PDA

View Full Version : Monopods and cabin bags?

jabird
19th Mar 2012, 21:06
Can anyone advise on taking a monopod as part of cabin baggage? It is just too big to fit inside my usual cabin bag which is a Lowepro photo trekker designed for carrying a good sized SLR and a laptop. As the technology has moved on, I've ditched the SLR for an Olympus super zoom compact and the laptop for a mobile and a proper hardback notebook.

Ideally, I'd rather still have the monopod with me - modern cameras have excellent stabilisation functions, but the monopod is great for anything which may have some motion blur. I wouldn't call myself a regular spotter, but who can resist when passing through SXM + should also be some good opportunities at AMS + CDG.

I will also be taking pictures of a triathlon - my 78 year old dad doesn't move too fast in the running section, but the pro cyclists are a different entity altogether! No shortage of light in SXM or NEV but I'd still rather have the pod.

Also not sure if I'll be checked through via SXM - NEV won't be a problem.

Tbh, if I wanted to do some damage on a plane, a heavy monopod would be quite a good weapon, but I've not seen them on a banned list. I'm more concerned that it would take the bag outside dimensions - and I haven't yet got round to buying one of those jackets where you can just "wear" your camera, laptop etc!

Airlines are WW BHX-AMS, AF CDG-SXM, Winair SXM-NEV, BE CDG-BHX

jabird
19th Mar 2012, 21:41
According to BHX website, tripods / monopods are not on the list of banned items, but the list doesn't cover all items. Presumably by now, if they wanted to ban it, they would have done? Am also taking checked luggage, so I still plan to take it with me one way or t'other:

Banned:

Toy or replica guns
Catapults
Household cutlery
Knives with blades of any length
Paper knives
Razor blades
Tradesman’s tools
Darts
Scissors with pointed tips and blades longer than 3cm
Sporting bats
Billiard, snooker or pool cues
Flammable liquids
Gas canisters, Butane energy cells

Noted - trademan's tools, but photography is surely a hobby or a profession (and the pedant in me would like to point out not all photographers are men either!).

Tableview
19th Mar 2012, 21:46
My tripod feet have metal points covered by a rubber cover. If this is the case with your monopod, I doubt if you would be allowed to take it on board.

zarniwoop
20th Mar 2012, 11:43
Billiard, snooker or pool cues

All rather similar to a monopod really.

As you've already stated the list isn't comprehensive, more a representative guide to what is not allowed aboard, I would say that it's unlikely to be allowed. Might be worth contacting the airport about though.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
20th Mar 2012, 12:15
"Take me to Havana or you'll feel the full force of my Manfrotto TR190XDB with the HD496RC2 head".

vip-1
20th Mar 2012, 13:08
hahahahaaha..."Take me to Havana or you'll feel the full force of my Manfrotto TR190XDB with the HD496RC2 head". PMSL...

Hartington
22nd Mar 2012, 11:29
I took a tripod in my backpack to Italy. Heathrow had no problem (or missed it) Milan Linate took it away. It was a cheapy so I just abandoned it.

I would pack it in the hold or not take it.

All-The-Nines
23rd Mar 2012, 10:32
Recently did a trip with a friend, 4 flights with a tripod in his hand luggage. No problem on the first 3 flights, on the final flight home from Lisbon it was confiscated for being a 'blunt object'. So it's evident that most airports don't seem to care and you'd probably get away with it, however if you can't afford to have it taken away from you then best not take it.

P.S. It was only a mini tripod, it was mainly plastic with a few metal components and it was about 20cm tall when folded up.

Lukeafb1
23rd Mar 2012, 15:31
I'm guessing here although I work out of LHR, but I would think that monopods, even if they are not on the banned list, could arguably constitute a 'weapon'. The fact that people have got away with transporting them in the cabin, is, I think, simply luck. Even in a carrying case, they still represent a potential weapon.

If they won't fit in an overnight bag or (preferably) a suitcase, I would err on the side of caution and leave them at home.

I certainly wouldn't risk having my expensive Manfrotto tripod or monopod confiscated.

Haven't a clue
23rd Mar 2012, 20:19
My monopod (and more often tripod) always goes in my hold baggage.

For reasons I cannot fathom I am always summoned back to the check in desk whenever my monopod in hold baggage goes through Chinese airport baggage screening. I know this and hang around the desk until summoned. I suspect they think it looks like a gun barrel, but I never get any explanation. It doesn't provoke the same reaction in Europe curiously, but maybe they see monopods more often.

However based on the Chinese reaction I never risk the monopod in hand baggage anywhere (it's a Gitzo, wasn't cheap, and I don't want to throw it away).

P6 Driver
24th Mar 2012, 14:39
"Take me to Havana or you'll feel the full force of my Manfrotto TR190XDB with the HD496RC2 head".

What an excellent choice - great minds think alike!

:)

(Mine always travels in the hold)

jabird
28th Mar 2012, 18:32
Thanks, AF kindly take two free bags these days (probably always have, but I'm used to paying for each), so no problem sticking it in the hold.

Security at SXM itself seemed quite lax, I forgot about the liquids I had in my bag and they didn't ask to see them.

jabird
8th Apr 2012, 02:53
In the end, on coming back through SXM I kept the monopod with me as it is also quite a useful walking stick, but by the time I got back to the terminal I couldn't check it in.

It then went through scans at SXM and then CDGx2, I was asked what it was the first time at CDG, told them exactly what it did and they weren't bothered.

Haven't a clue
19th Nov 2012, 09:17
Sign at Hanoi Airport security search area lists banned items in hand baggage including under item 4 "Murder Weapons" Axes, Knives....and Camera Bases.

You have been warned!

Agaricus bisporus
19th Nov 2012, 10:22
Fists, shoes, knees, suitcases, laptops and walking sticks are all "blunt objects". As are airport security staff come to think of it.

Never seen any regulation forbidding blunt objects. Don't believe them if it isn't on their list, they're making it up as they go along. Would they dare prevent you from taking a walking stick? What is the difference?