PDA

View Full Version : (Willing/Able) Pilot Drought?

WannaBeBiggles
26th Mar 2012, 06:08
I just saw that Kakadu air are advertising AGAIN which strikes me a rather odd given it's heading towards the end of March and in years gone by there'd be pilots galore waiting their turn.

This got me to wondering, is it that there is a lack of pilots out there right now, or is it a matter of operators not finding suitable candidates, or is it the new pilots are less willing to head out bush for their break and are simply staying in the bigger cities?

I know a bunch of guys and girls that have just gotten their first gig this year and to be honest I cannot think of one person who's gone out west this year that is sans-job right now.

It'd be interesting to hear from some of the people around those major outback pilot "hubs" as to what the job scene is doing at the moment.

seneca208
26th Mar 2012, 06:44
I've just finished my training and am currently attempting to save enough for the drive up. However, what daunts me (and possibly other young CPLs) is the requirements many of these operators are after. I have seen and heard of plenty of 250 hour jobs going around, but when operators such as Kakadu (I've also seen Slingair and a few others) are asking for 400+ hours, which is around double what most newbies have, it makes for a difficult decision. Although I can appreciate there is a huge difference with an extra 150-200 hours PIC, especially if it is in a commercial op, it makes me rethink my situation and whether or not I'm better off staying at home a little longer, building another 50 hours or so to get me closer to this 'magical' 400 hour mark.

multime
26th Mar 2012, 07:35
Just do it Ben.
Alot of operators in short supply.
Not big pay at that stage in life, but plenty of experience.
Nothing to lose, i,d suggest.
Goodluck
M:ok:

wishiwasupthere
26th Mar 2012, 07:54
Minimum's can be adjusted for the right pilot. Send your resume in and follow it up with a phone call. Chances are you won't get to speak with the CP but leave your name and number and see what happens. You gotta be in it to win it!

SpyderPig
26th Mar 2012, 08:03
I got a job within a week of finishing. There is heaps of opportunity for young guys and girls who want to work, and willing to work hard an show they want the job. Get up here and give it a crack. The post above is right, if your the right fit the mins can be worked around.

Anyone can email and call from the east coast. Get some dollars and get up here

Hold_Short
26th Mar 2012, 09:13
Got my first gig with 162 hrs TT... Its amazing who gets the job when your actually there ready to go!

The rest is history and I'm so grateful for that first start. Go for it, nothing to loose everything to gain. Put an ad up for a backpacker to keep you company on the drive up. Always 2 ways to skin a cat. The adventure is just as fun as the job. Be safe ;)

Capt Claret
26th Mar 2012, 11:05
Ben_093, Touch&Go, et al,

'Twas the same 30 years ago when all of my contemporaries & I were looking for first jobs, 'Twill probably be the same in 30 years time too.

Hot High Heavy
26th Mar 2012, 12:31
Nows the time to come up.

I hit the road about this time 2 years ago with fcuk all experience and got a job within 7 days.

They aint coming to you, you need to put yourself out on a limb and go for it. The place i work at wont talk to anyone that isnt up here in person.

It seems daunting but youll have a blast!

compressor stall
26th Mar 2012, 20:45
The adventure is just as fun as the job.

And that says it all really. You'll be talking and reminiscing about your adventures up north long after you get into something that cruises at FL400. :ok:

framer
26th Mar 2012, 20:55
They are right. It's over a decade since I hit the NT looking for work and I still enjoy reminiscing about the adventures I had up there. It took me six weeks to get my first job back then. You have to be in their face, right there, ready to work hard.
PS it won't always seem like fun at the time , sometimes you'l wonder if you should flag it all away, thats when you need to be super determined and just keep going.

dhavillandpilot
26th Mar 2012, 22:23
A suggestion to all you new pilots, from someone who has employed pilots for over 30 years.

I'll look at a lower time pilot in the same light as someone with more experience if that person can bring other attributes to the company.

For instance how many of you actually thought what Bob's business Kakadu Air is all about. Most pilot would say it is about flying.

How wrong could you be, his business is actually tourism, the aircraft is just the means to do that busienss.

I would suggest you offer Bob not only your piloting skills but you people skills. An emphasis on the hospitality industry would hold you in good stead.

Similarly if you have worked in an office and can get around things such as MYOB you will find you are looked upon more kindly.

The simple answer is look at your application from the employers point of view and your resume and attitude may be somewhat different.

Best of luck.

Howard Hughes
27th Mar 2012, 01:50
Great advice DHP!:ok:

Ejector
27th Mar 2012, 02:08
DHP +1 :ok:

Although the difference of those 150hours is large, learning to deal with difficult customers, well not even that, These operators make money by going fast, flying schools make money form going slow as a general comment. If a boss likes you, and his insurance is super strict and non flexible, watch him help you get those hours, be it test flights, ICUS on freight ect.

Get in their face. Buy a tent, find someone else and split the fuel bill.

tarmac12
27th Mar 2012, 03:01
I was in Kununurra a couple of year ago and there were many more pilots than jobs. Around 30 pilots at any one time and to be honest and maybe 10-12 jobs for the whole year. Some people came through, stayed a few days and left as the amount of pilots in town scared them off. To be honest I don't remember anyone being hired who arrived after Febuary.

On the other hand though there seems to be alot more jobs around than 18 months ago which is a great sign. Try getting something a little closer to home before making the big trip up north. There are a few glider tug, paradrop and station flying gigs in country VIC, NSW and QLD which become vacant quite often.

If your straight out of YR 12 with your CPL and 200-250 hours with no other experience other than flying, I would consider getting some other skill to sell yourself. As another poster mentioned, being able to offer something else than your eagerness is a big bonus.

Anthill
27th Mar 2012, 03:17
I must have been the last fresh CPL to get a VFR SE charter job in a major Australian Capitol city. Mid '80s, YMMB-a bit of a shame because all the good flying stories seem to come from Up North or Out West. I had to go to Vietnam as a contract Pilot later in my career before I had any stories worth telling over a beer.

I had exactly 397 hrs when I got my CPL. I had done some private flying and a few years of being on the Tug pilot roster at the Gliding Club. I had flown Super Cubs, Pawnees and Austers; my first employer had 3 tail wheel Cessnas so I was probably a good bet. What I instinctively knew was that I had to be an employee who added value to my employers business.

In any industry, this is what an employer seeks: a staff member who can add value to the organisation.

My first job was my best job ever in aviation. A typical week would be a couple of frieght charters to Lady Baron, FLI or KI in a C206. A banner tow around Port Phillip Bay and some (paid) skydiving flying at Leongatha or Puckapunyl (C180/185). Later, IFR charters to every where (PA23/34/31). Then the mid '80s recession hit..and the 'phone stopped ringing... :ouch: