recognition. Met him when he and I presented cheques from the RAF to the Dean of Ely for restoration of the 8 (Pathfinder) Gp Memorial in the Cathedral.

JEM60
27th Mar 2012, 08:05
A nicer gentleman would be hard to meet. Us motorway-end spectators at Duxford always appreciated him going out of his way to talk to us and answer our sometimes naive queries, which were invariably pleasantly answered. Congratulations from us.

oldmansquipper
27th Mar 2012, 08:06
Nice to see.

Cliff gave me a solo check ride out of Kingsfield, Dhekelia in the late 60s and he was considered (by the gliding pundits of the time) P.D.G even then.

Congratulations. :ok:

Courtney Mil
27th Mar 2012, 08:21
Excellent news. Very well deserved and my heartiest congratulations.

Courtney

SOSL
27th Mar 2012, 09:37
At Leuchars in 1976, a very junior Flying Officer, I was doing Station Duty Officer one Friday. Not a lot happened and I was looking forward to Saturday with my newly acquired fiancee.

Saturday morning arrived but the jockey from 111 Sqn who was supposed to take over from me didn't! By lunch time and still not handed over the duty I was quite irritated and couldn't contact fiancee to let her know what was happening (days before mobile phones).

By chance I spotted Cliff (then OC 111) coming out of the squash courts, all hot and sweaty. So I buttonholed him and explained the problem. Whereupon he said to me "right ..... I am now the SDO. Let me have the bag and you go and enjoy the rest of your Saturday".

Only a small gesture in the grand scheme of things but I remember it 36 years later.

A great guy!!

SOS

Yellow Sun
27th Mar 2012, 09:57
At Leuchars in 1976, a very junior Flying Officer, I was doing Station Duty Officer one Friday. Not a lot happened and I was looking forward to Saturday with my newly acquired fiancee......................By chance I spotted Cliff (then OC 111) coming out of the squash courts

That was some going as he had only been out of Cranwell 8 years by then.

YS

Wander00
27th Mar 2012, 11:11
Clearly much too nice a guy to claw his way to the usual 3 Star "K", or maybe someone thought he was having too much fun anyway. Well, done, and follows another Old Cranwellian (and iirc, also a Brat)

A2QFI
27th Mar 2012, 11:21
Very typical of the gentleman I would say. I have been on Stations where the Stn Cdr did Xmas Day SDO, if he was on base.

Dan Winterland
27th Mar 2012, 17:09
A thoroughly sound choice for master. A real Gentleman and a pilot's pilot!

newt
27th Mar 2012, 17:15
Well done Cliff!

A long time since our days on Tremblers and your still flying!!:D:D:D:D:D

P6 Driver
27th Mar 2012, 17:44
From what I have seen over the years, he retains an almost infectious enthusiasm for flying and keeps his feet (metaphorically, at least) on the ground, never coming across as big-headed.

The aviation community is richer for aviators of his kind.
:D

JEM60
27th Mar 2012, 17:52
He was most certainly enjoying back-seating in a Spitfire 9 two-seater at Duxford this afternoon, with, I think, Rats Ratcliffe in the driving seat. I gave him a round of applause and a thumbs up, and received his usual nice smile and a wave.

stiknruda
27th Mar 2012, 18:01
I spent yesterday with him as he renewed or approved Display Authortisations for a bunch of us.

Such a modest chap - a good day was had by all!

He was flying a gorgeous Cirrus SR22, too!

Stik

Bill Macgillivray
27th Mar 2012, 18:45
Sir, congratulations! A long time has passed since our days in the sun (and other places!). Happy days, all the best. Bill

Geehovah
27th Mar 2012, 18:45
Great news! A fine choice! Congratulations Cliff.

Green Flash
27th Mar 2012, 18:52
I had the pleasure of helping him push his slightly overheated Spit up the taxiway at Fairford about 3 years ago (well, once he had taken his hat off the control column and released the brakes ..... Sir! := ;) A Gentleman. Well done Sir.

ShyTorque
27th Mar 2012, 22:06
Agreed, a 'top choice' for the position of Master of GAPAN. From my own experience of meeting him he's a modest gentleman who actually has a great deal to shout about, but chooses not to. A pilot's pilot in all respects. :ok:

maxburner
28th Mar 2012, 06:46
Congratulations Sir! Well deserved. One of the nicest guys it's been my pleasure to work with and for.

Utrinque Apparatus
28th Mar 2012, 11:04
A true gent and a fine, inspirational and all too modest pilot. Well done Cliff (After the Saudi job, a Knighthood would be more in order ? :E)

Wander00
28th Mar 2012, 11:32
I can think of at least one other 3* who did the Saudi job, but no "K", well before there seemd to be some selectivity of which 3*s got the previously customary "K" and who did not.

Heliport
28th Mar 2012, 16:28
Wander00 follows another Old Cranwellian (and iirc, also a Brat) Quite a few Old Cranwellians have been Master, including some who went into civvy flying after the RAF.
Yes, Wally Epton was also a Brat.

Last 10 Masters -
2002 Duncan Simpson
2003 Michael Willett
2004 Capt Dick Felix
2005 Capt Peter Buggé
2006 Capt Jock Lowe
2007 Gp Capt Roger Gault
2008 Air Cdre Rick Peacock-Edwards
2009 R Adm Colin Cooke-Priest
2010 Michael Fopp
2011 Capt Wally Epton

soddim
28th Mar 2012, 18:06
Appropriate recognition for a master of his profession - well done!

Bill Macgillivray
28th Mar 2012, 20:31
I don't think that Jock Lowe was ex-Cranwell, or, indeed ex - Royal Air Force. That apart, he is a great character and pilot. (Got better since 1964!!):ok::ok: Bill.

engineer(retard)
29th Mar 2012, 15:02
A gentleman, who took the trouble to phone me and tell me I had been selected for my commissioning lobotomy. Very pleased for him :D

Union Jack
29th Mar 2012, 15:39
I don't think that Jock Lowe was ex-Cranwell, or, indeed ex - Royal Air Force.

Ditto Colin Cooke-Priest - the rank he achieved is a bit of a clue ....:=

Jack

dagama
29th Mar 2012, 20:09
Congratulations to a 104th Entry brat at Halton. Well deserved as has been mentioned eartlier. He gave a splendid Spit display in September 2011 at a Halton Re-union. The crowd was enthralled.

From a 106th Entry brat.

RodfjH
2nd Apr 2012, 11:21
Many congratulations from your old JP QFI

AARON O'DICKYDIDO
2nd Apr 2012, 15:36
Has anybody mentioned that he is an ex Halton brat ?

BOAC
2nd Apr 2012, 17:44
Many congratulations from your old JP QFI - aha! It IS you. I did send you a Private Message a while back. Mention of 'Wonderbeer'.................

gopher01
24th Apr 2012, 13:36
And one who would shout at me at Halton when he was the 104 Entry Sergeant Apprentice in charge of us as newbies in the 202nd Craft Apprentice Entry in Jan 65. I have followed his career with interest, especially since he started flying warbirds which probably peaked for a lot of people with the McGregor brothers programme on the Battle of Britain.

BA283
24th Apr 2012, 17:51
Halton?

Was that on Gliders?

:)

BEagle
24th Apr 2012, 18:05
Not only is Cliff the new Master (and thoroughly well deserved his election is too!), but the Master Elect who will take over from him next year is none other than the well-known Flying Lawyer!!

Congratulations to you, Tudor old chum! May I post that piccy from our ULAS Summer Camp at RAF Newton......;)

Incidentally, Cliff was really rather surprised and a little embarrassed by the kind comments he's received on PPRuNe - but thanks everyone who has been kind enough to have taken the time to post.

side salad
25th Apr 2012, 11:27
I don't often post here, but was delighted to see this, a true gent and aviation great.

Martin the Martian
26th Apr 2012, 08:11
Cliff Spink was also one of the finest Royal Observer Corps Commandants to ever hold the post. He fought the ROC's side well and truly during his tenure, though sadly it only took HMG a year to get rid of it after he had moved on.:(

Many congratulations from one of your former monitoring post Observers, sir.

spookcxi
17th Jun 2012, 22:40
I was a young flight line maniac on 111(F) Squadron for many years through the 70's and into the early 80's and had the great pleasure of working with this great man. Our paths diverted for many years and I was on the F4 engine test bed at Bruggen in the late 80's when we heard that the bed at 'Whatashame' was down due to their basic lack of understanding and habit of fixing the old HP1928 computer by pouring PX24 into it and shouting loudly, so yours truly was dispatched with a tiny impress and a wing and prayer to 'give them a hand'. Anyway after being dropped close to nowhere I was trudging along a lonely lane with kit bag slung at the port when a staff car purrs up and a cultured voice says, "Thought it was you Can I give you a lift?" Well blow me down fancy him remembering little old me after all those years. Good man and a well deserved plaudit from your fellow aviators. Well done Sir.

Can we still book time to talk about fighting the F4?

Spook

XV490
18th Jun 2012, 08:27
I knew a chap in the early 1990s with the surname Spink who said he had a high-ranking, younger relative in the RAF at the time.
This friend of mine had himself been a National Service Meteor pilot (as an APO) and told me of an occasion when he and another rookie Meteor pilot had to "put down on Flamborough Head" after miscalculating their fuel. He may, of course, have meant he landed at Carnaby, but the prospect that it was indeed the former still interests me.
Don't know if the good Air Marshal is on here, but if so, and he is indeed the relative my friend referred to, perhaps he'd be as good as to PM me to confirm.

OldHaltonian
21st Sep 2016, 12:38
I met Cliff on 4 Jan 1965, when he was the Leading Aircraft Apprentice (104th entry) in charge of my billet when I enlisted as a Craft Apprentice at RAF Halton, No1 S of TT. Cliff was a gentleman always and I have had the great pleasure over the years to stay in touch with him.

ACW342
21st Sep 2016, 18:18
Entry in my little green log book:
S. No. of Flt.:110 14/3/71 T21 238 Wattisham Aerotow P2 20mins Cliff Spinks

Well done Cliff.

McGinty

Wander00
21st Sep 2016, 18:38
Many year ago, about 1988 or 89 I was in Command Accounts at Brampton when the boss called me in and told me I was to be the RAFSC rep to hand over a cheque to the Dean Of Ely for the refurbishment of the 8(PFF) Group Memorial in the Cathedral. Turned out CS, then Staish at I think Wattisham was the Strike Command rep. Thought he was much too pleasant to be a staish, thoroughly nice guy and I have followed his career and his display flying with great interest. Still think he should have got a "K" though, not least for promoting the RAF to such great effect.
I got another bonus out of that, Mrs W and I were invited to the Maundy Service in Ely cathedral to represent the RAF, a very memorable day.

PS - heartbeat now back to normal - saw the heading and thought "not another good one gone". Glad to find that my initial reaction was unfounded

brokenlink
21st Sep 2016, 20:54
Several years ago at Duxford during the pre show Flight Line walks, one of my cadets was tapped on the shoulder by a gentleman in a flying suit. " Excuse me Sergeant would you give me a hand turning this Spitfire around?" said cadet duly obliged, as a thank you the gentleman put the cadet in the cockpit and spent the next 10 minutes explaining the controls etc. the cadet still had a grin on his face at the end of the show that evening! Given the previous post it will be of no surprise that the gentleman was Cliff Spink. Thank you sir.

Out Of Trim
22nd Sep 2016, 01:00
I've never met him in person, but served at RAF Wattisham as a Runway Controller in the Runway Caravan when he was OC 74 Sqn flying the F-4J (UK). He was well known on the Station as a great guy then. It seems that everyone he met had the the same opinion of him.

Certainly deserves a Knighthood in my opinion. What a great career!

1.3VStall
22nd Sep 2016, 07:52
Wander00 - that was my initial thought as well; thank God we were both mistaken!

Now looking forward to catching up with Cliff (and many others!) at the WIWOL bash on 6th October

Stitchbitch
22nd Sep 2016, 11:05
Any chance of amending the title with '...is NOT dead'. Cliff - Top bloke and true gent :ok: