PDA

View Full Version : 12 year option

AA48
22nd Mar 2012, 18:29
Can anyone tell me the definitive on whether promotion to s/l on a perm commission makes one lose their 12 yr option? Also whether there actually is a legal ROS attached to the promotion? Cheers!

Farfrompuken
22nd Mar 2012, 18:36
1. I think so

2. No

Jumping_Jack
22nd Mar 2012, 19:17
What he said...

Ivor Fynn
22nd Mar 2012, 19:46
If memory serves me, you have to do 3 years in rank to be entitled to the full pension.

Ivor

nice castle
22nd Mar 2012, 19:51
2 years in rank for the pension, but the little known fact is that if you leave before that, you get pro-rata the increase in pension.

3 years of service is required to ORD. So, if promoted on your 36th birthday, instead of having to serve until 38, that ORD would slip a year to 39. Thus you have to choose to stay 2 years as a Flt Lt having turned down promotion, or stag on for the extra year. That choice is obviously dependent on many factors, not least of which is what job you'll end up doing as a Sqn Ldr, so only you'll know if it's right for you.

AA48
22nd Mar 2012, 22:47
Cheers - I guess the pension is irrelevant as the 12 yr option negates that, but overall qu is do you actually lose the 12 yr option with promotion (and by 12 yr option i understand that as not a PVR and therefore not negotiable in terms of time to exit). If no ROS, and option is given up, then can always PVR but there are obvious financial consequences - esp if fg pay is a consideration.

I will have a chat with PSF or whatever it is these days and report back.

sargs
23rd Mar 2012, 01:32
You're a Flt Lt and you're seeking potentially career-changing advice from a bunch of anonymous blokes on an Internet forum? Have a word with yourself....

Whopity
23rd Mar 2012, 14:06
Can anyone tell me the definitive on whether promotion to s/l on a perm commission makes one lose their 12 yr option?The 12 year option is part of a contract therefore, before anyone can vary that contract they must spell out the terms of the variation.

blagger
23rd Mar 2012, 17:24
You do lose the 12 year option point when you accept promotion to Sqn Ldr (it is only for graduate entry on PC anyway) You will get a letter with new terms and conditions of service hat you have to sign before promotion.

Farfrompuken
23rd Mar 2012, 18:13
IIRC you lose the 12 year point on OFFER of promotion.

Up to you to accept it or not, you've still lost the option.

Any confirmation of this out there?