PDA

View Full Version : Flight Tracker Question!

PilotKarl_777-300
16th Mar 2012, 01:48
Hi lads,

We've been discussing this for a while now among instructors and an Ex ATC, and I still haven't got a clear answer.

Where does information in accordance to a flight tracker app (e.g iphone/android/online) come from?

-GPS
-ADS-B
-Transponder
-ATC center

Thanks! :)

PK777-300.

AussieNick
16th Mar 2012, 02:05
most of the flight tracker apps use ADS-B data.

planefinder.net takes ADS-B info from users and feeds that into their app. It all requires people to have ADS-B recievers and be willing to upload it to the net.

PilotKarl_777-300
16th Mar 2012, 04:45
Thank you very much AussieNick! :ok:

Have a great weekend!

PK777-300.

eocvictim
16th Mar 2012, 05:01
Not all of them necessarily require ADSB. Some systems use ATC data (SSR and logged times) directly. Unfortunately I'm unsure which services use which.

VH-XXX
16th Mar 2012, 05:55
There's also one out there called "FlightRadar24" which I believe shows ADSB.

Jabawocky
16th Mar 2012, 06:50
Simple answer

Web Track use a feed from ATC secondary radar so any Mode C equipped aircarft show up. They have limited tag info. This is for noise monitoring stuff :rolleyes:

The sites like Flight radar and Planfinder are all "plane spotter" type sites and they us private citizen ADSB / receivers who have a radio receiver and a data upload to the website of choice. You will see that each one has different coverage areas in Australia. In europe its almost 100%. Here not so much.

With the Flight radar you will mostly see RPT and RFDS movements, and the odd GA jet. There are about 50 GA aircraft in Aus now emitting ADSB. And if you knew where to look and what for......even a Retard Vehicle or two. One -10 in S.A. one in Qld ;) and a -7 out of YSBK.

Harro
16th Mar 2012, 08:16
Flightaware must use mode c as I conducted an IFR flight in a cherokee last weekend and to my surprise the entire flight was tracked and available for viewing there.

One things for sure , theres no ADSB in this old girl.

With the exception of the final descent, the entire flight was in radar coverage however.

One further point later that day I flew back along the same route , this time VFR and no plan. This flight did not get tracked so can only assume , you need to have a flight plan lodged or perhaps IFR for tracking to occur.