PDA

View Full Version : Air Ambulance Experience Reqs in NZ

bugburd
21st Mar 2012, 08:30
Just wanting some info on the requirements to fly a/c on air ambulance ops in NZ. I know of the part 135 750hr etc requirements for any twin ifr commercial op. But I stumbled upon this online:

http://www.aia.org.nz/site/aianz/files/Aircare/Air%20Standard%20V1%200%202011%20Master1.pdf

(in particular page 13 - the reqs for being PIC of a multi-engine piston on a part 135 operation)

I am aware of some air ambulance/patient transfer operators that just use the standard part 135 750hr min. Does anyone know if the 1000hrs PIC and all the other requirements on page 13 actually apply to some operators as a bare or legal minimum or are they just guidelines?

Any help much is appreciated.
Cheers!

BurntheBlue
21st Mar 2012, 09:25
I'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong but I work for an Ambo Operator and this is how I understand it (I'm hazy on it because i'm well over that minimum so doesn't really concern me, misc information dump).

750tt for SPIFR under Part135 is the legal minimum. 1000tt is a preferred requirement put in place by the DHBs (I am unsure who the genius is that pulls these numbers out or where exactly they pull them from).

Generally the DHBs will NOT award contracts to operators that don't have pilots who meet their preferred minimums, they simply go to the next air ambo and pay a premium from the tax payer kitty to get what they want (or have been told by someone somewhere along the line that they need to have). So as far as the operators are concerned these minimums are a must.