View Full Version : More laughs from the NT News

RJM
24th Mar 2012, 00:59
...complete with alliterative headline:

Dead Donkey A Dead-set Dingo Drawcard

http://i43.tinypic.com/2mot5pj.jpg

An armed boy who was driving unsupervised while towing a dead donkey on a remote Northern Territory track was planning on using the animal to catch dingoes.

Professional fox shooter Leigh Kent, 53, and his son Sam, 13, pleaded guilty ex-parte in Darwin Magistrates Court to 10 traffic and weapon offences.

Sergeant Wood said the ute came to the attention of police because it was towing a dead donkey on Coniston Rd, about 160km northwest of Alice Springs, about 1.40pm. The ute was unroadworthy and the driver, Sam Kent, 13, was unlicensed and uninsured.

The pair's lawyer said Mr Kent's uncle, who owns Pine Hill cattle station, had asked his nephew to manage the livestock.

He said the cattle were getting attacked by dingoes and he wanted his nephew, a professional shooter and farmer, to help fix the problem.

The father and son travelled to the station and spent time shooting dingoes before they came across the dead donkey by the station's airstrip. (That could be another story...RJM)

But Mr Liveris said Sam later took the ute to see if the dead donkey had been attacked before he decided to move it to a nearby waterhole and set up a "snare" - or trap for dingoes.

Mr Kent was asleep at the station when the youngster was pulled over on his way to the waterhole.

But Sgt Wood told the court: "As a father and adult, Mr Kent needs to be more responsible.".

galaxy flyer
24th Mar 2012, 01:17
Not long ago, folks here were getting a laugh out of Dad shooting up daughter's laptop. Rednecks are everywhere as Jeff Foxworthy tels us--it's an attitude, not a hometown.

GF

603DX
24th Mar 2012, 01:47
Never a dull moment up there, it seems! This bizarre story raises a couple of memories for me.

A few years back there was a very funny British TV comedy series, set in a TV news organisation. It was called "Drop the Dead Donkey", and the reason for this rather odd title was never explained. I assumed that it was meant to refer to some newsroom jargon for a "breaking news" item coming in and superseding a rather trivial item concerning a deceased pet donkey, or something like that. But this choice piece from the NT News about the Dragged Dead Donkey puts a different complexion on things. If this sort of surreal happening is common up there, perhaps the UK scriptwriters picked up their title from an earlier incident they read about! Either that, or perhaps they were prescient ... ;)

The other memory is of a happening in 1990 in Kenya where I was working on a structural survey of a number of microwave towers. Based for several days in Nairobi, we drove out daily to a nearby group of sites, and on the first morning we passed a dead donkey stretched out at the roadside, apparently expired from overwork, old age, or a road accident. On returning that evening it was still there, not attracting any attention. The next morning, there it was again, now noticeably swollen from the natural processes of decomposition, and in the evening it was like a huge grey balloon. Still no interest shown by passers-by, but this was Africa, we told ourselves, must happen all the time.

By the third day, the unfortunate creature was simply huge, the hot sun baking it to a turn, and despite the heat we were forced to wind our windows up as we passed, the stench was stomach-turning! Coming back that night, we wound the windows up in anticipation as we approached the spot again, to find that the carcass had exploded during the day, and all that could be seen was a miserable grey remnant in a pool of nastiness. No-one had been bothered about this roadside catastrophe, despite its absolutely unbelievable smell, and I wouldn't be surprised if there is still a pathetic stain on the road at that point. Just another day, in Africa ...

Flying Binghi
24th Mar 2012, 02:38

Didn't tinpis post this a while back.. ?

...This bizarre story...

About the only thing bizarre about the whole thing is what were the police doing out harrassing people going about normal farm work. As tinpis can recount there are area's of the NT afflicted with violence and minimal police. Why wern't the police there...

Slasher
24th Mar 2012, 04:46
Bet ten bucks and me left nut Sgt Wood originates from down
South. NT cops (admittedly my experience a long time ago)
were practical blokes and didn't interfere unnecessarily with
station activities a hundred bloody miles out in the sticks.

Either that or the Southern rot has spread North.

Solid Rust Twotter
24th Mar 2012, 05:00
...Either that or the Southern rot has spread North.

Reckon you've got it, Slash. Last time I dealt with NT cops they were extremely polite but utterly useless. Of course, that's not confined to NT.

Or Oz for that matter.

Zorro Polilla
24th Mar 2012, 05:10
Didn't tinpis post this a while back.. ?

The old ones are the best ones. :8

Takan Inchovit
24th Mar 2012, 10:42
But Sgt Wood told the court: "As a father and adult, Mr Kent needs to be more responsible.".

Kid has probably been driving since he first walked. Move on, nothing to see here!

tony draper
24th Mar 2012, 10:51
You Podlonians do have fun.:)
Two crocodiles trap man in flooded hut on Dinah Island, north of Karumba | thetelegraph.com.au (http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/two-crocodiles-trap-man-in-flooded-hut-on-dinah-island-north-of-karumba/story-e6freuy9-1226307848344)

TWT
24th Mar 2012, 12:30
Rednecks are everywhere as Jeff Foxworthy tels us--it's an attitude, not a hometown.
Well said that man :ok:

None of the above
25th Mar 2012, 10:24
603DX...

A few years back there was a very funny British TV comedy series, set in a TV news organisation. It was called "Drop the Dead Donkey", and the reason for this rather odd title was never explained. I assumed that it was meant to refer to some newsroom jargon for a "breaking news" item coming in and superseding a rather trivial item concerning a deceased pet donkey, or something like that.My understanding is that the title was inspired by a long running story in one of the British tabloids. Considerable coverage had been given to the practise of pushing a donkey to its doom from a church or bell tower as part of a Spanish festival. To the best of my recollection, considerable efforts were made by the readership of the newspaper concerned, to rescue the donkey next in line for a violent demise. As far as the title of the series is concerned, presumably a more pressing story had broken. It is rather a long time ago, and my memory is perhaps not what it once was, but I think that my account will stand scrutiny. Time does not permit searching around the web for a more definitive explanation.

Flying Binghi
26th Mar 2012, 13:04

...Rednecks are everywhere as Jeff Foxworthy tels us--it's an attitude, not a hometown

Whats a "redneck" ? and whats the relavence to this thread ?

Is this what yer about...
via crapapedia - "...unions appropriated both the term redneck and its literal manifestation, the red bandana, in order to build multiracial unions of white, black, and immigrant miners..."

Redneck - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_neck)

Riccal
26th Mar 2012, 13:15
NOFA - spot on.
Riccal

racedo
26th Mar 2012, 14:53

Typical bloody presumptuous cops............

How do they know Mr Kent is a father ?

Just because he states it doesn't make it so......

After all Policemen says they are law abiding people...........

alisoncc
27th Mar 2012, 00:05
Whats a "redneck" ?

I always understood that the term "redneck" related to those who worked in the fields planting or harvesting crops, ie. constantly leaning over in the sun hence a red neck.

parabellum
27th Mar 2012, 02:12
Rednecks - usually from the south of the USA, very conservative in outlook, not very racially tolerant, utes with gun racks are the norm.

Slasher
27th Mar 2012, 04:12
...not very racially tolerant, utes with gun racks are the norm.

That's why a lot of 'em are well liked. :ok:

Pinky the pilot
27th Mar 2012, 04:38
Guess it makes a change from croc stories.:ooh:

Either that or the Southern rot has spread North.

Sadly, I think you're right Slasher. SRT has it nailed too.

Fareastdriver
27th Mar 2012, 07:43
Last time I was in NT I was driving North towards Darwin when I decided to have a go at the old Stuart Highway. I cut off at a suitable place and spent the next thirty minutes dodging overhanging trees and potholes. Coming over a blind hill there in front of me parked across the road was a Police ute with two cops asleep. I slithered to a stop, they woke up and got out. It was a random breathaliser check.
I blew into the machine, there was no problem, so one moved the ute out of the way. I asked the other if he had had any trade.
"No," he said, "we weren't even expecting you."