View Full Version : Tornado stopping....Wx

nomorecatering
24th Mar 2012, 08:01
An idea I've had for years regarding stopping a tornado.

A tornado approaching a town, with a well defined core. A large fuel air bomb is attached to a UAV and detonated say half way up the funnel of the tornado.

The theory being the vast overpressure created by the explosion would break down the pressure gradient long enough to snuff out the twister. Or maybe just nuff it out long enough for the front that generates the circular motion to pass over the town before the funnel reaches the ground again.

Thoughts anyone.

HKPAX
24th Mar 2012, 08:29
Any nuggets for us Julia???

Flying Serpent
24th Mar 2012, 09:53
How do you envisage getting the UAV inyo the funnel?

sisemen
24th Mar 2012, 10:02
I think the better bet is to merely tap your heels and you could be back in Kansas before you know it

ExXB
24th Mar 2012, 10:10
I've got a better idea. Just have the 'yanks' drive on the left hand side of the road. Cars passing would induce a clockwise wind pattern cancelling out the counter-clockwise tornados.

Mind you the death toll on the roads would well exceed the death toll from tornados, but it would be fun watching for a while. :O

tony draper
24th Mar 2012, 10:23
Had a similar idea years ago but more along the lines of detonating a nuke in the eye of a hurricane thus dispersing same when it is still out in the Atlantic,twere howled down in JB,some folks here have no imagination.
:rolleyes:

No_Speed_Restriction
24th Mar 2012, 10:52
I'd call Superman to do the dirty work. Lazy ba$tard, where is he these days?!?

ZOOKER
24th Mar 2012, 10:59
He's busy working with his new assistant, Nick Clegg. :E

Hydromet
24th Mar 2012, 11:01
As a student, I remember reading a comparison of the energy involved in various phenomena from small explosions to cyclones. If I can find it, it may shed some light on the feasibility. Personally, I reckon it's worth a try.

Krystal n chips
24th Mar 2012, 11:57
" Had a similar idea years ago but more along the lines of detonating a nuke in the eye of a hurricane "

This is a very commendable idea Mr D.....I realise it was a tornado in this instance, but you missed a heaven sent opportunity for a proof of concept trial...... with the one that touched down in Birmingham a few years ago....:E

Slasher
24th Mar 2012, 20:09
Yep very commendable idea Drapes but somehow I doubt the
achieveability with the physics involved. Can't stick me finger
on it but I it might come down to that Pv=NrT thingy and the
Law of Conservation of Energy.

Nasty hurri in the Atlantic could be controlled by sea temps if
we had the tech knowhow but then just simply blowing it the
fcuk up might have unforeseen benefits.