PDA

View Full Version : ILS Unmonitored

frankthefrowner
21st Mar 2012, 15:15
Can anyone give some clarification to this NOTAM and any legal/procedure effect on IFR flying/filing. Thanks

zerozero
21st Mar 2012, 17:50
Unmonitored simply means if there's a failure of some component of the ILS (LOC, GS, DME if installed, etc...) there WON'T be an alarm in the ATC facility.

So, theoretically, if you perform an ILS approach in IMC, and, let's say, the LOC goes off line, nobody will be able to confirm it was the transmitter that failed (as opposed to perhaps your receiver, or other equipment).

Would I accept an unmonitored ILS in IMC conditions? The conservative answer is, no. As any resulting incident/accident could be considered "careless and reckless".

But honestly, in good vis, with high ceilings, daytime conditions, I can argue the risk is mitigated. Judgment call. That's why we get the Big Bucks!

:ok:

Island-Flyer
22nd Mar 2012, 06:27
Air NZ had a good video about a problem one of their flights had in Samoa (I think) with an unmonitored ILS. It made for excellent training.

AerocatS2A
22nd Mar 2012, 08:56
Air NZ and Apia part 1 to 3:

NZ60 Erronious ILS Incident, Apia - YouTube

NZ60 Erronious ILS Incident, Apia; Part 2 - YouTube

NZ60 Incident, Apia; part 3 - YouTube

slamer.
23rd Mar 2012, 09:17
Therefore. Unmonitored = unservicable

Butter12
27th Jun 2017, 10:13
5-3-5. UNMONITORED NAVAIDs

a. All VOR, VORTAC, and ILS equipment in the NAS have automatic monitoring and shutdown features in the event of malfunction. Unmonitored, as  used in this order, means that the personnel responsible for monitoring the facility have lost aural  and visual monitoring capabilities and cannot observe the status of the facility. It does not refer to the automatic monitoring feature.

b. When a navigational aid's operational status cannot be monitored at the controlling or monitoring facility, but all indications or reports are the facility  is  operating normally, issue a NOTAM placing the aid in an unmonitored status.

c. When issuing a NOTAM describing a facility as unmonitored, do not use the category of monitor, only the contraction UNMON.

EXAMPLE-
!DCA LDN NAV VOR UNMON

d. If the NAVAID is reported as being out of service, the unmonitored NOTAM shall be canceled.