PDA

View Full Version : Arrival Procedures for Kabul (OAKB)

davys747
25th Mar 2012, 17:34
This is directed at anybody with experience with Afghan procedures, especially Kabul.

All of the airways in Afghanistan are RNAV (as far as I can tell). The IAPs state that Radar or DME Required. It doesn't seem like there are any feeder routes from the airways to the IAFs so I was wondering how you get onto an approach without being vectored?

As an example, if you are on A453 from MIXEL to MURAD (MSA 16,500), how do you get to the IAFs of WEBRO (ILS 29) or LANNI (VOR/DME)?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers.

ironbutt57
26th Mar 2012, 03:31
Kabul approach will vector you on to final for the appropriate procedure (ILS, VOR, or RNAV)...they probably put you above the published profile, so be ready for a bit of a steep descent to regain said profile....

Twin2040
26th Mar 2012, 19:40
Also - radio / ATC is rather poor until in vicinity KBL - also expect tight vectors. Lost G/S several times - have fun. As Ironbutt57 says - early config saves it ....

ironbutt57
27th Mar 2012, 12:17
Yup, its painfully obvious their VHF equipment went to the lowest bidder, always a lot of frequency noise...:{

thebarrel
27th Mar 2012, 13:49
You'll get vectored from MURAD or TAPDO. On the way out you'll need to be at your height by your joining point, obviously.

EladElap
27th Mar 2012, 15:56
The approach controllers at Kabul are all pretty sharp. They are all ex-pats, and do an incredible job providing vectors away from both terrain and other traffic. If you are a little worried about being vectored in above the glideslope, just request to descend in the hold at WEBRO, down to 13600ft (I think it is off the top of my head), and that will avoid having to make any dramatic rates of decent to get onto the vertical profile.

As the guys have said, be prepared for very bad jamming on VHF, and also watch out for the choppers that will do parallel approaches onto the taxiways on either side of you, sometimes in bad vis. I've had plenty RA's on the ILS just before the TCAS goes to TA only mode, and it can be very unnerving in bad weather.

The other thing to factor in. DELAYS... both for arrivals and departures. When Karzai or one of his Cronies decide to go flying, the airport comes to a complete standstill, with little or no warning. You can expect departure delays when the VIZ drops below 5000m, up to an hour at the holding point (regardless of if you are an Airliner, or King Air). So if you have the luxury of extra fuel, and your company won't string you up by the nuts for taking extra fuel, then take the extra fuel.

I have been flying a medium cat turbo prop in and out of there for almost 2 years, so much of what I've said may have no relevance to your operation into Kabul, but I thought I'd share it nonetheless. Safe flying!

EladElap
27th Mar 2012, 16:01
One more thing. There is a lot of interference on the glideslope from arcraft holding at the holding point of RW29, they can cause a temporary loss of glide slope that can last upwards of 15-20 secs.

Also, at the last ISAF safety meeting, it was mentioned that the generators providing back up power for the LLZ and Glideslope are either without fuel or totally stuffed, and that as such there is no reliable source of back up power for the ILS. Just one more thing to factor in I guess. The VOR is generally reliable (4nm on the extended centreline), however the DME has been on/off most of the second hal of last year). I'm not too sure if it has been sorted out now.

Cheers