PDA

View Full Version : Rental planes in Abu Dhabi

Shortypops
21st Mar 2012, 00:09
Hello everyone,

I am visiting Abu Dhabi in a few weeks and I'm wondering if anyone can direct me to any flight schools there that rent to PPL holders. I also did my training under the FAA in Florida, so would that affect my rental status at all over there?

Thank you

Shortypops
22nd Mar 2012, 19:12
Have done some google searches and the only school I've found is Fujairah Aviation Academy. However, thats too far of a drive from Abu Dhabi. If anyone has any insight please let me know. The maximum I'd be willing to drive is about 80km from Abu Dhabi.

a747jb
22nd Mar 2012, 20:04
Unfortunately, general aviation in Dubai is virtually non existent, everywhere ::hmm: I unfortunately do not know about Abu Dhabi, but in Dubai, I think there is a cherokee for rent at Dubai international, but i'm sure its expensive and I would guess you will spend the better part of 30 minutes waiting to take off. Everything else is too far. Maybe somebody has more specific info on Abu Dhabi, but I hate to say it, I don't think there is anything up that way. Sorry.

Shortypops
22nd Mar 2012, 23:35
Thanks for the info. Do you happen to know of any other Gulf countries that have GA? I'm in Kuwait (no GA here) for the next few years and I don't want to go that long without flying :bored:

Chinchilla.612
25th Mar 2012, 08:19
Hi Shortypops,

I'm afraid I don't know of any light aircraft you could rent near Abu Dhabi and I think you'd need a foreign licence verification & validation from the local CAA in order to do so anyway.

As you asked about other areas here with GA though, we do have a flying club in Qatar and there is a very keen GA scene with light aircraft, microlights, gyrocopters, light jets etc.

You would need to obtain a local licence to fly here though.

Hope that helps.

Qatar Flying Club (http://www.qatarflyingclub.net/)

Shortypops
26th Mar 2012, 17:51
Thanks for the info.

Would I be able to get my license verified and validated at the Qatar Flying Club? A friend told me I have to do a license conversion which requires a Class II medical and an exam along with a few hours flying with an instructor.

Chinchilla.612
26th Mar 2012, 18:29
Hi Shortypops,

Verification will need be done by the Qatar CAA. You would need to complete the forms required by the state which issued your original licence to be verified as well as the ones for the local CAA and pay any fees applicable to the foreign state. There is no local fee at the QCAA at the moment.

After your licence is verified the QCAA may then give you a validation of your foreign licence allowing you to operate a local aircraft. The validation will only be valid for a fixed period of time, during which you could complete the Air Law exam, medical and flight skills test.

Hope that answers your question.

Chinchilla.