PDA

View Full Version : A few questions

_Squatter
23rd Mar 2012, 08:21
I am in the process of seriously considering studying to become a pilot, I have a few questions:

Does age matter in relation to when you start studying and your employment prospects within the industry?

Do airlines overlook pilots who don't have as many flying hours as those who started flying in their 20s?

redsnail
23rd Mar 2012, 12:27
OK,
Firstly, can you pass the medical? No colour blindness (or it's at a level acceptable to CASA), no diabetes etc? Do you have a family? Do they understand the financial and time commitment required?
Do they appreciate that you may have to uproot them or be a long way from home for a few years?

Have you search the CASA site WRT to hours/exams etc? i.e. how long it will take?

How old are you?
Have you looked at Qantas, Jetstar, National Jet, Alliance, Qantaslink, Rex etc sites to see what they ask for?

In Australia there is an "experience commensurate with age" but it's not as hard and fast as it used to be. Probably because it's age discrimination and they're not supposed to do that.

However, the later you leave it, the tougher it is. A 30 year old "newbie" will have to work hard to get the hours and experience. A 40 year old "newbie" has very little real chance of getting a decent well paying job in Australia.

Good luck