PDA

View Full Version : Tailwheel training near Stansted

Johnny Tightlips
20th Mar 2012, 19:22
Hi all,

I am hoping to do a tailwheel endorsement during the summer. I am looking for somewhere ideally within one hours drive from Stansted. I would also be partial to trying some basic aeros at the same time. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Tupperware Pilot
20th Mar 2012, 19:59
Clacton.....
Did mine there a couple of weeks ago. There are great guys (and girls), I learnt way more than I was expecting!!:ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok:
Clacton Aero Club - Home (http://www.clactonaeroclub.co.uk/)
Might be over an hour but worth it.

4Screwaircrew
20th Mar 2012, 21:06
Andrewsfield have a Supercub, 20 mins from Stansted.

piperarcher
21st Mar 2012, 12:19
Panshanger has a Piper Cub, and there is an Extra 200 available for aero's. Panshanger is just on the Southern edge of the Luton TMA and is about half an hour from Stansted.

Ph1l
21st Mar 2012, 13:09
Nigel Wilson at Earls Colne did my tailwheel conversion, can do aeros too.

john ball
21st Mar 2012, 14:30
Why not try Cambridge on their Tiger Moths -- when you can fly them, most other taildraggers will seem fairly easy. What can be better than Flying a Tiger Moth in the summer evening air ? http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

Aviation Sensation
10th Apr 2012, 22:23
Hi all,

I would really love to find either club or private owned Cessna 120/ 140/ 170/ 180/ O-1 Bird Dog (any tailwheel!) - curiosity more than anything as I feel very comfortable in the 152.

It would be great if you are an instructor but if not I'm happy to help balance out and contribute towards fuel costs. I live up North but willing to travel (south of Oxford is probably a little too far).

I'm PPL holder finishing a tailwheel conversion and have approx 150 hours powered and gliding. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

cessna24
10th Apr 2012, 22:59
Andrewsfield are getting a Chipmunk in the next couple of weeks. Check their website or call the club for details. It's a great club, great atmosphere and good social 01371 856744

cessna24
11th Apr 2012, 11:52
Oh, that is a little too far! :-)
No probs though. Hope you find something nearer.
All the best
c24

VictorGolf
11th Apr 2012, 13:42
I believe Clacton Aero Club/Classic Wings will soon be starting instruction at Duxford. They have Piper Cubs for the tailwheel rating and you get to fly with the warbirds..."Hold for the B-17 on finals etc."

pilotmike
11th Apr 2012, 18:36
@Johnny Tightlips:I am looking for somewhere ideally within one hours drive from Stansted
@cessna24:Andrewsfield are getting a Chipmunk in the next couple of weeks
@Aviation Sensation:Thanks Cessna 24 but it's over 250 miles from me
... but it is only 15 minutes from Stansted, and cessna24's answer was undoubtedly directed to Johnny, the original poster.

It all reminds me of the 3 'hearing impaired' persons on a park bench:

1st "Isn't it windy today!"

2nd "No, I think its Thursday"

3rd "So am I, lets go and have a cup of tea!"

cessna24
12th Apr 2012, 02:17
Haha. I was just being polite! :-)
c24