PDA

View Full Version : Not many E-Jets at Southampton anymore,why?

anne747380
25th Mar 2012, 21:02
I live near Southampton Airport and found that nearly all the nice Flybe Embraer Jets have gone.A friend said,that alot of them have gone to Manchester.I really don't like the idea of flying in a Turboprop plane when I have to fly from Southampton later this year.Can anyone here shed some light on this,many thanks.

adfly
25th Mar 2012, 21:25
Probably better in 'Spotters Corner' but as ever Flybe have 3 E195's based at SOU for the Summer plus there are a few flights from EDI/GLA/MAN based E195's! From July a GLA based brand new (!) E175 will operate around 3 of the daily flights on the SOU-GLA route and there should also be a few odd E175's from MAN too.

There is normally only 2 based in the winter and they are not fully utilised so that is the main reason why you have not seen as many as in the Summer!

I wouldn't worry about flying the Q400 there is very little to seperate them from a jet from a passengers perspective.

Finally heres a list of the routes Flybe use the E175/95's on from SOU(as per summer sechedule):

Alicante
Amsterdam (Only Fri morning flight)
Bergerac (Only Sat flight)
Beziers
Edinburgh (Around half the flights, check Southampton Airport schedule for more info)
Faro
Glasgow (Around half the flights, check Southampton Airport schedule for more info)
Jersey (One afternoon flight Sat and Sun)
Malaga
Manchester (15:30 departure and a few other odd flights, check Southampton Airport schedule)
Nice
Palma

Hope this helps! :ok:

Serenity
25th Mar 2012, 22:23
I wouldn't worry about flying the Q400 there is very little to seperate them from a jet from a passengers perspective

noisier, slower, narrower seats, less cabin baggage space (watch out for the £40 charge at the gate), no hot food, flies lower so more in the bumpy weather.

Agreed, SOU is woefully under based with E jets compared to other large Flybe bases like BHX and MAN but there is little competition (look out for the Veuling A319 and Air France/Regional E175`s this summer) and the BAA have yet to invest in SOU and provide enough parking stands for them!!

redED
26th Mar 2012, 08:21
I wouldn't worry about flying the Q400 there is very little to seperate them from a jet from a passengers perspective
no hot food

RTFQ. Hot food doesn't apply to pax.

Serenity
26th Mar 2012, 11:39
Something every other major airline provides that Flybe doesn't.!!
No wonder crews moan about the state of the service they have to provide.

gkmeech
26th Mar 2012, 14:49
I fly in the Q400 and E195 of Flybe. The E195 is comfortable and quiet, the Q400 is at best functional. On Thursday last SOU-EDI on a Q400, constant on and off loud vibration from beneath my seat, return on Sunday once again on a Q400, continuous hydraulic motor loud whine. Seems to me that each of the Q400 has a 'unique gimmick'.

EuroWings
26th Mar 2012, 16:38
The Q400 is pretty comfortable and quiet as far as turboprops go. A Fokker 50 (among many others) is much louder...

narrower seats, less cabin baggage space (watch out for the £40 charge at the gate), no hot food

You've obviously never been on an Embraer 145 or CRJ 200, both jets but they are much more cramped than the Q400.

JSCL
26th Mar 2012, 17:00
I prefer flying a Flybe Q400 than I did flying a TOM 757 last April to Italy. But I had that peril of a loud noise, seems that the A/C had an issue with the 'Q' aspect according to the report email I got back from their engineering dept. Very loud, made some of party sick, but I now fly with FlyBe religiously (mainly because only they fly there or their times are better) to some cities I travel to monthy.

MKY661
26th Mar 2012, 18:11
noisier

Last time I was at the Viewing Park at MAN they were very noisy, probably the noisiest aircraft actually. It seemed that anyway.

anne747380
29th Mar 2012, 22:13
Thanks for all your replies.Just read on another thread here that Birmingham is having alot of E-Jets
Are there more Q400 problems as the amount of E-Jet activity at BHX has gone through the roof in the last three days.

The spare 195 is now timetabled for BHX-GLA in the week making three operational plus visiting 195's from EDI, GLA and BHD but today has seen five based 195's, five visiting 195's and the one 175. Only one Q400 service cancelled today compared to two yesterday. The 195's were used on Q400 services to INV, HAJ, IOM & BHD.

At one point there was eight 195 arrivals in just over a couple of hours.

With the 175 I made it 30 E-Jet flights (60 movements) and I assume not
a permanent plan?

I realise two Q400's have gone to SN but I assume that was all taken into account.

Why have they all gone there?I love flying on the E-195,as it is a quiet and very comfy little jet.Last year I had to go on a Q400 and it was loud and I hated the vibrations.Don't like the Q400 at all.I'm dreading when I have to go to Hanover later this year as Flybe won't use the E-Jets for some reason.The cabin in the Q400 was full to the brim so why not use the jet.