PDA

View Full Version : Sqn Ldr Jock Maitland DFC, MBE passes away

Finningley Boy
22nd Mar 2012, 13:11
Ladies & Gentlemen,

I've just read that Squadron Leader Jock Maitland DFC, MBE passed away on 16th March. While not knowing him personally I did speak to him once, on the phone, some years back. He is of course most synonimous with the creation of Biggin Hill as a Commercial Airport as well, of course, as the foundation of the Air Fair.

R.I.P. Jock.

FB

Jackonicko
22nd Mar 2012, 13:56
I sat next to him at some do, and learned of his exploits flying Spits in Palestine, Venoms with 249 (and Six?) at Suez, and of shooting down MiGs while on exchange with the Yanks (25th FIS) in Korea. What a bloke! What a loss.

See: Jock Maitland - RAF Sabre pilot - Aviation Classics Magazine (http://www.aviationclassics.co.uk/news/jock-maitland-raf-sabre-pilot)

FAStoat
22nd Mar 2012, 14:40
I am convinced he was actually a Group Captain,but never mind.Having flown many times at his superb Air Shows in the 70s,I find it sad another from that era has gone.His PA was Janet Hoare as I remember,and have many fond memories of their hospitality,and parties-not to mention his gatherings of WW2 Pilots from both sides,with Douglas Bader and Bob Stanford Tuck holding forth with Pete Thorn taking the pxxs of Bader's pipe smoking.Great times and a sad reminder that those times are a long way back now with fewer and fewer colleagues still around.The demise of Biggin Hill airshows ,under the new management, must have hit him hard.RIP Jock.

Captain Tercrew
22nd Mar 2012, 18:13
RIP Jock, what a gent.
Biggin Hill Air shows owe everything to him and his enthusiasm.

PPRuNe Pop
23rd Mar 2012, 06:16
By golly he has had a helluva life! He had to go sometime and must have been in his late 80's or even trying to get a century. I knew him well over many years. He was respected by most and had a good grasp of getting an air show together. The Biggin Air Fair was his main example. It is still his legacy whatever the management at Biggin Hill think. It was nice knowing you Jock.

FAStoat
23rd Mar 2012, 09:30
So true and so sad it all had to end.A veritable little tiger of a man.An absolute star.Once again RIP Jock

ARXW
24th Mar 2012, 16:55
Sad news. Have enjoyed the show myself and have always wanted to ask him this nagging question about his wingman from their Korean days, that other firebrand, called John Boyd... Wonder if he thought Boyd was as good as the legend says he was!

rmacdonald
8th Apr 2012, 12:34
I was serving at RAF Amman in Jordan when Jock Maitland arrived to take command of 249 Sqn. No orthodox arrival for Jock. He arrived - with his wife - in his own personal aeroplane!! (I believe it was a Percival Proctor). In those days that really was " a bit of one -up-man-ship!" What a character he was. Sorry to learn he has passed on.