PDA

View Full Version : Any recent experiences at Aeros, in Gloucestershire?

MARCOFLY
16th Mar 2012, 16:15
Hi!
I'm looking for some people and their experiences about Aeros flight school in Gloucestershire.
I'll appreciate all comment or advice.
I'm interested in cpl,ir,me course.

Have a good day.

;)

MARCOFLY
17th Mar 2012, 10:53
I'm waiting for.......some news...
;-)

Bye
:ok:

pudoc
17th Mar 2012, 11:01
From what I heard from one of their own employees, stay away.

Deano777
17th Mar 2012, 12:09
I don't quite know why you'd want to stay away. Aeros are a very good outfit with professional staff. The best people to speak to are the students.

porridge
17th Mar 2012, 17:15
Agreed speak to the students - I know they have some good staff who are quite dedicated. As for management, well that's anyone's guess I afraid

MARCOFLY
17th Mar 2012, 17:16
Thanks for your replies!
I'll appreciate also other comments and past experiences.

Bye for now

:ok:

MARCOFLY
23rd Mar 2012, 17:45
Anything else?:E:E

chrysalid
29th May 2012, 12:39
I recently completed PPL training at Aeros, Gloucestershire. I can't comment on CPL/IR/ME training. I have no experience of other FTOs - so this may be a bit narrow in perspective.

Pros

- Friendly staff and environment. I had two main instructors - both were very competent. They would respond to emails / phone calls etc. out of working hours. Obviously, they weren't being paid for that - but they were clearly motivated for their student to be successful.
- Good aircraft availability. I trained in PA28s - and never had a problem with availability of aircraft.
- Proactive operations staff - they would call me if there was an issue with the weather etc.
- The CEO (Tom Dunn) pops in occasionally - he's friendly, approachable and "one of the guys".
- Free coffee and spacious, comfortable premises overlooking the runway (they recently moved locatations within the airport) - plenty of space for briefings, etc.

Cons

- During the earlier parts of my training, I'd often get a different aircraft each week (with different configurations of radio, nav instruments, etc.) - that made it even more confusing for a newbie. However, in recent months I've been able to reserve the aircraft I wanted.
- Their opening hours don't extend to the opening hours of the airport (Aeros finishes earlier) - however, the staff have often waited behind for me to return.
- I personally would prefer that the aircraft would be fuelled ready for each lesson/hire - but that's not always the case.
- Whilst the flying training was great I would have appreciated a bit more structure around the whole syllabus + useful tips on the non-flying aspects (e.g. how to prepare for exams, etc.)
- Their aircraft are maybe 20-30 years old - but I suspect that's typical for a FTO.

Overall, I've had a good experience with Aeros - they got me through my PPL (came at it later in life...). Their aircraft appear to be very well maintained and the staff are very professional.

I've since joined their "owner's club" - which gives reduced hire rates - so I guess you can count me as a happy customer.

Chrysalid